• This topic has 2,748 replies, 127 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by IdleJon.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 2,749 total)
  • Guitarists of Singletrack…
  • whatgoesup

Boss Waza Air headphones are one option. Not cheap but (apparently) very good.

simondbarnes

Can’t have this thread on page 4 of the forum!

I’ve been learning Black sabbath’s Paranoid but I’m bored of learning the riff so I thought i’d make an attempt at the solo. Just the first lick for now…

oldtennisshoes

Looking good Simon!

simondbarnes

Cheers 🙂

kayla1

I stuck some Warman P90s in my SG. They sound lots nicer than the standard humbuckers 😎

eddiebaby

Apart from working through Rain Song all I’ve done is been playing the P-Bass I bought from Oldtennishshoes – new toy syndrome. I did stick on a gold pickbuard as the mirror one was too rockstar for me.
    And at the weekend I swapped bridge pick in the Tele and tidied up the mini pedalboard as i decided what to sell.
    Sadly the Belle Epoch Deluxe has to go as it is too similar to the APE/Flashback combo.

IMG-5181

IMG_5186

chipps

Nice P-Bass! I have a Fender Vintera, in Seafoam Green, with the anodised pickguard. I went in for a black one (was on a Stranglers/The Cure trip), played a load and came out with the best player, which was a cheery foam green… Lovely bass, so chunky! And I need to play it more…

eddiebaby

@chipps First bass I’ve ever played. Love it, it’s a 2008 Mexico made Fender and sounds thunderous. Coincidentally just when I bought it from a forumite Kemper released a free pack of bass amp profiles. Happy days. Taking it to Weymouth for ten days along with the baritone and the Kemper. Should be fun blasting it through Barb’s PA.

chipps

Sounds fun. I need to get my bass mojo back soon. My lockdown affectation was an electric double bass. So far I can do the intro to Love Cats and… that’s about it 🙂

simondbarnes

I’ve had another lesson now so hopefully my next attempt at the Paranoid solo will be a bit better. Need to finish this post lesson pint first though 😂😂

(I’m not sure having a first class ale House opposite where I have lessons is a great idea)

eddiebaby

Sounds great as long as you’re not early and have to wait in there.

Edukator
    Free Member

You’ve bitten off a big chunk with that solo, Simon, it may take some time to chew and swallow. I watched multiple people doing covers, Tommy himself and kept coming back to it over at least a year before I could produce something recognisably close that I could play consistently. Frustration guaranteed.

The first part of the Paranoid solo fits the beat really well but in the second part after the big slide up I find myself playing frestyle with just a couple of landmarks that fall on the beat. Easy to play along with the original but quite hard to do to a drum track and finish on time. I do it a couple of frets down or retune the guitar to make it easier to sing – Ozzy does too these days.

An acoustic vid I’ve posted before:

Acoustic Paranoid

simondbarnes

You’ve bitten off a big chunk with that solo, Simon,

I know 🤣

oldtennisshoes

Hope this allowed. This is OTS Junior 1’s band – he plays guitar. They had a day in the studio a couple of weeks ago to record 4 of their own songs

Exit through the gift shop is the strongest IMHO Guitar solo from 2:10 is

Live (less polished version) from a couple of months earlier in the Voodoo Rooms Edinburgh

David & Goliath is also worth a listen

Thoughts and criticism very welcome

plumber
    Free Member

OTS – heard it all before but theres nothing wrong with that

I like the singer

Hope they are having fun

simondbarnes

They’re a lot better than me @oldtennisshoes and look like they’re enjoying it 🙂

I’m still trying to learn the Paranoid solo. Even slowed down to 80% speed I bottle it at the tricky bit! Might try and knock it back to 60 or 70% and try and work back from there.

eddiebaby

Getting there Simon. Keep at it.
    I’ve been in Weymouth for a week with the guitar and my Waza Air headphones with just dog walking and house sitting as tasks.
    For my next visit down in 2 weeks I’ve been told I need to get Pride and Joy (SRV) sorted so a visit to Andertons was needed to buy a TubeScreamer, luckily Andertons had a TubeScreamer comparison video on the site on Wednesday so I simply bout one of the top 2 chosen.
    Luckily it was the Behringer at £19.99 NOT the Origin Effects Halcyon at over £200!
    Got the matching t-shirt too.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/t-shirts/andertons-mantis-m01-t-shirt-in-black-with-green-jafod-logo-s” alt=

Small pedal board time then: Tuner, Compressor, TubeScreamer, Delay, Origin Deluxe61-for amp drive and trem, and a reverb. All into the back of a borrowed Boss Katana 100.
    No digital apart from the reverb.

Right off to Marty’s Music channel to get the shuffle sorted.

simondbarnes

Please post the results Eddie 😃

eddiebaby

I shall. Still got to finish Rain Song though
    That will go up first.

In some ways Pride and Joy seems easier as it is a standard tuning, well E flat if you’re being picky, but getting the feel right and muting cleanly enough is quite the challenge.
    All fun though.

simondbarnes

Looking forward to Rain Song 🙂

Taking a little break from the Paranoid solo to learn something a little bit slower. Getting the timing right to play along with the record is proving tricky though.

AdamT

SO 18 pages ago (9 months) I put up this backing track. I got ill and busy, but remembered about it. I have 3 submissions. Anyone fancy jumping in and recording something for it?

…..(wibbly wobbly time machine video effect)……

Right then. Are you ready for the next jam track backing?

Below is a backing track. It’s 90bpm. The cowbells count down the last bar before the start of the jam section. The Horn stab is on the first beat. You can just about play an E pentatonic over it, but options to do something a bit more.

I genuinely whacked the parts in on the first take so expect to replace probably all of it. All submissions welcome. Guitar, Bass (looking at you @chiefgrooveguru), Keyboard, Drums and I think it would be epic to get some of the “Music producers of Singletrack” to potentially remix or reimagine it too. (looking at you @ajantom)

There are some slightly obscure chords in here. I’ll whack them into this thread a bit later (when I’ve worked them out)

Please, if you’re a bit scared just have a go…..no judgement here. I can even do a private mix/render if you like?

Next steps: Tell me if you’re in. I’ll set a bit of a deadline and add submissions as they come in. Once the deadline passes, I’ll produce the full mix. Any questions, then just ask.

chipps

Ooh! I remember this from 18 pages ago. I remember at the time it was hard for me to do anything better than random E-noodles, but I’d be up for having another go at it…

AdamT

Fyi the original discussion starts on page 50, or you can use the search function (ok, I made that last bit up 🤣😂)

Edukator
    Free Member

Jeez I remember something with cow bells, I must be at least one of the submissions. I seem to remember doing a bass thing that came easily to replace the bass track but failed to find inspiration on guitar, but might have sent the uninspired thing. I’ve got a lot on at present so won’t be doing anything new.

benman
    Free Member

I think I did an admission 18 months ago, but hopefully I’m a bit better on guitar by now… I’ll try and do another submission at the weekend when I’m home from holiday

AdamT

@Edukator, I’ll have a look through my mails and pop it in if I find it!

ajantom

I’ll try and do something.
    Also definitely up for a random remix 😁

guitarhero
    Free Member

Think I sent you my noodles @AdamT. Really enjoyed playing to the changes on this track, great backing. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s take.

eddiebaby

Edit oops

beej

I think I sent something too, 2-3 weeks after you posted the backing. 4th December.

kayla1

@<span class=”bbp-author-name”>eddiebaby</span> Have you had a play with the Behringer TS clone yet? What’s it like?

eddiebaby

First time I’ve tried one and I like the sound it makes.
    BUT check the Andertons video from last Wednesday to see how similar they all sounded.
    Funnily enough I don’t sound exactly like SRV after buying that 🙁 Not complaining about the £20 spend though. Personally I’m happier with the equally low budget MojoMojo from TC.

RustySpanner

That Andertons video comparing overdrives was very interesting.

I’ve tried loads of overdrives over the years and still use the first one I bought, a Boss SD-1.
    In a side by side comparison, it sounds just like a TS if you turn the tone down….

For distortion I had a Behringer Blues Driver clone that failed after 20 years regular use. Cheap junk….🙂
    I replaced it with a Fulltone OCD my wife bought me last Christmas.
    It’s great, love it, but it’s not 5 times better!

RustySpanner

On a separate topic, I think I’ve finally bonded with my Strat.

Loved the tone when other people played it, but it always felt like a broken banjo…..
    The solution was to turn up the amp! It masks the resonance of the trem – doh!
    Never felt totally confident with it before, but loving it atm.

You lot are all seriously talented btw, love this thread.

eddiebaby

On a separate topic, I think I’ve finally bonded with my Strat

I love both my Strats, but then I bought a Tele so the AmProII is going to have to go. The sproingy sound is part of the deal but the immediacy of the Tele and the ability to just go to drop D or any open tuning is a winner.

RustySpanner

I get it.
    I’d have to go Tele if I could have only one.
    I love the simplicity.
    My first electric too. It just fits.

Buuuuuuut, the Strat is just freaking me out a bit right now…in a good way.
    I can’t believe how wonderful it sounds clean and overdriven.
    It’s so comfortable too.
    Just back from a jam with mates (rhythm only, cowboy chords, loud) and currently hugging it like a once lost child. 🙂

Scapegoat

@AdamT I’ll have a go at a bassline.

AdamT

Thanks to all the replies on the jam thing. Send me a PM if you have a new submission and we can make contact

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s so comfortable too.

On that basis I built a Warmoth hybrid with a strat body but Telecaster ash-tray bridge + pick up, Strat middle pick up and a splitable humbucker in the neck. I thought it would be the perfect combination but haven’t fallen in love with it. All those disadvantages of the Tele I’ve realised suit my playing. That horrible edge that digs into your forearm means my forearm doesn’t float around so I’m more accurate picking. That horrible edge that digs in my bottom rib, that keeps the guitar flat and stable. The unreasonable weight means it doesn’t move much when I do slides and move around the neck. The shorter cut means the neck sticks out a bit more when standing play with a strap and makes it easier to play high up the neck.

RustySpanner

Yes, but you’re a reasonably proportioned individual.

I on the other hand, am a short, fat person 🙂
    A Tele does not flatter me.
    It has a very small contact patch, so it’s less stable.

Like Eddie, I’ve just bought a bass. I ended up with something very modern, a Cort B4, rather than the Jazz I was convinced I wanted.
    Ergonomically, it was night and day.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Teles.
    But a nicely designed, modern instrument is much easier for me to get to grips with.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 2,749 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.