• This topic has 3,691 replies, 156 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 3,692 total)
  • Guitarists of Singletrack…
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

Haven’t really posted stuff to my You Tube Channel for ages so thought I might start chucking some stuff up. This is a pretty awful attempt at a 2 camera angle video. The wide shot is me playing live and the close up shot is miming. Probably need better camera (using iphone) lights, ideas etc. and definitely video editor, iMovie 10 is awful. Might try my hand at a review video as they seem to get a lot of traffic. Alos note the slightly clickbaity thumbnail 😉

also

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Excellent! Really loved Devil went to Georgia. You’ve got some real Paul Gilbert faces going on there. 😁
    Good to see and hear the Descendant in action.

bazzer
    Free Member

Love it 🙂

neils
    Free Member

I know a few people on here play Tele’s. Has anyone done the 4-way switch mod, which adds the additional position with the pickups in series? Is it a noticeably different sound to the normal middle position?

Or should I just get a Les Paul…

I have done this – I followed a youtube video – my selector goes bridge , bridge/neck (parallel), bridge/neck (series), neck – I know some have the “new” position as position 4 – if that makes sense
    It sounds different – a bit fuller – some say its a bit like a humbucker – it was not too difficult to do – it was my first attempt at soldering

ajantom

Here’s another demo I’ve been working on.
    Me on guitar and organ…

DavidB
    Free Member

I spent some of lockdown trying to recreate a childhood love of mine..Alien Sex Fiend 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Blimey thats is scary!!!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Best Pedal Show for ages. because they aren’t focussed on tone but ar looking at phrasing. Worth a listen I reckon.

whatgoesup

Continuing the vague Tele theme, this came home with me last night.

Telee

simondbarnes

Continuing the vague Tele theme, this came home with me last night.

Nice!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Genuine or Relic? Looks great, what does it play like?

whatgoesup

2020 Vintera Roadworn with some added road miles by the previous owner (purposefully, not just abused).

It’s a lovely guitar and a definite keeper. Will get it properly set up at the weekend – I think it could do with a gentle fret level to make it perfect (that’s been true of most new guitars I’ve had including the new MIM player Tele I returned before buying this used one).

Superficial
    Free Member

Mmmm that Tele is lovely. I love my Baja Tele but I may have to give it a nitro finish. Fender are onto something with the option of nitro on the Mexican guitars.

EDIT: like this one

It’s a Jason Isbell (I had to google him) signature model. Looks absolutely lovely although it’s £1,339 which seems like American money (This one’s a MIM).

EDIT2: JTFC when did posting images get so difficult?

plumber
    Free Member

I think I’m down to 2 Telecasters now

78 completely modded to 70’s brass heaven before I got it
    2014 Custom shop

Both lovely

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hey guys

Can anyone recommend a smart phone mic please?

Nothing too expensive, its just for messing about with as a first foray into recording myself.

Oh and while I’m here does anyone use a looper app ? Is there such a thing ??

ta

ehrob

Whilst we’re on the subject of recommendations, I’m currently on the lookout for a set of open backed headphones for quiet practice. I’m a bassist though, mainly playing a Dingwall five string, so something that has a reasonable reproduction of low frequencies would be desirable.

As I’ve got reference cans already, these will just be for this purpose. Open backed is my preference as I find them less fatiguing than close backed cans. I was think AKG K240’s as they’re pretty cheap, but if anyone has anything they could recommend that’d be ace!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Looks absolutely lovely although it’s £1,339 which seems like American money (This one’s a MIM).

I think it was the cost of the health implications of finishing in Nitro that started Fender moving a lot of production to Mexico thanks to California’s workplace standards rules.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

“If the first audio they downlink is from the descent, we probably won’t be able to hear anything over the sound of the rover screaming.”

sharkattack

Can anyone recommend a smart phone mic please?

Nothing too expensive, its just for messing about with as a first foray into recording myself.

It’s not a microphone but I just got an iRig HD. You can plug into a phone or laptop and use the supplied software to play through digital amps and pedals and stuff.

I’ve been using it to practice with Yousician and record myself with Garage Band.

Yousician is also great for any bass players who are wondering. I haven’t tried the guitar lessons yet. It’s like going to the gym and grinding away on it has progressed my playing more than anything I’ve ever done.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m looking for a gain/overdrive pedal (I think).

I’ve a Princeton ‘68 modified 12W tube amp which starts to break up with a hottish tele bridge pickup at 3-3.5 (which is plenty loud in the house).

id quite like to have it sounding like 6 or maybe even 8(! I’m not a turn it up to 11 kinda guy) but not annoy the neighbours/sheep.

so more grit than screamer.

I’m completely clueless wrt pedals I have a (now redundant) boss tremolo and looper. I’ve had a Marshall and Boss overdrives in the dim and distant past, but I’m not wanting full on distortion.

I’ve been looking at the EHx Soul Food and East River Drive… I did say I was clueless….

sub 100£.

oh, couldn’t quite make/justify the stretch of 1k+ uplift for the Gibson so I’ve ordered the Epiphone LPS in Tv yellow. Due next week….

andeh

Soul Food is EHX’s take on a Centaur
    East River Drive is their go at a Tube Screamer.

The JHS show has a really nice video explaining the types overdrive and what they sound like.

https://youtu.be/8wVShbGe4pk

[video]http://youtu.be/8wVShbGe4pk[/video]

andeh

…another thought, have you considered getting an attenuator to stick between the amp and the speaker? They let you run the amp high enough to break up, but drops the signal before the speakers, so you can get that broken valve tone without broken windows.

sniff
    Free Member

You can try some pedals out online now……

Thomann Stompenberg

metalheart
    Free Member

@andeh: thanks, watched the video. I enjoyed it, but still none the wiser… 🤷🏻‍♀️

@sniff
    : maybe it’s just me but I couldn’t get the dials to work (obvs mines a non magic iPad 😢).

SammyC
    Free Member

I think to avoid buying loads of pedals that don’t do what you want I think you need to have a clear idea what you want and also a clear idea of what sounds you currently have.

For example, a tube screamer is known for adding mid frequencies to your sound, and I think Marshalls have a similar sound with their amps. So if you play a P90 pickup guitar through a screamer into a mid heavy amp you probably won’t get a sound you like!

But a flat response pickup into a clean amp would sound pretty sweet with a screamer!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have a TC Electronics MojoMojo for fattening the sound and boosting the level.
    Paul Gilbert likes them and he has a tad more cred than me. It can have a lot of variation in drive levels but has a very effect bass and treble EQ section.

BigJohn

I was just going to answer the question on mics by pointing at Justin Guitar, but he’s just updated his website in the last day or so and the bit I remember seeing about the types of mics he uses seems to have disappeared. Still it’s worth looking at Anderton’s section on recording mics. There are things like the Rode NT USB mic which should work with a phone.

sniff
    Free Member

@metalheart you need to click and drag up or down. Sort of works on Android phone but get a bit confused by scrolling up and down the screen

Scapegoat

A modest windfall and I treated myself to a Fender Player Series Jazz bass. I already had a Modern Player Series which has twin humbuckers and can be dialled for a really nice growl and thump, but I wanted something a bit brighter. When it arrived it clearly needed a bit of setting up, and it had a few sharp fret edges and a bit of fret sprout, but that’s all been whisked away with a bit of careful filing. However, the strings were dire. Really wooden, very little volume and I spent a good hour or so swearing at the amp for not giving me what I wanted. SO, a set of light D’Addarios and I’ve just spent a blissful couple of hours exploring what it can do. The difference is night and day. Tomorrow I’ll be getting the action where I want it, as I keep stumbling and missing strings here and there. Pity the neighbours…….

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nice buy. Your neighbours will be in my prayers tonight. 🙂

chipps

Ooh, let us know what the Epi LPS is like. Those have got some great reviews… (I don’t need another guitar! I don’t need another guitar!)
    Happy to lend you a drive pedal or two from my er, extensive, impulse-buy, lending library if you want, @metalheart  🙂

sniff
    Free Member

Electric guitar on The Repair Shop tonight

theotherjonv

a new episode, or Hot Chocolate’s bass?

sniff
    Free Member

New episode. A Hofner a bit like this…

Hofner

Did a nice job on it.

oldtennisshoes

Happy New (Bass) Guitar day to me

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/jazz-bass/vintera-60s-jazz-bass/0149633304.html

Bought at a couple of months old, from someone who liked the idea but couldn’t get into it, at a significant discount.

AdamT

Nice one @oldtennisshoes. The P bass looks a bit jealous to me….. Moved to the side, no longer favourite? 😀

oldtennisshoes

Ha ha, the p bass is my daughter’s short scale squire that she got for Christmas so she can play along with me. Annoyingly she picks it up and plays better than me with zero practice – although she does already play Cornet, Flute, Piano and Uke.

My other bass is the blue Yamaha next to the telecaster on the wall; another great bass, but I wanted to try a proper jazz bass. And if I don’t get on with it, my son will play it.

sharkattack

That’s lush. I bought a Vintera at the start of the first lockdown but I settled on a 70’s sunburst.

Student discount gives 20% off absolutely everything on the Fender website. Worth it if you know someone who can hook you up!

I’m keeping a lookout for a decent used P bass. I think between the 2 they’ll be all I ever need.

I wanted something I could string up B/E/A/D as an experiment but I’ve been told it’s hard to make them work well for various reasons. Don’t really fancy a 5 string.

metalheart
    Free Member

@Andeh: thanks for linking that JHS vid. Whilst it didn’t really make me go yeah, that’s what I want, it did the opposite and help me eliminate some. I was tempted for the Wampler Klon copy but price/availability meant I ended up going for the EHx Soul Food after all. It’s not delivering what I was after (which isn’t a surprise all things considered) but I’ll need to try it with my hotrod 52 tele and Tokai LP.

@chipps
    : your offer came after I’d already ordered. Thanks all the same.

as for the epi, it needs a proper set up (intonation of low E&A is off) and I’ve not really had the time to play it (all work and no play makes mh a dull boy). The neck is fat and the epi strings need replaced (turn yer fingers black). But I need to try when when I feel inspired. If not, I’ll let you borrow it 🤪 it took me around 10 years to get to love my hr tele… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 3,692 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.