Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 3,696 total)
  • Guitarists of Singletrack…
  • trailmonkey

I was watching some 80s music documentary on Friday and seeing John McGeogh made me realise there’s a huge and unexplainable hole in my collection.

A Yamaha SG.

Please talk me out of this expensive and totally unjustified purchase before I’m forced into the ‘but I really need it’ conversation with my wife.

plumber
    Free Member

There were different levels in the 80’s era of Yamaha SGs

from ‘nice enough’ to ‘les paul quality’

Not that i’d recommend ‘les paul quality’ as anything desirable

If you want something of that era its Eggle everytime for me

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@Superficial I loved that! One of my favourite tunes since I first heard it on release.
    I’d never have thought try it on guitar. Brilliant.

chipps

Hey @racefaceec90 – that’s exactly what I’ve just been eyeing up! I have an SE Hollowbody and like it way more than I thought I was going to, so I wanted to add some SE locking tuners to pimp it up a little (and because they’re soooo easy to use). Where did you get yours?

On the topic of pimping things up, I’m soon (fingers crossed) going to have sold my little Yorkshire terrace and will have a certain amount of ‘free money’ – until the taxman and existing house maintenance bills catches up with me… So, what are STW’s suggestions for a guitar-based spending spree? Given that I already have a raft of lovely guitars and a couple of nice amps…

My scattergun list so far of things to have a play on in a guitar shop includes: Fender Princeton and/or Deluxe (and/or Tonemaster versions), Strandberg Boden, Gibson 330, Fender Meteora and/or ’51 Telecaster, Mesa Boogies of assorted stripes, Guild TA60 (thinline P90 hollowbody) and, er, I dunno really.

I don’t actually _need_ anything – apart from perhaps a ‘take to a friend’s house for a jam’ lightweight amp. And I definitely need some more lessons, so they’re on the list too… But it’s nice to dream. Same with bikes.

racefaceec90

@chipps good afternoon to you i bought them from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XL5PWQJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details i paid £77.07 for mine and it included next day delivery even though i did free delivery (it was £4.99 for next day delivery but i got it for free somehow) am not complaining i have to add 🙂

now just waiting for the guitar to fit them too still awaiting delivery peach guitars say on my order

ps mine came with black locking screws as opposed to the bronze coloured ones but i prefer the black tbh.

chipps

I’ve only seen black locking screws. It’s the shafts that are plain brass.

racefaceec90

ah you are correct it just shows the tuners in the pics not the locking screws so got confused doh

racefaceec90

my guitar has been sent out by prs so hopefully sometime this week i will receive it after peach have checked it over and set it up for us.

am really looking forward to getting the guitar now 😀

chipps

I’m a big fan of the PRS SE guitars. I think I’ve had a P90 Singlecut, a P90 Baritone and now a Hollowbody. All of them were beautifully put together and played great.

racefaceec90

oh very nice @chipps

this will be my first prs as i have never seen one at a guitar shop i have visited or had the funds to buy one either lol.

i love the fact that my guitar is pretty understated looking as well as being one of the cheapest models too (nothing against the blingy expensive ones/am just not a good player to do them justice tbh).

chipps

You don’t need to be a good player to justify a blingy guitar. I am proof of that 😉
    Same as bikes. If you want a nice bike and can afford it, you have a nice bike. And ‘affordable’ doesn’t mean ‘bad’ these days either. Whether guitars or bikes.

AdamT

PRS SE Zach Myers (with upgraded locking tuners) and SE 245 singlecut over here. Great value instruments.

RustySpanner

So, what are STW’s suggestions for a guitar-based spending spree?

A Trace Elliott Elf bass amp.
    Sounds great, loud, small.
    Free up space for more toys….

…..such as a Squier Bullet Mustang mod project…..or something custom from Ancoats….https://www.ancoatsguitars.co.uk/

simondbarnes

But it’s nice to dream

I’d put my name down for a Kinkade Kingsdown Deluxe 🙂

AdamT

Guitar based spending spree? Guitar building course at Crimson?

ceepers

Slightly cheeky but I’m selling a lovely little Vox valve amp for £120ish

Here’s the spiel…..

Vox AC4TV valve amp

Fantastic all valve practice amp with beautiful Vox tone. Has three power settings 1/4 watt, 1watt & (a very loud ) 4 watts so you can play at home volume on the lower settings but it’s loud enough to play with a drummer at full power. ( I have actually used it at a couple of small gigs. )

Selling cos I rarely am allowed to play without headphones at home ( even though this is barely above “tv” volume in the 1/4 watt setting) & I have an ac10 for band practice now

Based on the 60s Vox TV amp it’s got a slightly warmer tone than a top boost Ac30 ( like an ac30 normal channel) with a lovely clean sound through a nice blues drive into a passable impression of AC/DC if you crank it.

I can send photos if anyone is interested.

This is the info from the vox site…..

https://voxamps.com/en-gb/product/ac4tv/

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sounds interesting. Where are you based? Would you post?

chipps

Those are lovely, @simondbarnes and a decent price – however, I made the mistake of playing a couple of Jeff Traugott’s guitars and they will always be top of the Lottery Win tree…   Prices start at $38,500… 😮

ceepers

@eddiebaby I live in Devon but miles from anywhere so am happy to post!

Pics here….

Boxy Voxy

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Right, I’m going to have to speak to the CFO (just booked a wingfoiling holiday and she’s coming along…).

ceepers

good luck with that!!!!

I’ve got someone coming to look at it tonight but i’ll keep you posted

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Best of luck with the sale.

ceepers

Its sold, on the plus side you will still be in the CFO’s good books

Also wing foiling looks so fun! (but hard)

simondbarnes

I’m guessing that this may have already been asked in the previous 79 pages but anyway…
    How often do people change their guitar strings? I leave mine on until they snap or go rusty which I’m guessing is probably a bit long?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

On my Tele I change the set when I break a string (about once a year max). This is long before I’d notice a problem with the sound. I use D’Addario NYXL and for my body chemistry and playing style they seem to last forever. Plus my guitars have no places to kill stings.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Its sold, on the plus side you will still be in the CFO’s good books

Happy and sad at the same time.

Also wing foiling looks so fun! (but hard)

Fun? Yes, but not that hard if you can windsurf.

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t change my strings often. Couple of times a year maybe. There’s a noticeable brightness from new strings but it’s not necessarily better IMHO.

YMMV and I know a lot of people recommend changing them much more frequently.

trailmonkey

How often do people change their guitar strings?

When they start to get that ‘dead’ sound.

plumber
    Free Member

Never change my strings unless they break which I cant remember the last time it happened

Actually I do change strings on new guitars as they are often not great

simondbarnes

Cheers all. I’ve just changed the strings on my Strat. They had been on there a couple of years and they were rather manky 🤮
    Knowing me I’ve done it wrong and I’ll have all sorts of issues but you’ve got to learn how to do it at some point!

racefaceec90

locking tuners are an option as they make string changes a breeze.

something like these for your strat https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_schaller_locking_tuner_ch.htm

simondbarnes

I can’t put locking tuners on a vintage strat!

racefaceec90

ah apologies.

actually the vintage tuners you have are great. there is a knack for doing them though but once learned it becomes second nature.

this guide might help.

chipps

Vintage tuners are great. Almost self-locking already. And especially if you’re not using the trem, then they work brilliantly.

racefaceec90

my guitar is on its way (should turn up sometime tomorrow 😀

apologies for all the updates about it it’s just been a shit year so far (nightmare neighbours with criminal records who are still next door even though their tenancy has run out).

have never owned or tried a prs so doubly excited for sure (especially with 8 different tonal options).

simondbarnes

Hope it arrives tomorrow for you! New guitar days are the best 🙂

My challenge for this week is to lean to play this smoothly (and more than once by sliding back up to the starting point). Will see how I get one! (unlikely to get much time to play much until Sunday though)

racefaceec90

thanks @simondbarnes 🙂

good luck with learning your rhcp piece (John Frusciante definitely isn’t the easiest of players to play their music that is for sure). you’ll get there for sure though with the clips i have heard of yours 🙂

Blackflag
    Free Member

Thinking of getting another acoustic, but this time with a cut away at the neck. This looks nice on line but its not recognised as a dreadnought, any idea why? What would the difference between this and a cut away dreadnought be?

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/martin-gpc-x2e-sitka-top-mahogany-hpl

Edit – Ignore me, ive just googled it.

New question – Recommend me a dreadnought cut away???

racefaceec90

ah apologies i have not a clue about acoustic guitars (i bought a cheap fender dreadnaught from argos back in 2004 i think it was) that’s as much as i have played one tbh.

fantastic news my prs has turned up 9it was delivered at 9:15 this morning which is fantastic in itself.

am bloody loving the guitar i have to say (only been playing it unplugged after giving it a quick clean).

everything feels nice on it/no damage that i can see etc and after a quick tune up cannot detect any fret buzz/choked notes etc people were def right about prs quality control that’s for sure (and peach guitars checking it over before dispatch).

the guitar is def heavier than my harley benton fusion iii hss (as the body is mahogany) but not super heavy either. but most of all it just feels really nice to play and it resonates also when playing through neck/body.

will try and take some pics at some point but might not be for a while as i just want to play it lol.

(i just need fit the locking tuners to it as some point also).

i am now a junior member of the dentist club now ;-P

joelowden

@blackflag.
    If you’re planning on spending that amount on an acoustic go and play lots of them.
    There’s so many things to consider; does it play how i want it to play?. Does it sound the way I want it to sound? Is it comfortable for me,? Don’t rule out second hand either.
    Good luck.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 3,696 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.