Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 3,696 total)
  • Guitarists of Singletrack…
  • ceepers

Its not super hard just needs quick fingers!

The Squier JM’s are really good value and they make a great platform for customising.

Theres a big rabbit hole to go down on offsetguitars.com !

I’ve got a couple of other JM’s – a CIJ fender with american vintage pups and a vintera JM too. They both have the classic more chimey JM sound. For the squier there was no point having another sounding similar so i got Jamie at the creamery to make some P90’s in JM covers. Gives it a slightly grittier thicker sound. Sound great with a bit of dirt.

I’ll try and take a family photo for you later!

ceepers

Edit

Here you go…..

ceepers
    Superficial
    Free Member

Ooof, they’re nice. The one on the right is the best looking IMHO, but stick a tort guard on the blue one and that’d be my perfect JM right there.

You got any Jags?

ceepers

The blue has a tort guard but its quite dark unless the sun is on it. Been toying with buying a brighter one!

This is what it looks like in better lighting

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/fender-vintera-60-s-jazzmaster-ibm.html#mz-expanded-view-1164631264071

I do have a jag.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUVCHYxo9UG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

its a VM squier with a nicer bridge and fender 65 vintage pups in it. Sounds lovely actually! The squiers are great guitars for the money!

Also i;m a gear slut so have an orange gretsch hollow body with tv jones internals ( think stray cats) and a dark cherry epiphone 335 with Bare Knuckle PAF humbuckers as well

Edukator
    Free Member

Wel played on the previous page, ceepers. Joyful soloing. A question though, are you sure the intonation on that guitar is right up at the 15th fret?

ceepers

i probably need to check it!

It might just be lazy fingering though!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Very pretty guitars. Not sure I’d own one (I’m a Strat lover) but they look great and will sound excellent.

ceepers

I grew up as an indie kid so my guitar heroes were j mascis, Adam Franklin from swervedriver, Robert Smith, Kevin shields from MBV and Ray from Teenage fan club who all played jazz masters or jags at some point.

Never owned a strat although I can appreciate how Hendrix / Mayer /SRV made them sound. They were a bit “dads music” when I was a kid so I’ve never aspired to one even though they are a classic design.

The JM’s just have a lovely chime but with more roundness than a strat if that makes sense? Especially in the front and middle positions.

beej

Eek, I’ve taken my brave pills and recorded something for the jam. AdamT, I’ve messaged you for submission details.

Superficial
    Free Member

Continuing the Jazzmaster love-in, this one looks amazing. I don’t know if losing the rhythm circuit is a bit annoying, but having serial/parallel options is cool.

Hope the image works…

… and a link: https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/fender/jazzmaster-guitars/fender-limited-edition-player-jazzmaster-olive-green-matching-headstock

metalheart
    Free Member

Jazzmaśters are the best 🤪

Edukator
    Free Member

Unless you’ve got fat fingers. I find that I have trouble fitting my fingers in a few frets earlier on shorter scale.

rOcKeTdOg

currently negotiating for a Mustang on FB market. short scale is where it’s at!

also currently lusting after one of these
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_jared_james_nichols_gold_glory.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qGNBhD3ARIsAO_o7ymUMet_BSjK9JR_LPpagzMS30F6zVSATc2_pcXOITfVFSSO_Aa8Rm4aAmq_EALw_wcB

metalheart
    Free Member

I find that I have trouble fitting my fingers in a few frets earlier on shorter scale.

Aren’t you mixing it up with a mustang?

According to the Fender website my pro II JM has a scale length of 25.5” (and needs a longer case than a tele or a strat).

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, JM are same scale as Strat/Tele. Mustang and Jag are shorter.

Which is part of the reason I think I’d like a Jag. I’ve never played one but the shorter scale length is one of the few things I prefer about my LP over Fenders.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yup, I’m wrong and mixing up but with a Jaguar not a Mustang.

ceepers

Jag, mustang and duo sonic are all the same scale length. Its slightly shorter again than the gibson standard.

That green player jm is nice. I’m not sure that many people use the rhythm circuit anyway, i do use mine a bit with the band but i find it more useful on the jag as theres a bigger difference in tone compared to the neck pickup on its own on the lead circuit. I think the player JM’s have a slightly shorter bridge to tailpiece distance which improves string break angle but isnt vintage correct and messes with sonic youth style behind the bridge noise making if those things are important.

The purple andertons squire JM with the gold guards are lookers too. I think the original TVL sig JM is my all time fave looker. I love the oxblood

metalheart
    Free Member

For all the arrivistes, photo of my pair of JMs back on page 47 🤪

ceepers

and a fine pair they are too!

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m lucky in that my ‘ultimate’ JM is a three colour sunburst. After seeing Tom Verlaine’s in the Foxhole video on the OGWT moons ago.

I’m not fussed that the pro II isn’t ‘vintage correct’. The only thing id like to change is a S1 style ‘internal’ push/push switch for the bridge pickup voicing.

I’m also not a fan of matching headstock. Just don’t like it personally… 🤷🏼‍♀️

Superficial
    Free Member

The purple andertons squire JM with the gold guards are lookers too. I think the original TVL sig JM is my all time fave looker. I love the oxblood

They do a purple + tort Jag too. Looks ace!

My local shop has an Orange Johnny Marr Jag, which looks amazing. But it’s about 6x the price of a Classic Vibe…

Superficial
    Free Member

Did it. I’m now the proud owner of a classic vibe JM.

The action was ridiculous (high) when I got it with the bridge slammed, so I had to shim the neck. I did that with a tapered (sanded-down) Clubcard. Keeping it real. It actually worked really well.

Cleaned it up, new strings, truss rod adjust, intonation. Now it’s sorted.

Mini review. It feels really nice. The neck feels great and plays well. No sharp edges and apart from a couple of v minor visible imperfections, it feels just as good as my MIM guitars. Feels stratty to play. The body is 3 piece which you can spot if you look closely but the finish / grain are lovely. The pot covers feel a bit cheap and the selector switch is a tiny bit crackly but aside from that this seems like a bargain for under £200. Serial number dates it to Sept 2020 so it’s pretty new. I don’t think I’ve properly played a Squier since my mate’s one from the 90s (which was pretty awful), but they seem to have come along nicely.

Haven’t really had a chance to play it much yet though. If I have time I’ll record myself playing some Jazz. That’s what they’re for, right??

ceepers

Yep definitely Jazz…..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXEai0cMfSo/?utm_medium=copy_link

Can’t beat an offset plus a Big Muff…….

Incidentally, if any of you are Dinosaur fans, the new documentary freakscene is available on Prime now and is well worth renting for a fiver!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Very pretty, plus the amp of champs! Great home setup.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Creepers thanks for that, i will give that a watch.

Have any of you replaced plastick pickup rings with wood ones?
    I hate the plastic bits on my les paul studio, and as i am just a rubbish beginner with more cash than sense and skills at playing i really fancy replacing the plastic parts 🙂

chipps

I’ve always been wary of replacing plastic with wood – It just feels like 1970s British hot-rodding, where they’d take lovely classic Lotus Cortinas and put purple deep-pocketed velour upholstery on them. Those classic guitars are classic for a reason. 🙂

You’ll just end up with something that looks like a pine dresser…

Ooh, that was a bit of a rant, sorry. You do whatever you fancy! Though as a fellow ‘throw money at guitars’ player, I’d be looking at pickups, bridge hardware replacements, tuners and that kind of thing, first before wooden knobs and pickup rings…

ceepers

Or pedals…………

You can never have enough pedals!

😂

Mikkel
    Free Member

Thinking about it, its the pickguard i have issues with, i made a new one of black stained wood but that looked wrong next to the plastic pickup rings, most likely will leave it as it is as it does look really nice, its the smokehouse burst i got.

I put a roseeood PU cover on my Junior tribute and in my opinion that improved looks massively.

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t think wooden pickup rings would look right at all. That Smokehouse one is a bit unusual because it’s got black (plastic) pickup surrounds. I reckon it’d look more traditional with the usual cream plastic surrounds but I also think it looks great as is.

plumber
    Free Member

Pedals sold this week
    Strymon Time Line
    Strymon Riverside
    strymon Tap favourite
    Spectrum
    Bondi FX sick as pink

Pedal Bought
    Stymon Deco midnight edition
    Mythos Blace Fleece
    Bondi FX sick as black

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Was playing a 6;string baritone last night.
    Essentially a guitar tuned like a bass?

Quite interesting, not sure if I like it.
    Need to try through the old Orange, bass 4*12 and fuzz pedals…

Edukator
    Free Member

If it was tuned like a guitar but an octave lower it wasn’t tuned like a baritone guitar. A bass is guitar tuning but an octave lower, baritones are something else. I’ve never been tempted by a baritone as it would require learning specific stuff. A bass 6 is easier in that anything you play on guitar can be played on it:

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/the-bass-vi-baritone-guitar-or-bass

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Pedals sold this week
    Strymon Time Line
    Strymon Riverside
    strymon Tap favourite
    Spectrum
    Bondi FX sick as pink

Pedal Bought
    Stymon Deco midnight edition
    Mythos Blace Fleece
    Bondi FX sick as black

I’m through a pedal phase at the moment. Put Schaller locking Tuners and an EMG Dave Gilmour pickup set on my Am Pro II Strat and am just playing the heck out of itinto my Waza Air headphones.
    I do occasionally spend time tweaking sounds on the BOSS GT1000 but at the moment I’ve lost the urge to tweak.
    I do know the urge to splurge will return though.
    In fact I’ve got a bunch o stuff I ought to get in the classifieds to make room.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve never been tempted by a baritone as it would require learning specific stuff.

Would it? I’ve only played one once, for about 2 minutes. It was a Chapman (maybe one of THESE?) and was tuned to BEADF#B – I.e. everything 5 semitones lower than standard tuning. It felt like a normal guitar to be honest. I’m not sure what strings it had, but they were far closer to guitar strings than bass strings. In fact, if you didn’t play often you could probably be tricked into thinking it was just a guitar, perhaps with a slightly different scale length.

I quite liked it – it definitely sounded different enough to a standard guitar that it could make you play different riffs. But as I say, I didn’t have enough time with it to really get a good feel for it.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member
    Edukator
    Free Member

I suppose you could put a capo on it, Superficial. 😉 I learn things in a key I can sing in so anything on a baritone needs relearning. If you normally play in a song in G you’ll need the same chords as if it were in C. That’s not too hard to relearn, however things in C become F which is a chore.

Edit: that’s a bass 6 in my book, yourguitarhero. 30″ scale and an octave below a guitar. It’s a bass not a baritone.

Superficial
    Free Member

Oh I get you now. Yeah, I really struggle to make my brain convert chords from guitar to ukulele, although I can noodle on it just fine.

Edit: that’s a bass 6 in my book, yourguitarhero. 30″ scale and an octave below a guitar. It’s a bass not a baritone.

Yeah, that’s my understanding too. But the website calls it a baritone!

Out of interest, if a Baritone guitar is (for the sake or argument) a 4th lower than a normal guitar, is a normal guitar a tenor instrument? Google seems to suggest a ‘tenor guitar’ is something different altogether (4-string) and an alto guitar is a weird thing tuned much higher.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It doesn’t play like a bass – much smaller gauge strings and narrower neck so easy to play chords on.

Edukator
    Free Member

That Subzero neck is 44mm at the nut and my Jaguar bass is 38mm. The scale length is identical at 30″. You can put whatevcer strings you like on either, I like light strings in general but things get a bit floppy with very light strings on a short scale. It’s a bass 6, a short scale six string bass, but definitely a bass. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 3,696 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.