Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Guitartrackworld… I may need a bigger amp….
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

My Mesa Boogie .50cal has died – off for repairs (maybe) if it is possible, but the whole thing is basically cooked. Full rewire of a hand wired amp is not a cheap thing, especially when they decide it is “vintage”.

The only other amp I have to hand is a Blackstar 5W mini stack thing (my practice amp) – but the sound is a bit meh. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem, but then the phrase was uttered that we should “put the band back together”. Probably this summer.

So – what’s worth looking at out there these days? I was thinking Orange Dual Terror (or more likely a Dual Dark) though a closed back 2×12 or 4×12 perhaps. Anything else worth a look?

Sound wise… think a heavier NineInchNails….

It will almost certainly be fed with the output of Les Pauls and similar (weighty guitars with two humbukers ranging from PAFs to Invaders with a Dirty Fingers in the mix somewhere – although this may change too. I feel like a refresh is needed on the sound of 15 years ago!)

MartynS

Definitely orange..
    heard good things about engl. also have a very good look at victory amps, silverback or RD1,,

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Yeah… I tried an Orange years back and loved it. Almost enough to chop in the Boogie, and it has kind of been on my mind ever since.

I think I may need to test the Dual Dark and Dual Terror in the near future. The output should be fine from either (mic up anyway), but I do like a good bit of ooomph anyway 😉

Now… just got to remember how to play the guitar again – and more specifically the parts that I need to play!

monde
    Free Member

How varied does your tone get?

Know a lot of people are gigging with the Kemper profilers (powered version). Not cheap but amazing sound that can be as varied as you want and can also be used as home amps.

slowoldman

I can’t help but you must get the Mesa Boogie fixed.

jimbobo
    Free Member

Where in the world are you? I know a man…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It’s been sent to my (almost) brother-in-laws Dad whom used to build radios in naval ships at sea to see what he can do with it.

No one outside of London seemed willing to touch it!

Tone was generally on the heavy side of things, although with a few clean tones thrown in now and then… occasionally a bit more bluesy… but mostly heavy 😉

durhambiker
    Free Member

From a versatility viewpoint I’ve got my eye on a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40. Went guitar shopping on Wednesday and they had one set up so I used it to try out the guitar through. All valve, but can save every parameter apart from master volume to a preset which can then be recalled via midi. 40w but can be dropped to 20w, 5w or 1w so good for home use as well. Got some great sounds out of it, especially in the Ultra mode…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have seen them on t’interwebs… looked kinda interesting, but never seen one in the flesh – I shall hunt one down for a play!

CaptainSlow

Does it have to be valve?

I bought a kemper last march and haven’t played any of my valve amps since. Very easy to get decent tones out of and there are some great free and commercial profiles. Sounds great at any volume.

If you’re interested in a Marshall or laney sound, I may be able to help – I’ve an IRT studio and jvm 205 to sell. No point me keeping them …

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be valve – just not heard anything solid state to match valves yet (but I haven’t been in the market for a long while).

I ain’t buying just yet though – getting ideas for the moment. The Boogie may be sorted in time if I am lucky!

CaptainSlow

Not sure what your budget is but there is tech out there that matches valve and has many other advantages. Lots of pro musicians use it now in the studio and on tour. Much cheaper to tour with etc it’s just a matter of taste now.

Check out kemper, line 6 helix, fractal ax8 and their axe fx. For home use I’d plug them into a pair of frfr monitors (I use Yamaha hs8’s). For live I’d either buy the kemper with the power amp and go to a 212, into a powered frfr wedge and/or iem’s. the output from the kemper/axe/whatever would go to the venue foh.

I’m guessing you’re not a young whippersnapper anymore so probably won’t want to be unloading 412’s and a 100w head?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I recently got a Dark Terror. Using it in place of a 50w Randall RM50
    Volume wise it is fine. I run it through a Marshall 1960 cab. Heavy rock/metal with a Les Paul. Set the volumes and gain halfway. We’re not micd either and loud – bassist uses 2 SVT heads and 8x10s and other guitar is a old Hiwatt and Mesa 412.

Don’t write off the 15 watters

jimbobo
    Free Member

If you’re near leeds, the guy that looks after my 70s Marshall was one of the original people that made orange amps…

metalheart
    Free Member

I have a H&K tubemeister 18, way, way, way too clinical for a tube amp. Never gets that lovely warm sound that my Laney used to get after a couple hours, should never had sold that amp… 😥

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Jeff at Matamp?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am not sure what my budget is yet either!!!!

Interesting comment on the Tubemeister – clinical is not what I am looking for! I will take a look anyway (curiosity), but sounds like the Orange is looking more “me”.

I used to love Marshalls, Jim was half responsible for buying my first electric guitar for me! I haven’t really looked at the more recent stuff from them – last time I tried one I was slightly underwhelmed… and this comes from someone who has always lusted after a Bluesbreaker! That wouldn’t be ROCK enough for me for this project though 😉

Some of the Laneys caught my eye a while back, so will take a look at those (Ironheart although it was the more chilled Lionhearts I was looking at last time… but that was for a more bluesy idea I was playing with rather than the Industrial/Goth kinda direction that I am going back to).

Will check out those non-valve suggestions too, ta 🙂

I had tried a 15W Terror in the past – and the sound was brilliant! Very Angus Young tones achieved with no effort – I very, very nearly bought it. I am thinking two channels may be useful though as I do (sometimes) use a clean tone or two 😉 The Dual Terror or Dual Dark would probably be more versatile though.

I did like it though!

Not tried the Dark yet, but the description sounds a bit more suitable for purpose!

kayla1
    Free Member

I got a 90s US-built Peavey Bandit 112 80w combo for £30 about a year ago from a Gumtree ad. It’s solid state but has some electrickery that can simulate a tube amp if you want it to. My SG sounds lush through it even though I’m too polite (end terrace) to have turned it much past 4!

edit- one these-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peavey-guitar-amplifier-model-bandit-112-with-sheffield-speaker-/172493180758?hash=item2829650f56:g:cicAAOSwLEtYgMVf

edit edit- you can add an extension cab to fetch it up to 100W.

metalheart
    Free Member

Interesting comment on the Tubemeister – clinical is not what I am looking for!

Yeah, me neither as it turns out 😥

If you find yourself up in NE Scotland you’re more than welcome to take it for a spin. It might be something to do with mostly playing it in 5w mode, I don’t know.

I just happened to mention to a mate who I was having coffee with this morning that I was looking for a Fender Champ and he says ‘I’ve got a Vibro Champ I bought back in 71/72, you can borrow it you like….’ Result!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Actually, sorry, mine is the Jim Root Terror.
    It’s based on a different amps distortion channel (Rockerverb as opposed to the standard Dark which is the Thunderverb), has a 3 band EQ, wider usable gain range and an FX loop.

I didn’t like the ‘signature’ aspect of it, so decorated it:

mutley

The Laney Ironhearts are very good. I’ve got an IRT Studio 15w and a 2×12. Had to buy an attenuator for use at home, even on the 1w setting. Good range of tones and I play mostly metal stuff but it has a great clean channel and loads of IO options. Oh yeah and re-amping, which is like some sort of magic

rOcKeTdOg

My goodness, a what amp thread. This could take a while

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I was thinking the IRT Studio a while back – so that is an interesting comment Mutley. I could probably hook that into the Blackstar 1×12 cab for the time being to give me a bit more headroom whilst we get things working again – then either run straight to PA or pop it through some bigger cabs depending on needs.

Be handy for the recording aspect too.

Interesting… perhaps this isn’t a shoe in for the Orange 😉 Not sure if Promenade Music in Morecambe have one to have a play on, may need to pop in sometime for a look. The band will probably be based in Glasgow though once things come back together (currently it is… erm… globally challenged) so I will have plenty of chance to try more stuff out!

Some other good ideas in here too though 🙂

I think I need more amps personally – love the idea of those wee micro-heads. If I ever get space for a proper studio I plan to have loads of em!!!!

durhambiker
    Free Member

I also like the look of these…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GapI0E_UfjA&t=0s[/video]

Andy-R

yourguitarhero – Member
    We’re not micd either and loud – bassist uses 2 SVT heads and 8x10s

Rather him than me, humping that lot – nowadays I’d struggle to lift an SVT head, all 70 lbs of it. I knew that there’s a reason that I use solid-state amps these days. (2 x Mackie FR800).

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Re: those synergy amps.
    I’ve got the Randall MTS ones they’re based off.
    2 channel 50w 1*12″ and a single channel 15w 1*12″ and about 6 different ore amp modules.

Really good system, was overpriced when new.

Good to see the Synergy take on it, and backward compatibility too. Randall stuff was worth **** all second hand so I got bargains. Maybe worth more soon

Inbred456
    Free Member

What is your budget? Is it just a head unit or a combo your after. I’m very impressed with the Marshall 40 DSL but might not be enough headroom for you. Victory heads sound superb. Awaken the kraken!

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you want NIN but heavier this bad boy is the way to go but you will probably need remortgage the house to buy one 😉

I’ve played in a few hardcore bands in the past and the best addition to a heavy sound is a good pre-amp IMO. Then it doesn’t really matter what amp you use.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Ooooh I do love me a Dual Rectifier. Had one with a V Twin running into it for some recording time once….. epic!!!

The Mini Rectifier looks kinda interesting too. Do love Boogies!!! Just hope my .50cal is salvageable (way too tatty to be evonomically salvageable, its had a tough life! Sounds divine though!)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Blimey – you can tell how long I have been out this game… last time I had a Portastudio it ran on C90s and could only cope with 4 tracks!

Just ordered up an 8 track jobby, with a built in drum machine that is digital and cost half what I paid for the old Tascam back in the day! It should sound a bit better too (I recall those slightly stretched tape tones, hiss and crackle… and degradation of “quality” further each time you mixed down!

I may indulge in some mics rather than using amp simulators too… but that can wait 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

Just got a lend of the Vibro Champ…

Oh man! Vintage hot rod tele through at 6 with a touch of Vibro…. Sweet!

Just as well I’ve not immediate neighbours 😆

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have no immediate neighbours either… but wife and kids kinda stops the excessive ampage in-house sessions these days 😉

Not tried a Vibro Champ – I used to try everything I stumbled upon too!

CountZero

Yeah… I tried an Orange years back and loved it. Almost enough to chop in the Boogie, and it has kind of been on my mind ever since.

Fond memories of ZZTop in London with a curved wall of Orange heads and stacked twin cabs running right around the band.
    😀

Edukator
    Free Member

Were the Orange heads upside down, Countzero? Billy used/uses Marshal, Fender and Magnatone (which are also sometimes orange in colour). He has sometimes been seen with Orange stuff in the UK for contractual reasons but turned the heads upside down to indicate he wasn’t using them, there were Marshal heads for the sound. A lot of the ZZtop stage stuff is just decoration. He is plugged into his own sound rack which goes to the PA and the volume on stage is kept down.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Guitartrackworld… I may need a bigger amp….’ is closed to new replies.