Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Gumtree
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Of all the ways to sell something, I am now 99% sure that Gumtree has the most time wasters. Just had another no show tonight. I can understand things happen, but they had my number so could shoot a text across to let me know they are not turning up.

I’m so annoyed, I can’t even be bothered to use this post as a stealth ad.

Grrr.

Northwind

It is spectacular isn’t it. I’ve never sold on gumtree but every time I actually turn up to buy things the seller seems amazed. It’s wrose than pinkbiek!1!!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve sold a few things on GT & have only been let down by people saying ‘I’ll let you know’. Everyone who’s said they’d turn up has done.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Proper den of arseholes and wrong ‘uns.

It’s okay for selling cheap cars, but everything else has gone badly for me.

km79
    Free Member

I’ve only ever sold one thing on gumtree, a boat. Listed the advert and before I even switched off the laptop my phone rang. Buyer popped round 20mins later for a look at boat, agreed to pay asking price, left a deposit then came back next night to pay the rest and collect.

I think I got lucky!

piemonster

I use gumtree for getting rid of crap. Time wasters are pretty much par for the course and I never offer to stay in.

Stick something up for free that could be resold at a car boot and they turn up proper sharpish.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You seem sad, Jamie.

Here is a picture of a nice doggie with a flower to cheer you up.

Hope this helps

Jamie
    Free Member

That dog is making me depressed.

I think we may need to break out the capybaras.

perchypanther
    Free Member

He should make you depressed.

I just sold him that Flower on Gumtree.
    Turned up exactly on time and paid cash.

Result.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You still seem sad.

Here is a picture of Chewbacca fighting Nazis whilst riding a giant squirrel.

That’s bound to cheer you up.

If you like , you can imagine that the Nazis are Gumtree buyers.

Hadge
    Free Member

One thing I found with Gumtree is that when I put my phone number on the ad, I got scammers trying it on. I was selling some expensive gear but regardless, it was a pain. Once I removed the phone number all was fine. At least it’s free unlike rip off eBay and it’s fees.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I really like Gumtree. Don’t put your phone number on though!
    Selling mobile phones brings out the idiots.
    I’m finding the worst for douchebags is Facebook Buy/Sell groups. A lot of mouth breathers.

I got my cat, car, flat and wife on Gumtree.
    Still have the cat, car and flat!

funkmasterp

I feel your pain Jamie. I tend to get people offering me random tat in exchange for what I’m selling. I was once offered some fishing tackle and a really good torch in exchange for a bike. I also get the ‘can you deliver it’ people who live miles away. Never had a problem selling furniture though.

Have a proper Gumtree to cheer you up

chickenman

There’s a C & W song in there somewhere YGH!
    I was able to (with the help of the boys in blue!) to buy my own bike back on Guntree. £600 discounted to zero..

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m finding the worst for douchebags is Facebook Buy/Sell group

That ‘place’ really is beyond the pale – I admit to being a bit of a FB fiend, blame having a family scattered around the world (or I just can’t sleep without knowing what someone I think I went to school with had for tea) anyway – when the launched that it seems they defaulted their App homepage to it – I don’t want to spend my evenings looking a a load of dodgy looking cars and stuff too crap to bother to car boot.

Although… there does seem to be a lot of women who think nothing of posting ‘bedroom clothes’ for sale, with pics of them wearing it – which links to their FB profile – who the hell does that?
    s[/quote]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Have had mixed fortunes, sold some stuff for good prices and had a now show. We have bought well from it.

Bregante

I’ve had my son’s bike for sale on gumtree for the last few days and it’s just gone this evening. It’s had loads of “interested” parties all of whom were offering 50% of what I was asking. One woman gave me a sob story about her car breaking down and asked if I could take it to Lytham St Annes for her to look at it. It’s 50 miles away..

Merak

Mixed bag ime. I have had my fair share of timewasters too. Had a chap exchange 46 emails last week, I knew he was pulling my pudding at #5 but I fancied a bit of sport.

My contention with it is this, I advertise something of not inconsiderable value. You express an interest in it, indeed you’d like to buy it. We arrange for you to come and see it at my home. You don’t trap though. So, now I have something you want, and you know where it is.

To that end I now say, I’ll meet you at Tesco or whatever. If someone doesn’t like it then jog on.

Better than eBay because no fees but still full of James Hunt’s.

Klunk
    Free Member

bought a gaggia classic 2 weeks ago off gumtree, old couple in a very nice house. Thought the buggers ripped me off as the flow rate was appalling just hadn’t cleaned or descaled it in 10 years 😯 . Banged in some citric acid and it now making some of the nicest espresso I’ve ever had 😀 .

rmacattack
    Free Member

it’s simple isn’t it. its free to post and reply. no fees , only going to attract a certain type.

eskay

Advertised my trailer on there and someone offered me £20 more than the asking price. They turned up 30 mins later, paid for it and towed it away.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I tend to use it to salvage a few quid from things I would otherwise have to tip. E.g. Duplicated gardening tools when we moved in went for 5er a pop with no hassle or no shows. Decent enough folk too.

However, when i advertised my basic hi fi separates and against my better judgement sent them via the buyers courier to the other end if the country, they blocked the paypal payment for non-existent faults and I had to refund a fair slice of what was already a low selling price.

So 50:50 from me. Definitely local only. Almost certainly low value. Definitely not stealable stuff like phones, bikes, tablets or laptops.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Further to stories above we have only used it locally and cash on collection only – both buying and selling

RustySpanner

Bought a BBQ from an alcoholic and a Dreamcast from a drug addict.

Some nice, cheap guitars locally, but I’m too scared to call round and look.

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s the place to go to find stolen bikes though. Easier for people to shift them instead of down the pub.

Freecycle can be interesting too. Very shifty people turning up for freebies and worrying that they’ll be trying to nick other stuff at the same time or are checking out what new stuff you’ve got and come back when you’re not in.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’ve bought and sold tons of stuff on Gumtree and never had any problems at all. I never post a phone number and always make it clear I want cash when the item I am selling is picked up. I don’t think I’ve even had anyone haggle over price either.

I always remove an item when it’s sold as well. It really irritates me when people don’t do that when I want to buy something and find that it’s already gone.

I’ve had more hassle with the classifieds on here at times so I guess arseholes abound everywhere irrespective of the platform.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Yea it is absolutely full of time wasters, sold a few things but it’s hardly worth the bother. Everyone on it seems to want what you are selling for free. Add the fact that I live in N.I and have to deal with Belfast ppl.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tried to ‘sell’ some new (we used them as ballast) storage heater bricks on Freecycle, collection only, and noted that they’re very heavy so will need a big car/van/several trips.

“Can you deliver them, I’ve not got a car”.

No you f****** numbnutted illiterate mouth breather, if I wanted the hassle of loading them up and driving them somewhere it would be the f****** tip down the road.

Got my old commuter bike for £20 off gumtree though, painless enough and came with decent lights and pannier racks which I still have!

soobalias
    Free Member

gumtree, ebay, freecycle, FB, here, same problems to differing degrees with each.

its why I still have a pile of stuff that’s too good to dump, just waiting till I bump into someone who has a use for it.

body armour and full face? punto electric window mech? 70L North Face rucksack? pair of 10kg dumbells? Oil Filled Electric radiator? 2m keep net?

RustySpanner

Er, that Punto window mech.

I’m wondering if it’s passenger side, and if so if it’s the same as the Doblo mech?
    Ours hasn’t worked in ages.

I can swap you four empty plastic fuel cans (one red), a rusty Michelin tin wall map of the UK, 2 dozen old size golf balls or an unused set of Halfords medium snowchains.

Ooh, I’ve got an oil filled radiator too.
    We could swap those?

soobalias
    Free Member

its passenger side, pimms me.

what about, one fuel can, 6 golf balls and just a single snow chain (ive got a trike)?

RustySpanner

🙂
    Thanks, much appreciated.
    Will check if it will fit, fingers crossed!

You’ll need three snow chains, surely?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

so is it worth the 15% (ish) ebay tax to avoid ijits who don’t show up or do, but with half the cash?

stevemtb
    Free Member

One of my bikes was advertised on a Facebook for sale forum, first person asked me where I stay and how many other bikes I have – ad got pulled. A mate advised on Gumtree, the bike sold in a day cash in hand. Same with a set of winter car tyres. Neither generated any spam or scam type calls.

Gumtree would be my first place for selling a cheaper bike now. No idea if I’ve got lucky or the scammers have changed platform in my area now.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Gumtree’ is closed to new replies.