Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Guitars for kids – help
  • woody2000

I’ve been tasked with getting guitars for our 2 eldest boys (7 1/2, 6 and a bit). They have both expressed an interest in playing one, but I’m aware that kids change their minds pretty quickly too. With that in mind, can the STW hive recommend a beginners guitar setup that’s of reasonable quality, but that won’t break the bank if they decide in 2 months that they hate it!

Also – lessons or self teach? I do not have a musical bone in my body BTW 😉

TIA 🙂

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I would say lessons.

Guitar wise – probably best to go to a GOOD local guitar shop and see what fits them comfortably. 1/2 size is probably going to be the one though.

Kryton57

My 7yo is currently have 30 minute lessons using a £50 (new) half size steel strung acoustic.

Keep the guitar in good nic and you can easily flog it to the next parent.

I’n KJ01’s case he’s proving rather good, just has the usual 7yo problem – attention span.

wors

My lad has had a 3/4 acoustic for the last 3 years which has served him well £50 from the local music shop. He is currently wanting an electric guitar with amp….

woody2000

You mean I’ll have to go to an actual shop! 🙂

Turns out there is one locally that I didn’t even know about, who also do lessons. Guess where I’m going this weekend…

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

woody where are you based, we have a spare guitar going a-begging. daughter has sized up.

woody2000

I’m nr Huddersfield, HD6 mate

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

oh ok I’m down South S. Hills way.

If y’r ever this way you can have it for a very small donation to MSF

jimbobo
    Free Member

I might be able to help here a bit… I run http://www.facebook.com/starguitarleeds a little hobby thing where I buy buy old guitars, fix em up and then share them out on a pay as you feel basis, with all money raised going back into the project. I’ve got a few 3/4 nylon strung guitars in at the moment, and will soon have a 3/4 size electric fixed up and ready for action too. Not only do i line in Leeds, which is quote close, but I work in Huddersfield (at HRI) which is even closer!

let me know if you fancy some cheap guitars?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Guitars for kids – help’ is closed to new replies.