• This topic has 3,691 replies, 156 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 3,692 total)
  • Guitarists of Singletrack…
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Hell yeah!
    My Schaller locking tuners arrived today. The original pegs were the only thing on my Tyler that I had any concerns about. And I get to use one of the Park spanners I have that has never been used as my bikes have no nuts/bolts that size.

RustySpanner

So, PMT today to look at some Strats today and….

….this followed me home. 🙂

You know how it is.
    Oooh, I’ll just try that one whilst I’m looking…..whoops.

G5422t Electromatic in **** off Orange.

It’s delightful. Even stays in tune.
    On sale too.

Happy days.

Anyone want to buy a Vintage VS6?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Schwiiiing!!

Everyone is raving about the new Gretschs.

rOcKeTdOg

Time to grow a quiff & strutt your cat stuff

RustySpanner

Yup.
    Just off to crap on next door’s lawn. 🙂

It’s the hollow body, made in Korea at WMI.
    On sale as I think they’re shifting production to China – all the centre block and solid Electromatics are now Chinese.
    Nothing wrong with them, but this was too good an offer to turn down.

Tried the G5420T, the deeper singlecut, but it didn’t feel as friendly to play and had a rattly bridge too.

Barely more expensive than the Streamliners but a much nicer finish.
    Sounds lush.

Watty

ceepers, I’ve just bought a Jazzmaster too. It’s only a Squire Classic Vibe in Olympic white, but wow it’s lovely.

nostrils
    Free Member

Music theoryists can you help?

If I was to play a I, IV, V chord progression in the key of G on the blues scale I’m left with the following chords: G, C# and D

Now, would the progression be played exactly like that? I’m a bit confused. With the blues scale being close to the minor pentatonic would you play minor chords instead? Or could you substitute with any chords as long as they are in the correct keys?

BigJohn

The only sharp in the key of G is F#. G, C, D is usual. Em is often added in to the mix.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I IV V in G major is G C D (major)

The b5 (C# or Db) is the “blue” note in the blues scale.

Lots of ‘blues’ uses a minor scale over a major chord (the blues scale is a minor scale)

Another quite common thing in a 12 bar blues would be that all of the chords would be dominant 7ths. If that’s the case, then the blues scale works well over it and you can just add in a major 3rd over chord I.

edhornby

Nice choice rusty! If you have a Tele in the house then strats aren’t that different tbh so a semi acoustic with filtertron is the right call 🙂 hope you are well

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks to Rusty’s guitar acquisition I been playing a lot of Cult this morning using the Gretsch models on the Variax. A bit of delay and a smidge of chorus and instant She Sells Sanctutary.
    Forgot how much I loved Love and Sonic Temple.

rOcKeTdOg

I bought a 2nd hand squire vintage modified jaguar in January but just haven’t bonded with it, so for sale or swap for anything duo-sonic or mustangy pref with a humbucker in there somewhere

theotherjonv

Details on the Jag please…..

rOcKeTdOg

Have pm’d you @theotherjonv

IMG_20200719_145437

plumber
    Free Member

Typically you would plav the natural minor pentatonic/blies scale over the major chords

So G major C D would be Eminor Pentatonic or blues scale

C major F G Am pentatonic etc……………………

I tent to think of major scale as more melodic and pentatonic as more guitary they are almost the same except the pentatonic is missing 2 notes

Superficial
    Free Member

So G major C D would be Eminor Pentatonic or blues scale

I’m no expert, but don’t think that’s right. Em pentatonic is essentially equivalent to the G Maj pentatonic which will work fine over the G chord but won’t sound right over the C or D.

I’d use Gm pentatonic over those chords (or use the major pentatonic pattern but changing position on each chord change).

Happy to be corrected.

I tent to think of major scale as more melodic and pentatonic as more guitary they are almost the same except the pentatonic is missing 2 notes

The minor pentatonic is the (natural) minor scale minus two notes (the 2 and the 6). Ditto the major pentatonic is the major scale minus two notes (the 4 and the 7).

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Music theoryists can you help?

If I was to play a I, IV, V chord progression in the key of G on the blues scale I’m left with the following chords: G, C# and D

No quite sure what you mean.

The sound of the blues is essentially playing a minor pentatonic scale over a I, IV, V dominant 7 chord progression so in G you would play G minor pentatonic over G7, C7, D7. The so called blues scale adds the flat 5 to the minor pentatonic so the C#.

You can also play the G major pentatonic over that progression which would be a major blues (just drop whichever pentatonic box you are playing in at the time down three frets and you are playing the major blues). In fact you can mix up minor and major pentatonics in the same tune/jam.

Things can get even more interesting if you incorporate the major 3rd of whichever dominant 7
    chord you are playing over at the time especially when playing the I chord.

RustySpanner

edhornby

Subscriber

Nice choice rusty! If you have a Tele in the house then strats aren’t that different tbh so a semi acoustic with filtertron is the right call 🙂 hope you are well

I’m well mate, thank you! Just passed my degree course, so now qualified as a Nursing Associate, yay!

The guitar was a present to myself, it’s lovely, but I think it’s going back – issue with the bridge allignment. I’ll get my tech to look at it and report back on Wednesday.
    Bah.

ceepers

What didn’t you like about the jag?

Guess they are quite idiosyncratic sound wise and the scale length feels small compared to
    Most other things?!

I have a squier vm jag that I put fender AVRI jag pups in. Made a massive difference to the sound for fairly cheap.

Lovely for Marr style jangle or biting fuzz tones! 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

Quick poll to the electric players out there:
    When practicing do you plug the guitar in?
    And if so, to what?
    I play most if not every day but 95% + of my playing (practice?) is done un-amplified.
    I have an Orange Rocker 15 Terror that attenuates to quiet listening levels but my wife and kids have the hearing of a dog and I get moaned at. I have a Boss Tube Amp Expander that I use for recording that I can plug headphones into but that all seem like effort and I just end up picking up the guitar and playing.

Klunk
    Free Member

always

And if so, to what?

marshall jmp 100w head with a 4 * 12 cab

eddiebaby
    Free Member

99% plugged in. I have a Yamaha THR10 and I can run it with a great sound at low volume or I can plug in headphones that are always next to it.
    If I want a bit more mucking around I fire up the pedal board that has a Strymon Irridium preamp with a headphone amp on there.
    A bit more mucking around and I have a pair of Stagesource FRFR speakers for a clean 1600W. Possibly overkill in my attic room.

The Yamaha is so easy and I have a £35 wireless system for the guitar. Simples.

theotherjonv

Good question.

Most of the time I plug in to my Vox Amplug and then headphones, although i do sometimes plug into my practise amp (Fender Rumble)  I’ve never played in any setting other than my frontroom so sounds, etc. are mainly a mystery to me, I’m interested in playing the right notes first and foremost

However, I’m also getting interested into possibly now adding maybe a chorus pedal for some different sounds. Could I directly plug my <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Amplug to the output of a pedal?</span>

ceepers

for many years, rarely to avoid being antisocial volume wise, now almost always but into a vox amplug ( headphone amp )

If everyone else is out, into a vox ac10 or a 40w fender blues deluxe – Luckily my only close neighbours are sheep

DavidB
    Free Member

I use a Boss Katana Air which is perfect for just picking up for a quick play. Only wish it had a footswitch to flip between effects

guitarhero
    Free Member

@DavidB it was the Katana Air I started looking at for practicing purposes but ended up wanting (needing) a GT-1000.
    So far no other un-amplified twangers. Is it just preference then or is there an advantage to practicing plugged in?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The sound. I love the sound of electric guitars with little bit of reverb and a delay.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah I don’t really enjoy any of my electrics unplugged. Acoustic is apparently acceptable to Mrs SF but as above, I have a THR10 which is fantastic at low volumes.

One of these days I’ll get a nice loud valve amp. Need a new house With no neighbours attached first, though.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Quick question for the guitarists here…

Where’s the best place to sell a guitar? I bought a guitar and amp last year then after a bit of practice I realised I have neither the patience nor the enthusiasm to practice enough to play anything even resembling a tune.

eBay seems the obvious choice but it’s always a pain selling on there.

tall_martin

marshall jmp 100w head with a 4 * 12 cab

That’s a nice quiet rig : ) bet your neighbors have either been blown away or have moved away : )

I play into a 30w vox valve tronic amp. It’s got an attenuator on the back so it gives some valve break up at living room volume.

I also play through a zoom b3 pedal into the laptop if I’m playing along to something off I tunes or you tube.

@notmyrealname
    I bought a guitar recently From the fretboard. If it’s expensive or unusual I’d try there. If it’s a more reasonable price gumtree was good last time I sold a bass

Klunk
    Free Member

That’s a nice quiet rig : ) bet your neighbors have either been blown away or have moved away : )

it’s fine, with the preamp @ 10 and the master @ 1.3 ish it’s no louder than i have music on my pc… lovely overdriven valve sound too boot. 😀

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Quick poll to the electric players out there:
    And if so, to what?

Always plugged into a Scarlett 2i2 interface then into a PC running Bias FX2. I listen using a pair of JBL studio monitors or Bayer Dynamic headphones when I need to be silent. I don’t have an amp anymore.

rOcKeTdOg

What didn’t you like about the jag?

The flatter radius of the fret board & weirdly even though it’s a short scale it feels really long with the offset body

simondbarnes

Yes, otherwise I play my acoustic

And if so, to what?

Picked up a Fender Mustang I V2 recently to replace a 30 odd year old Squire 15. I love it, lots of different amp sounds / effects to play around with. I think I’ll probably get a footswitch so I can switch between settings while playing 🙂

@rocketdog
    – that Jag looks lovely, if only I had some money! (although I really want a Jazzmaster)

jca

Always plugin to play…to a Marshall JTM60 1×12 cranked upto 10 (mostly using the clean channel). I get away with this due to using a Marshall PowerBreak between the amp and the speaker which sucks up most of the output power and turns it to heat. I get to run the power-amp flat out while having managable volume levels.

gra

I’ve been doing some headphone practice using either an HX Stomp or UAD amps which both sound great, but I’m thinking of going for a small valve combo like a Champ instead for that amp in the room sound.

metalheart
    Free Member

I have a Princeton amp but it rarely gets switched on since I got my Yamaha NTX nylon electro acoustic. The real electriques don’t get much of an outing these days (but when they did I mostly played them acoustic…).

I also have a blackstar ID core thing i tend to use if I want to use the looper…

That jag, looks nice. And I’m even looking for one… I really want one in olympic white though (or sunburst). Hmmm….

ceepers

Yeah I guess the jag can feel quite long. I had a Jazzmaster for years first and the jag seems short in comparison but the JM is definitely quite a long guitar!

@simomandbarnes if you’re patient, the Squier VM jazzmasters turn up on eBay for pretty cheap often. Not bad guitars, and if you pop some aftermarket pickups in there, they can sound lovely for not much money.

The jag is definitely it’s own thing compared to the jazzmaster. Sort of thinner and janglier and more biting when overdriven. There’s a decent comparison video I’ll try and find the link for

Edit

Here you go

notmyrealname
    Free Member

https://singletrackworld.com/classifieds/advert/prs-22-se-standard-guitar-amp/

Stuck my guitar and amp up on the classifieds here if anyone’s looking for something suitable for a beginner etc.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’d steer clear of a Fender Champ, they’re absolutely awful unless you crank them….at which point they do a pretty average blues valve break up sound!

Most of my amps are pretty loud sound only get used at gigs (even though I hate my neighbors so don’t give a shit about noise 🤣)

My Egnater Rebel 30 actually sounds alright on the drive channel at home volume…. there’s zero drive obviously, but it still sounds and reacts basically like a valve amp should. It’s got a nice built in reverb too. I quite like the jc120 setting on my HX Stomp through my studio monitors too.

I had a 1969 Yairi Soloist classical guitar arrive today. Neck is wider than a paving slab, but I actually prefer wider necks. Fairly nice sound though, and a real bargain tbh.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 3,692 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.