Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 3,696 total)
  • Guitarists of Singletrack…
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

I seem to have an attention span of about 15 minutes for learning a song.

I was told to break a song into its various sections and learn from the back first so you are always working towards bits you know.
    Worked for a while then I just got over it and a switch clicked in my mind..
    I follow Sophie Lloyd on YouTube (who wouldn’t?) and I got a lot of motivation and theory tips from her videos and theory is the bit my mind glazes over… Her “3 notes per string” video made me think a bit more before just rattling away.
    Mary Spender also seems a very competent teacher.
    And I’m enjoying the ‘instructional’ stuff from Larkin Poe of late.

simondbarnes

I was told to break a song into its various sections and learn from the back first so you are always working towards bits you know.

Not tried that, got to be worth a go!

This year was to be the year I finally got some lessons. Covid has put paid to that (I don’t want to do video lessons)

Edukator
    Free Member

I tried to be Mike McCready in Mad Season this morning but sound nothing like him

You do, I listened to the live version because it’s the first time I’d heard that song, and it’s definitely the same intro. Not easy to reproduce the studio version as the man proves himself live.

That’s a great thing about live music, people aren’t looking for perfection, they’re looking for an atmosphere, passion, life, entertainment. Some bands are very good at simplifying songs to the point they can play them faultlessly every time yet all the feel of the orignal is in there. Watch Billy Gibbons playing Sharp Dressed Man in a recent live vid, much simplified yet you still hear what you’re expecting.

simondbarnes

You do, I listened to the live version because it’s the first time I’d heard that song, and it’s definitely the same intro.

Blimey, thanks 🙂
    I’m going to attempt to smash my 15 minute attention span and learn some more of the song.

oldtennisshoes

Blue

Or

Red?

Decisions decisions 🤷‍♂️

Edit: links fixed

Klunk
    Free Member

yeah a tough one page not found vs page not found 🙂

chipps

What colour is your on-stage sparkly outfit? 😊

failing that, match your shoes…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Anyone looking for a nice Tele? Better sell the house:
    https://www.award-session.com/fender_broadcaster.html

Edukator
    Free Member

If you want one without worn frets, an odd nut, screws sticking way out of the saddles, an odd deck height… you could just sell a bike:

Custom shop Broadcaster

chipps

Collect the set! They’re (mostly) all in here… blackguardlogs.com

However, missing from that list is the 1952 Tele owned by Ross Shafer, ex-owner of Salsa – number 1155… Which I’ve been lucky enough to play. OMG! What a guitar! Stock apart from a brass nut (hey, blame the 70s…) – I’ve got some nice pics of it somewhere, I’ll dig them out…

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m not keen on relics and that guitar is an example of why; it looks right where the Custom Shop relics look a mess.

I’d want to disinfect it before playing though. 😉

metalheart
    Free Member

I do like blackguard blondes.

Maybe mine might look a bit aged in 40 years time…

Fender Vintage Hotrod n flowers

Mind you that was taken 12 years ago…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Can I be controversial and say I really don’t like Teles and can’t understand why anyone would want one when the Strat is a better and more versatile guitar? I am saying this as a keen singlespeed rider so I can see the irony but I really can’t see what a Tele offers and over 50 odd years never have.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh, and the headstock is ugly too. Not fat Strat headstock ugly but bad across the range since forever.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve got the blackguard on the previous page and junior has a couple. Mine is a con in that it’s thoroughly modern. A 10″-12″ compound radius neck with a sort of flattened C shape, double expanding trussrod, N3 noiseless pickups. One of junior’s has a Little Thunder in the neck.

The broadcaster type pickups (overwound with thin wire and big magnets) sound great with a clean tube amp but have their issues. I’ve got some Crel 666 which are ace till I click a pedal at high gain or use a modeling amp on high gain settings. They squeal even when taken out of the guitar (so it’s not acoustic feedback it’s something electronic), same with De Marzio Twang King.

So you need two blackguards, one with original type pickups and one with lower output single coils or N3/N4/Duncan noiseless. This one sounds lovely, it’s junior’s 2012 Clasic Vibe through a Mustang 2. Subsequent year models don’t sound the same and the latest ones have very different pickups.

metalheart
    Free Member

Who needs a strat?
    Deluxe Plus Telecaster (0089)

🤪

metalheart
    Free Member

Can I be controversial and say I really don’t like Teles and can’t understand why anyone would want one when the Strat is a better and more versatile guitar?

A tele through a Princeton is one of the classic guitar sounds.

I don’t like the stuff you like, it leaves me cold tbh (personal taste, we’re all different). A tele is a striped down, bare, honest guitar.

It’s also (imho) a thing of joy and beauty.

I’ve a strat, but can’t feel the same about it as the blonde…

chipps

That Broadcaster in the YT link above sounds incredible…

I hear you on the ‘Why do people like Teles?’ comment, though I think I’m warming to them. Actually no… I’ve got a couple of Cabronitas – so Filtertron pickups and not at all Tele-like… I’ve been through a few previously – I did think I wanted a double-bound custom, but realised that they’re actually really sharp-edged! And I had a Quarter Pounder pickuped bits and pieces Tele too… I do prefer Strats, though Ross’s ’52 does have a huge amount of magic to it. (I know what you mean about disinfecting it – I played it in a jam on a warm night and you could feel the grunge rubbing off the back of the neck… seemed appropriate at the time though :-))

Mikkel
    Free Member

Anyone got any idea what this might be?
    2020-10-27_11-04-43

eddiebaby
    Free Member

German? Hoya did some teardrop soundhole jazzers with those ugly block fretboard markers, but I’ve never seen them at just 5/7/12 before.

chipps

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/440860251018335779/?nic_v2=1a3xvyqR1

Thanks for the detective assignment – I’m reckoning a Goldklang… Or maybe a Voss. German, 1960s… or so.

This neck looks familiar: https://reverb.com/uk/item/2292495-rare-vintage-voss-archtop-jazz-f-hole-guitar-gima-gitarre-germany-1960

Mikkel
    Free Member

Nice work chipps

And I like those fretboard markings, like d day stripes for guitars 🙂

Mikkel
    Free Member

Hoyer and Voss have that cutout shape but can’t find any pictures with same body shape.

simondbarnes

Dropped my new Jag off with Rick @ Marvel Guitars this morning for fettle. Have just picked it up again so I can’t blame the guitar for my shit playing now 🤣

Bregante

My new (old) Squier tele arrived earlier. Its not in bad nick for a 30 year old guitar…

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

simondbarnes

Like it 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Blimey, pretty darn spotless. You must be happy with that to say the least.

Bregante

Yup. Very very happy indeed. Just need to learn to play it now!

RustySpanner

Can I be controversial and say I really don’t like Teles and can’t understand why anyone would want one when the Strat is a better and more versatile guitar? I am saying this as a keen singlespeed rider so I can see the irony but I really can’t see what a Tele offers and over 50 odd years never have.

Fiiiiiiight!

1. Strats resonate, it’s the trem. They add that glassy sheen which comes from all those symathetic resonances of the trem and springs.
    A Jag or Jazzmaster even more so.
    It’s not wrong or right, it’s just different.

2. The control layout.
    The Tele controls are pretty much perfectly placed. Strat knobs get in the way, depending how you play.
    And no tone control on the bridge? Please…..

Which leads me to….

3 The pickups.
    Strat bridge pickups are usually bloody awful. An annoying, high pitched itch in the middle of your head.
    Tele bridge pickups are the voice of a sane god.
    Yes, Strat neck pickups are heavenly. So put one in a Tele and have the best of both worlds.
    In between positions? Fine, stick a Strat middle pickup in there too, if you must.

4. Body shape.
    Cats and dogs.
    Strats are trying too hard to please. Slippery horrible things – fall off your knee.
    Teles are honest. You know where you are with a Tele.
    Be honest – if you were fighting off zombies, a Tele would be so much better.

5. Versatility.
    Teles have a mellower neck pick up and a more comple and a simply classier bridge pick up.
    No contest.

For me, a Tele with a Strat neck pickup, or a Strat with a Tele bridge pickup would be just peachy.
    Lowell George had it right…….

Off tomorrow, so me and Mrs S are just about to go and murder some easy Stones and Chuck Berry.
    I’ll use the Ibanez RG.
    It’s so much better than either. 😃

eddiebaby
    Free Member

OOOOH!.
    1. Strats resonate, it’s the trem.
    And damn fine it is to. You can always tighten the springs so the bridge is flush to the body. Helps if you break a string as well.

2. The control layout.
    The Tele controls are pretty much perfectly placed. Strat knobs get in the way, depending how you play. And no tone control on the bridge? Please…..
    Blend in the middle pick up if needed, pick further towards the neck use the volme for tone if playing at higher gain..

3 The pickups.
    Strat bridge pickups are usually bloody awful. An annoying, high pitched itch in the middle of your head.
    Tele bridge pickups are the voice of a sane god.
    Yes, Strat neck pickups are heavenly. So put one in a Tele and have the best of both worlds.
    In between positions? Fine, stick a Strat middle pickup in there too, if you must.
    Choose your Strat carefully. Mine have been great with the Custom Shop 60s wind and a Seymour JB jnr works well, especially with a Schaller selector switch to auto split it on pos 2.

4. Body shape.
    Cats and dogs.
    Strats are trying too hard to please. Slippery horrible things – fall off your knee.
    Teles are honest. You know where you are with a Tele.
    Be honest – if you were fighting off zombies, a Tele would be so much better.
    Zombies like my music. I never have to fight them. The body shape is stunning you are wrongetty wrong wrong.

5. Versatility.
    Teles have a mellower neck pick up and a more complex and a simply classier bridge pick up. No contest.
    Pick ups are easily changed, the out of phase sounds of a good Strat are stunning.

I’ll use the Ibanez RG. It’s so much better differenter than either.

I’ll not argue too much with that. Played a Jem once and have had my eye out for one for a while.

🙂

Mikkel
    Free Member

Found out it says Rima in very small letters on the mystery guitar above.
    Anyone know of that make?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Are you sure it doesn’t say Gima like in the link Chipps posted above?
    Can you take a photo and where is the lettering?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Rime means Rhyme in Spanish so could be a model name.

Mikkel
    Free Member

I don’t have it, it’s one I’m thinking of buying as a little restoration project.

Mikkel
    Free Member

This is only reference to the name I have found
    http://www.girano.de/html/rima.html

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Confusions abound. The headstock on the Voss looks far closer to your pic. I get the impression in this part of the market a lot of copying ‘being inspired by’ was going on.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Yea,lots of similarities on my picture and one on the site I linked to though.
    Think I will make an offer

Superficial
    Free Member

5. Versatility.
    Teles have a mellower neck pick up and a more complex and a simply classier bridge pick up. No contest.
    Pick ups are easily changed, the out of phase sounds of a good Strat are stunning.

On this subject, can someone explain phase to me? I remember it from A-level physics a few (many!) years ago but I can’t really understand how it relates to musical instruments. Something to do with how the in-between positions (pos 2 and 4 on a Strat) give you the difference between the two pickups?

This is more confusing since my Baja Tele has a phase switcher on the S1 allowing you to switch in and out of phase when using (either of) the in-between setting(s). Out of phase sounds very thin and weed – Only really good for funky strumming and definitely not what I would use for a chimey Strat lead tone.

What is actually happening?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

It looks interesting and in reasonable nick, keep us updated.

Edit: Again the Voss has the fretting stopping well short of the end of the fingerboard.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The pickups in the Stat are picking up different harmonics from the strings due to the different distances from the bridge. This leads to cancellation of some frequencies and amplification of others.
    All found by accident rather than a design feature.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 3,696 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.