Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Guitarists – favourite effects pedals? £100 voucher to spend.
  • RustySpanner

Hiya.

Have an Amazon voucher burning a hole in my pocket and a slight GAS attack.

We have a 5 watt Fender valve amp downstairs. Sounds great clean, use a Boss SD1 Super Overdrive for crunchy tones at low volume, a Bigmuff for freaky fuzz (sounds great boosted by the SD1) and have a cheap Behringer tremolo for a 60’s vibe.

What else is fun? Quite fancy a Dunlop Mini Wah which seems great value and should give lots of options.

Also have a Vox Valvetronics 50 watt amp with built in effects but no wah, so could be used with that also.

Basically looking for something which will add versatility and actually get used.

Up to £100 (ish), so no Klon Centaurs 🙂.

Lots of tuners, otherwise a Boss TU3 would have been spot on.

Other option is an Orange Micro Dark amp, but I’d have to buy the cute little matching cab and we don’t really need another amp, or so I’ve been told 🙂
    Very, very tempting though….

Any ideas?

Fine for straps, cables, cases, tuners etc.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Browse EHX website
    Choose
    Buy

RustySpanner

Yeah, but what? 🙂

Don’t really need a compressor for home use, haven’t got a perm so a chorus is out.

A looper would be fun, perhaps a delay?

The Vox has most of the modulation stuff covered, so seems a bit of a waste to duplicate any of that stuff….

lesgrandepotato

What do you want to play that you can’t nail the sound of?

earl_brutus

Dunlop crybaby?
    Ehx analog delay?
    Boss Phaser or flanger?

AdamT

I’d go with a looper.

RustySpanner

Nothing specific, tbh, would like something versatile that would work with different styles of playing and might inspire me to try different things.

Hence the initial idea of a wah, which seems like it would be useful and fun to use for pretty much anything.

I’m happy with the overdive sounds I already have, don’t really want anything massively high gain.

A wah would be cool for trying some funky stuff. Also good for a bit of reggae too, as would a good delay, something else I don’t have.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d go for the amp.

darthpunk
    Free Member

I’m going for a delay next, I quite fancy one of these

metalheart
    Free Member

Boss tremolo pedal. If your fender amp doesn’t have it inbuilt…

root-n-5th
    Free Member

If I were to have only one pedal it would be the Boss OD-1. It’s lovely. I realise you have the SD-1 but it’s a different beast – maybe not so distorted, more creamy with a bit of Chilli.

Edukator
    Free Member

I prefer a digital delay with a read out. The delay time is critical to getting the desired effect and it’s convenient to have a digital read out and do a quick mental calculation to dial in the delay you want. Try picking something repetetive at 120bpm then 240bpm with a delay of 333ms and you’ll understand where a lot of Big Country and U2 sounds have their roots.

A plexi pedal of some kind or a TS9/TS808 are worth having if you don’t have a Plexi amp or value your hearing and don’t want to play with the amp flat out. I’m tempted by a Tone City Golden Plexi to use with my Fender amp.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A Delay

Or

A Reverb

EHX or Boss or MXR do some good quality stuff that’ll take those £’00 you have burning in your pocket.

👍

whatgoesup

Boss GT-1 – a little over budget but it’s essentially every pedal you could ever want in one. Including wah, tuner etc etc etc

Can also do amp modelling, and has USB interface for computer recording if that’s ever of interest.

bigblackshed

Ibanez Tube Screamer mini. £69

Tone City Tape Machine. £49.

mutley

TC Electronics Hall of Fame 2, bloomin lovely reverb pedal with swell function.  £94 worth of shimmery goodness

RustySpanner

Thanks everyone.

I’m buying a bit blind here.
    Ideally, I’d go and try them all out beforehand, but Amazon…. don’t want to be one of those people who try everything in the shop then buy off the internet.

Mind you, I could always buy something from the shop anyway…🙂

Choices, choices……

CaptainSlow

TC Electronic reverb or delay. Or the boss RC1 looper.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Boss GT-1

I use use this when I’m staying in hotels.

I plug my iPhone in, headphones in and my guitar and plink plonk all night.

Its really rather good.

IIRC there are over 100 presets, and that covers everything from 80’hair metal distortion through to super clean twin reverbs..

The bonus(s) though for me is it’s battery powered, they last about 7-8hrs and all the presets can be user modified and saved… I’ve got 7 of my own and IIRC has about 100 more space…

Obviously 80% of the presets I don’t use,  it it isn’t a waste.. I’ve recently got into modifying those I don’t particularly like into something I do..

It’s Boss, So has all the “original” Boss pedals from over the years preset into it.. which if you are a fan of those it’s a reliable source of quick access and tone.

Its worth adding funds to that £100 of yours.. they are £150-160

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

A delay pedal can be fun. It’s nice to twiddle the knobs and get self-oscillating feedback etc.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

tagnut69
    Free Member

that Korg Miku vid is hilarious

brassneck

CryBaby or EH Small Clone Chorus.

Though I have several nano pedals from cheap manufacturers from Amazon (the mini TS-9 copy I got was awesome) around the £20 -£40 pound mark, so you could buy a few and see what you mgiht want to invest in another time?

I’d like Dr Robert pedal, but that’ll have to keep for a while 😀

brassneck

Hers a question – anyone seen something like the GT1 that just does stop box effects?

I like my Mesa so don’t need a modeller – but a all in one wah / volume, ‘one louder’ pedal, chorus, delay, trem – all switchable, and maybe save banks of pedals .. that might save a lot of mucking about.

edhornby

a delay, if you set the delay time short it gives you a kinda reverb effect, but also you can set the delay to a tempo and do rhythmic playing like the Edge

loopers are good fun but the amazon cheapie ones are fine to have a go.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

EHX soul food – Klon clone. Good on its own as a ‘more’ pedal and will stack nicely with the OD-1 for saturated gain tones…
    or a Ditto looper pedal so you can play with yourself so to speak

canopy
    Free Member

if that 5w fender amp is a champion 600 (i had a fsr champion 600 ‘little blondie’).. a reverb is one of the best pedals for it. its a hard little amp to get a good sound out of as driving it too hard ends up in it flubbing.

the reverb i had for it was a digitech rv7
    digitech rv7
    it is my most used pedal. i wanted it for the spring to get a surfy sound.
    i also have several ODs, distortions etc etc.. never got anything to gel well with that amp.

i sold the amp and got a Fender Mustang III v2.. as the small speaker convinced me to go big. don’t regret it. (and i got the III v2 for less than i sold the 600 for)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Brassneck, have a look at the TC Nova System. I have one, and use it as a set of single stompboxes. Can be had for ~£100 used and will deal with the Mesa’s funny fx loop levels. No wah though.
    Main issue is you can’t do the 4CM (i.e. run drive pedals in front of the amp and time based ones in the loop), but I imagine your Mesa will deal with drive pretty well by itself.

Mine is great, works well at gig volumes as well as home.

whatgoesup

Hers a question – anyone seen something like the GT1 that just does stop box effects?

A GT1 can be used with the amp modelling switched off, so acts just as you describe.
    You can reassign the existing footswitches (three plus the expression pedal) to whatever function you like, and add up to two additional footswitches.

maracucho
    Free Member

Ardenne? Luxembourg for cheap fuel. Recommended.

Jura? Doubs?

RustySpanner

canopy

Subscriber
    if that 5w fender amp is a champion 600 (i had a fsr champion 600 ‘little blondie’).. a reverb is one of the best pedals for it. its a hard little amp to get a good sound out of as driving it too hard ends up in it flubbing.

Why yes, yes it is.

It’s fine at low levels with the SD1/Bigmuff. It occaisionally gets a treat and I turn it up a bit, but I agree, it gets a bit harsh when pushed.

Today, I have mostly been playing an MXR Superbadass Distortion, an MXR Carbon Copy and a Boss GT1. Loved the sounds of the MXR pedals and the convenience of the GT1.
    Am more confused than ever. 🙂

I think I’m going to order the Dunlop Mini Wah.

Cheers folks!

RustySpanner

The GT1 was quite impressive btw, but I’m more of a fan of simplicity these days rather than delving about in menus.
    I think it would frustrate me.

I compared the SD1 directly to the MXR Superbadass, and although the MXR was better, it wasn’t £120 better.
    The Carbon Copy was amazing – easy to use and sounded wonderful.

So, I think I’m going to pick up a wah and a nice delay pedal and call it a day.

I’ll keep the Champion 600 for it’s clean tones, small size and convenience.

I’ve had the Vox AD50VT from new, but fancy something a bit simpler and tougher.
    I never play with the editing functions tbh.

My ears love valves, my back hates them – a Roland Cube of some sort appeals for practice (and small gigs, if we ever get to that stage).
    Simple, not too heavy, good sounds.

The Vox will do all that for now, I’ll keep it until I hear something inspiring.

timdrayton
    Free Member

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/14110613392632–line-6-amplifi-tt

Brilliant thing

Wanna sound like jimmy from the isle of white on a specific strat amp combo… someone will have modelled it

timdrayton
    Free Member

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Guitarists – favourite effects pedals? £100 voucher to spend.’ is closed to new replies.