Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 3,696 total)
  • Guitarists of Singletrack…
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Sometimes just trying everything is better than owning the single best option. As in, they enjoy the process of owning a Flying V for a few months because they always wanted one, then move it on for something different when they realise how impractical it is.

I always wanted a Cannondale with a Lefty. Deep down (OK, not that deep) I know it’d be terrible but I’d like to tick it off the bucket list!

Edukator
    Free Member

The amp blew up last week mind,

Sounds like the Egnator was the better deal. 😉 Teasing apart, why did you let the Egnator go? Nice clean tones and plenty of gain if you’re that way inclined. And a good pedal plaform.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Wrong end of the stick Ed….I received the Egnater….which promptly blew up last week. I actually used it on tour in ski resorts last winter….which even for someone with 15 years experience as a pro, was something of an eye opener in terms of “rock n roll excess” 😳

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Andertons have sent me a label to print out for them to send a courier tomorrow to collect my bricked Ditto X4. Lovely people to deal with.
    They did howeverask me to log a service ticket with Music Tribe – the website for all things TC Electronic, Behringer and more – to see if it could be sorted over the phone.
    Dear god that site is a pain and the service guy didn’t seem to have read the original info I submitted. Even when I pointed out it was bricked and wouldn’t restart he seemed to feel that updating the software would solve it, despite the fact that nobody on the internet with the same problem had cured it that way. He even said I needed a Windows machine instead of a Mac despite the fact that they do a Mac version of the updater with exactly the same method of using it listed.
    It really sucks dealing with them even though the product they sell seems by and large pretty good.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@chiefgrooveguru
    You got a nice shoutout on That Pedal Show Q&A today. 👍🏼

chiefgrooveguru

@eddiebaby Cool! When in the show? An ill wife, two small children, a baby and a business is leaving me very short of time!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@chiefgrooveguru
    Just after 15:30. A guy is asking about open baffle cabs for a wet/dry rig.
    Hope your wife perks up soon.

chiefgrooveguru

Brilliant, thank you!

I’ll have to post up there regarding the questioner’s open baffle idea…

Edukator
    Free Member

Madame didn’t flinch when I said I’m going to the guitar shop later. Main thing on the list is a Maxon OD-9, the “greenbox” is the stomp box I use most on my Mustangs so I thought I’d try the real thing with my tube amps.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So had the chance to make the comparison? I’m assuming the green box is a tubescreamer.

Edukator
    Free Member

Nope, out of stock and the shop has nothing else to order from the Maxon supplier so I’ll be patient unless one comes up second hand. I’d rather buy new given that some year model tubescreamers from Maxon and especially Ibanez had duff chips in or other issues. The “Greenbox” stomp box model in the Fender Fuse software is their take on the tubescreamer but it’s a bit agressive for my taste – too coarse grained.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I always liked the ‘tubescreamer’ in GuitarRig but I’m getting pretty close with the Texas drive in side A of my Strymon Sunset. Sounds good into my DT25 amp or my Iridium.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@chiefgrooveguru
    Just seen one of your cabs is in the raffle on TheFretboard. Nice one. Just about to enter.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@chipps
    Just noticed on my Snake Oil pedals classified that you asked about the Strymon Sunset.
    I think it is pretty epic really.
    Even my clean sound tends to go through a TC MojoMojo as I like what it does on min8mal gain but theSunset jacks it up to another level. The three sounds on each side are good in their own right but are really designed to work well together. Only having the two channels plus the one favourite seems a bit limiting but via MIDI the world is your oyster. Full on fuzz is just out of reach into a clean amp but the clean JFET boost and the treble boost do get things a bit rowdy and the Texas (aka Tubescreamer) is pretty impressive.
    I run mine into a Line6 DT25 for my dry sound and with a just on the edge of breakup sound I can get it easily to get nasty in a variety of flavours.
    The wet side is running into an Iridium in the effects loop of my Plethora.
    This lets me bang the compressor in before the Iridium or not as the case may be.
    Wet/dry is working well for me. More so than simple stereo.
    The good thing is if I hit one switch and mute the dry side and another to disengage the Iridium I am running into an 800W Stagesource FRFR that works with the acoustic/resonator sounds on the Variax.
    I just need to get the MIDI switching sorted as soon as I get some spare cash. I’m currently using my POD HD500X as a midi controller that is bigger than the pedalboard.

IMG-3227

Tom-B
    Free Member

My pedalboard neatness alarm is going off!!! 🤣

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Its silent and sounds great, but yes I agree totally.
    Just really need to sort the power supply and the what will do the midi switching and then spend the £450 or do on board, power, cables and patch bay. Definitely having the expression pedal off board and will need to find a way to get a wah off board too. The Ditto X4 has no place on there either. Maybe one of the new little Dittos but for wet dry that doesn’t really work as I’d want a stereo pedal after everything.

chipps

@eddiebaby Interesting rig! I’ve been going through all sorts of pedalboard mutations in search of the ‘perfect’ setup – but what I’ve ended up with is three different, loaded, pedalboards and a want for a fourth… I’ve joined a ‘dad rock’ band this summer, which only really needs a Marshall and a tuner, but it hasn’t stopped me from shopping for alternatives… as well as realising that at home, I like other different noises…

1. The huge/ambient/top shelf job… Three or four drives, then Strymon Deco, El Capistan, TC Flashback2, Strymon Flint and a Walrus Slo reverb… all on a giant bit of plywood with cowboy tooled-leather style tolex box sides. Mostly going into a home made 18W Marshall-style head from Ampmaker. Wiring and power on that one was interesting… Ended up with a Strymon Ojai and another power unit too. I’ve not tried moving it anywhere yet, I doubt it would fit in the boot of the car either… 🙂

2. The metal shop – EHX LBX2 lunchbox head, 2×10 cab, with a ‘minimal’ board of tuner, mini/cheapo chorus, delay and noise gate, plus passive volume knob all in the FX loop. Noisy (hence the attenuators) but sounds hrrrrock!

3. What I had all along, Boogie Lonestar Special, two channels and boost is all I really need, but I’ve still added a TC Nova Delay, tremolo and chorus in the FX loop, plus an extra boost and Klon-style pedal in the front end.

4. I looked at the Plethora, but ended up going for the Boss MS-3 for amp switching and potential for three external loops… It actually has some great drives in it too, so who needs an amp? Not really sure what to do with this one at the moment… Might run it, four cable style, into the Boogie, but that then does away with my ‘simple’ outfit (the one with the eight pedals… Oh, OK…)

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I play guitar but haven’t the foggiest idea what the latter part of this thread is about!😶

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I play guitar but haven’t the foggiest idea what the latter part of this thread is about!😶

Unnecessary toys innit?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

As I’ve said elsewhere though the thing I play through 99% of the time is a Yamaha THR10 II. 😁

THRII - 2-1

AdamT

I have a MK1 thr10. Love it.

whatgoesup

Ah – I’ve a question re the THRII.
    Mine doesn’t have the “mode” switch (classic, boutique, modern) so to use all models needs the remote app.

Is it possible to set up presets 1,2,3 with one on each mode so that the amp then stays on that mode as the amp model is changed? This would be great to be able to use all 15 amp models just from the amp controls.

I’ve tried this but it just defaults to “modern” when I change the amp model dial. How do you get it to “lock” on to each mode?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve never considered that. When I wake up properly I’ll have a fiddle.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Not really noticed that before. As far as I can see you can’t get it to stick as say’Boutique’. I’ve got so used to selecting the amp group via the app and then tweaking via the physical control. Until you save the preset its stays with in the amp group.
    What is annoying is that almost certainly there is the same functionality in that part of the amp as the bigger models but there isn’t the selector switch
    I think the only hope is to open it up and have a fiddle. Bit risky unless you have THR10 wireless to look at.
    In fact probably risky even if you do have one to hand.

Superficial
    Free Member

Is it possible to set up presets 1,2,3 with one on each mode so that the amp then stays on that mode as the amp model is changed? This would be great to be able to use all 15 amp models just from the amp controls.

I don’t think so, although I’ve got the 30W version with the physical switch. IME it’s best to think of the amp controls as being 15 discrete amps, of which 5 are accessible via the front. Three different clean amps, three crunches etc. The amp category is a bit meaningless.

When I change amp using the dial it jumps back to whatever category (modern/boutique/classic) the switch is set in. Might be different when there isn’t a physical switch locking it to one category I suppose. I can see that’s a bit annoying – I never really use the app so I can see it would be irritating to use an app just to switch amp. The app is easy to use, just not as easy as physical buttons.

Here’s someone who hacked the (original) THR10 open. It seems way too deep for me to want to have a try (and I’m usually quite up for tinkering).
    https://www.instructables.com/id/THR10-Effect-Loop-Modification/

whatgoesup

I’m not up for hacking the PCB, even if in the easiest case there are a few points for the switch on the 30 that just isn’t fitted to the 10. I’m sure someone will do it and post how they did it sooner or later.

It looks like the mode switching is just via the app then. Whatever mode the amp was last set to is the mode that the amp defaults back to as soon as the amp model knob is turned, regardless of which mode the amp was in at the time from the preset.

Totally a first world problem I know !

elwoodblues
    Free Member

Great thread!

Just dug my old spanish acoustic out of the attic, turns out that its totally borked. Now to find something new!

Anyways, I really wanted a TC Electronic Polytune Clip, but they are all out of stock. Anybody know where I can find one? I bought a Korg Pitchclip 2 instead, but I am fully prepared to return it! 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Andertons are showing no new stock for 3 months on PolyTunes.
    I ended up getting the pedal version.

Tom-B
    Free Member

@elwoodblues the tuning app’s are pretty decent these days, so I’m sure one would tide you over for a bit.

elwoodblues
    Free Member

Yeah, I know that the apps are pretty accurate, I just like to have the right hardware. I have a feeling that TC will release a new version, but the surge in demand from all the Covid-bored hobby guitarists caught them off guard.

The pedal won’t work on the acoustic as it has no pickup.

chipps

I’ve just received the new Ditto looper (with the memories) that I ordered the day they came out on July 7th… I think that it’s been the same cases as with push bikes. Everyone went ‘What shall I do now? I know, buy stuff!’ – er, guilty… 🙂

The Polytune clips are great. I have one, though it’s VERY easy to misplace – on headstocks, in pockets, on the sideboard… If you just have one guitar and it stays on there, you’ll be fine though..

RustySpanner

Hiya all.

I fancy a new amp.

Specifically, I fancy a versatile, 20 watt(ish) valve amp for home use and playing out with mates (at some unspecified time in the future…).

Current amp is an Orange Crush 35RT and I love it, sometimes.
    The clean channel is wonderful, rich, harmonic, takes pedals well.

The dirty channel is great for the very, very metal tonez I rarely use, but there’s some odd stuff going on with that channel at lower gain settings, say up to halfway. Some random, high frequency artefacts that are frankly annoying the gravy out of me.

I’ve tried a Blackstar HT20 MK2, loads of features but it sounds bland compared to the Orange.
    Don’t like the Marshall DSL40 and I’ve already got a little Champ 600 which does the Fender thing very well at lower volumes.
    Love Vox but even the AC15 weighs too much for me to schlep about regularly.

Almost decided on the Orange Rocker 15. It seems perfect for what I want, lightish, sounds great, switchable power output for home use.

I just have two questions…..

Anyone recommend something else to try?
    I’ve tried to find a H&K Tubmeister Deluxe 20 head to demo locally but no joy.
    I’ll try a Laney Supercub and their LT20 but I have bad memories of Laney build quality from the 80’s.

Do I buy the Orange 15 watt combo or push the boat out and buy the head plus one of CGG’s lovely Barefaced cabs?
    And if so, which speaker would compliment the Orange?
    CGG, your experience and opinion would be most welcome!

Ta in advance. 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@elwoodblues
    I’ve just remembered there is a PolyTune app that works great for my guitars. Still bought the pedal as well.

@chipps

So that’s three loopers you have now? 😁

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m running a Line6 DT25. Modelling front end into a highly configurable valve power amp. Loud and lush.

CaptainSlow

Rusty – you could try the 20w JCM 800 or JMP that Marshall do under their studio range.

Being single channel you could argue the JCM isn’t versatile but it responds so well to the volume, the clean you get from it is beautiful.

Also, check out a EVH 5153 50w. Small footprint, very versatile, amazing cleans with lovely crunch and more gain that you would ever need. Don’t bother with the smaller variants, the 50w is the sweet spot.

Failing that, buy an AxeFX or kemper etc 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hi folks.
    Selling up the pedalboard except for the PolyTune and the MojoMojo.
    Message me if you want any info. All under 5 months old. Mint and in boxes with appropriate PSU and manuals.
    Oh and the DT25 valve amp.

Edukator
    Free Member

How about a Fender, Rusty Spanner? They do the Bassbreaker head in various wattages. They take pedals well and sound nice on their own to my ears when turned up. Andertons has used one in some pedal coparisons. I played the range in a local shop before buying the 45, they all have the same name but slightly different sounds. I did a comaparison with some mates, a Marshal JCM 100, the Bass Breaker 45, a Rockerverb and a Mesa Dual rectifier. The Bass Breaker ended up as the stage amp for their band for a couple of years – they went back to the JCM having blown up two Bass breakers (replaced under guarantee) running them flat out. The smaller ones are more reliable according to the shop.

The greenbox saga suite:

I found a Maxon 808 second hand. Madame is in so I’ve only used it at volumes the Bassbreaker 45 is clean so far (the bassbreaker into 4×12 Greenbacks is really loud by the time the power valves start to crunch). It sounds remarkably like the Fender “greenbox” model on the Fender Mustang Floor. This is a good thing but I expected it to be less “digital model” and the first impression is that it isn’t. Maybe a bit tighter, I was aware of every fluff in my playing.

ceepers

@RustySpanner have you looked at a Vox AC10?

It’s Much lighter than an ac15 and it is plenty loud enough for home use – I can’t play mine cranked if anyone else is in and I regularly use it on the edge of breakup with a drummer.

It’s got a useable digital reverb and is pure Vox top boost tone. They take pedals well for more gain. Vox plus a Rat is a classic tone combo

RustySpanner

Hiya!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Had a trip to PMT in Salford yesterday and tried loads of amps.

I’ve ended up with another Orange, a Rocker 15. 🙂
    Preferred it by far to everything else, I just have a thing for the Orange house sound.

It’s light, loud and sounds amazing.
    Can turn the power down for late night use and it takes up very little room.
    No reverb though so I had to buy a Fender Tre Verb pedal to go with it. 😃

Anyone fancy an Orange Crush 35RT in black, immaculate, about a year old?

plumber
    Free Member

I’ve taken the home working as an opportunity to go through my music stuff, sell off what I didn’t use and invest in some better home recording gear

Genelec 8020 monitors
    Behringer XR18 mixer
    Beatstep pro midi thing
    Ableton Live update to 10 DAW
    Cables

Result – I’m still a shit guitarist who cant write songs but my desk looks cooler to me and I’m having a lot of fun

Anyone else offloaded gear

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 3,696 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.