Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 382 total)
  • Guitarists – if you had £500 for something new…
  • bazzer
    Free Member

Also any recommendation of fixed bridge twin humbucker guitars at around that price point, what should I try.

mutley

@bazzer I got an Ibanez Iron Label off of Fleabay for 300 quid.  Twin humbuckers, fixed bridge, Wizard 3 piece neck and flamed maple top.  Plays beautifully and if you don’t always need the higher output from the PUs it cleans up nicely with the coil tap.

bazzer
    Free Member

@mutley

Thats interesting as I currently play an Japanese build J class Ibanez RG1570, I just want something with a fixed bridge I can quickly play with other tunings.

So that would fit with the sort of guitar I like, however I am not sure if I want something different or more of what I know I like 🙂

mutley

I now what you mean, I have been consistently unadventurous having two other twin humbucker fixed bridge guitars.  The Ibanez is the most flexible because of the coil tap, I can get a nice Fender-y twang, on those rare occasions I am not stomping away in drop C 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Also any recommendation of fixed bridge twin humbucker guitars at around that price point, what should I try.

Something from Chapman?

bazzer
    Free Member

Yeah the ML1 Pro Modern looks like its worth a play I was looking at them earlier today.

I think a drive upto Andertons in Guildford is on the cards as they have the Fender and the Chapman.

mutley

I have a Chapman Ghost Fret Standard.  Its very nice to play.  Wanted an ML1 Pro but got the Ibanez instead.

bazzer
    Free Member

Is the Chapman Ghost Fret Standard in Unicorn Fade colour 🙂

Cool looking guitar 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was in Andertons yesterday, they’ve got pretty much all the Chapman range in store, spread all over the place… massive Ibanez and Charvel stock, big ESP and MusicMan/Stingray (you must try out the stingray, it’s a very very good guitar and very cheap IMO, black or white one)

Tried G&L? theres loads of them too…. and Reverand (which are excellent too)

SO much choice… enjoy choosing..

Inbred456
    Free Member

ESP MH-400FR in blue quilted maple.

ESP MH-400FR

Just got my Son one of these from Facebook market place. £400 2nd hand. 24 fret, EMG’s Thru neck solid maghogany (it weighs a ton!) ESP licensed Floyd isn’t too bad either.

rOcKeTdOg

if we are mentioning Reverend, i’ve got one of these

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice ^

I like this one..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Heres a pic for markwsf, as an example of a gold pick guard on a plain lacquer finished Strat.. (I mentioned earlier)

bazzer
    Free Member

I like that Reverend 🙂

Best thread in ages 🙂

edhornby

yeah I like that reverend – I have a hankering for putting a P90 in the neck of my tele, will have to check if the cavity really is already routed as I’ve been led to believe..

seosamh77
    Free Member

So are youse actually doing anything with these shiney new bits, or are they just ornaments!

Lets be hearing youse!

racefaceec90

trust me you don’t want to hear any of my playing (either on bass or guitar). i am terrible lol

seosamh77
    Free Member

racefaceec90

trust me you don’t want to hear any of my playing (either on bass or guitar). i am terrible lol

So’s everyone, apparently! 😆

ps, I do, kinda why I asked, don’t care if you’re terrible!

Edukator
    Free Member

Lets be hearing youse!

Three vids on the previous page, Seosamh, now you. 😉 People are far too polite to comment usually. I did get a “singing out of tune” comment on here once but I can live with that.

You did a pretty good guitar cover of Rush, Raceface90, bass next.

RustySpanner

I’m seriously impressed with Edukator’s vids.
    Takes some balls to do that.

I genuinely am rubbish.

I have better days, but it’s just chords.
    Simple ones mostly.

I can bashout a bit of Ramones and play along to simple stuff. 10 months back in after a 20 year layoff. I’m getting better.

racefaceec90

Edukator my apologies that you had to see that lol. thank you for the kind words though 😁

as rusty spanner said above it takes guts to film yourself and you can definitely play/sing for sure 👍

edit i will try and record myself playing bass at some point,it’s just that i only have a fire tablet and my mobile phone atm tricky to film myself with them (to get myself in frame properly).

Edukator
    Free Member

Ta Rusty and Raceface. My mobile phone is held by three cartons of orange juice on a chair.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm… I doubt I’ll ever post any vids of me playing..

I only do it for myself, I’m not that interested in what others think of my playing since most of the time I’m only playing along to some tracks and trying to work out what latest Jazz chord or appegio I can fit in while the tracks playing..

We all do it for our own reasons…

lesgrandepotato

We’ll I’ve sprung for the Digitech Trio plus. Should arrive tommorow. Bring on the band!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awesome…

Plenty of time to figure it out, theres some pretty cool presets in it innit…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Edukator

Lets be hearing youse!

Three vids on the previous page, Seosamh, now you. 😉

We see you all the time though, you don’t count. you’re a given. 😆

whatgoesup

The wooden Strat has arrived !

It is very very nice – once the previous owners setup was roughly sorted out. I may have changed my mind about swapping out the scratch plate – it looks great in the flesh.

Quick playing around over an A minor track – apologies to any Portishead fans… I’m very much a beginner !

Quick sound demo

Edukator
    Free Member

A nicely restrained and atmospheric false beginner. A reminder I should slow down a bit sometimes.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I’ve been playing this quite a bit today:

1963 Fender Jaguar – Refinished – Pre CBS with Original Case

…and I absolutely love it! I’ve not played many Jags, but they have a really unique sound that you can’t really replicate on other Fenders.

Unfortunately, it’s way too expensive for me, but it did make me wonder if I should chop my Tele in for a new Jag. We’ve got an account with Fender, but it would still be north of a grand.

JP

Edukator
    Free Member

You’ve posted some interesting guitars, JP. But that Jaguar accumulates the things to avoid when buying a classic IMO. Especially when one of the best reproductions that Fender do is this:

https://www.thomann.de/fr/fender_johnny_marr_jaguar_ow.htm

You’ll no doubt find a buyer, Nirvana fans have money in their pockets these days, it’s a strange world the classic guitars market. Of your current stock I’d “kick the tyres” of the 335 with P90s and the Thinline Tele.

metalheart
    Free Member

I had a white MIJ jag back in the nineties (which I foolishly ran through a tranny twin fender amp). I sold the whole kit and kiboodle when I realised I wasn’t really any good… 🤣 I wish I’d kept hold of it.

I have a hankering after a sunburst jag (but with a non painted headstock). Isn’t the Ventura range relatively affordable? I did get a trade in quote on a Johnny marr sig one one time (Olympic white though) too rich for a hanmfister like me…

In the end I got a rev charger 290 (in turquoise) which scratched the j-shape itch/different sound a little for significantly less (& no trade in).

I also picked up an Ibanez Jet King for about 70£ secondhand a while back.

And just for tele fans, my deluxe…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Niiiiceee .. 🤪👍

Stupid.is
    Free Member

So I have picked up the guitar again after a long break and am happy that I kept my old Acoustic guitar (along with the muscle memory for a minor pentatonic scale and a few chords).

Now this thread has started the itch to buy an Electric guitar to use with something along the lines of an iRig2. But where the hell do I start in piking a new (or SH) guitar? At the moment I don’t really have a musical style of choice but have always in the past leaned towards rock and metal but these days like the idea of Blues and Jazz. Previous guitars I have owned have been Ibanez of some sort and a Peavey Wolfgang special.

With all this in mind it feels like I am walking into a bike shop and saying “I would like to buy a bike please”. Queue a sigh from the shop staff.

So suggest some plans of attack! Budget is up to £500 but I am starting to wonder if just grabbing a Squire Tele would be a good starter for 10.

rOcKeTdOg

I thought the deluxe Tele was twin humbucker & three singles was a Nashville?

AdamT

" alt="null" />

Recent 2nd hand purchase. Loving the challenge.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ theres too many strings on that Bass Mr.. 🤪

So suggest some plans of attack! Budget is up to £500 but I am starting to wonder if just grabbing a Squire Tele would be a good starter for 10.

Thats quite a budget really. And it’ll take you into Fender Player Series categories above the Squier range… not that Squier aren’t good, it’s just the Player series has a lot of higher quality parts etc.. Might be a viable option.

But I’d send you over to MusicMan Stingray series, fabulous playing guitars, similar to your Wolfgang shape (if thats what kinda shape you are after) and for £250 too… see Andertons website..

Other than that, G&L/Charvel/Jackson/Epiphone, good there are so many manufacturers building brilliant guitars for £250 upwards these days it’s hard to recommend any one brand.

Blues/Jazz might mean heading down the P90 route or a mellow Humbucker of some sort… I play Jazz/Neo-Soul stuff on a Strat using the neck pickup only, its an early 60’s wound inspired pickup and it’s frankly brilliant..

Always worth looking at Andertons S/h collection, I spotted an Elite Tele in there that looked about a couple of years old for £500…, the one with the bound neck n-all..

eBay/Reverb or even FB have Guitar for Sale groups, they looking on there for something that takes your fancy.. then try one out.. it’s really the only way to know..

Do you intend to buy an Amp as well for the £500 budget?

racefaceec90

stupid.is the classic vibe guitars are very good for the money (there are some good teles in the range ranging from 60’s 70’s teles to thinlines so you will have a few choices as to what you might like).

definitely go to a guitar shop if you can to try out a few and see what you like (and don’t worry about your playing,i am not great on the guitar but i will try them out in the shop).

theotherjonv

i can’t play for toffee, but I’ve always wanted to. Last year my youngest got the part of Katie in a school production of School of Rock (the celloist turned bassist) and we had the loan of a Fender fretless Jazz bass for a bit because they all learned a few of the key parts / the main song (in the stage show the kids play it all)

Which gave me the chance to have a fiddle. As a result of which I now own an Ibanez Talman bass in black with red tortoiseshell pick guard like this

Ibanez Talman Bass in Black

But my all time guitar god is of course Johnny Marr, and seeing those Jaguars up there just sent me a-googling….. and as my bass is allowed a wall hanger in the dining room, would it be wrong for an inept like me to flog my Ibanez and get this instead, just for the looks.

Fender Player Jaguar Bass w/ Maple Fretboard in Tidepool

Most of the time it’s played acoustically or through headphones so sound honestly isn’t that important, I just love how it looks. Too shallow.

(I can play a few bass lines too; Pixies, a couple of Smiths ones – but Andy Rourke’s bass lines are HARD – and then some obvious ones that I probably don’t dare mention assuming there’s an equivalent bass rule to NO STAIRWAY)

AdamT

@bikebouy, my other bass is a 5, so figured it might be tough to swap between. I’m a guitarist really and play exclusively 6 strings…I think 7 string future costs guitars would be tough (e.g. for chords).

Adding to other bits of the thread, I got a prs se 245 for £250 in vgc for my son. Lots of guitar for the cash.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I fiddled with a fretless Bass many moons ago, I couldn’t figure it out at all.. I admire anyone who can..

👍

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 382 total)

The topic ‘Guitarists – if you had £500 for something new…’ is closed to new replies.