Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • GUITARISTS – Collaborative guitar design on STW
  • plumber
    Free Member

http://www.kingbeeguitars.com/showcase/

This guy has offered to build me a guitar at a stunningly good rate as I already have 2 guitars from him this year. I ordered a tele and a strat which are my idea of a perfect guitar of that type.

So I’m out of ideas and wanted to open to STW to design a guitar along with me – based on strat/tele/jag body style – neck, colour, pickups, trem all open to design input

Anyone care to help/advise/interfere

Basically the more wacky the better

Perhaps base it on a STW theme? Blackguard 52 tele? Gold sparkle strat?

Build time is approx 6 months then I can put a demo on utoob if anyone is interested.

Seems like an excellent way to waste some time to me

Thanks

Plum

racefaceec90

how about a 27 3/4 scale glued neck tele sculpted heel (thinking tele jr).it was made out of mahogany (ebony fingerboard).it had p90 pickups.

what about having a fernandez sustainer pickup in the neck,one of those p90/humbucker pickups combo too (seymour duncan) coil tapped.

oh and a whammy bar to add to the mayhem (maybe a jaguar type).

you could get it in a sparkly glitter metallic paint job (with a sticker of a unicorn e.t.c 😉

actually that guitar would be well cool (am not joking either 8)

RustySpanner

Ooooh, good thread!

Reversed Jag swamp ash body (ie larger horn at bottom), regular strat body contour, modern strat trem.
    Tele pickup at the bridge, P90 in the middle, strat vintage pickup at the neck.
    5 way switching, stacked tone and volume for each pickup, one piece solid maple tele neck, compound radius, tele head stock.

Surf green, Daphne blue or powder pink. Nickle hardware, white pickguard.
    Jack on edge of body. Medium frets, clay dots or trapezoids.

Next!

tyger
    Free Member

I currently have:

A modded Roadworn 57 Telecaster – mapel neck, 4 way switch, vintage pickups

An authentic in every detail 1962 Fender Strat in Fiesta red – slight relic

A 54 Fender Strat sunburst, ash bodied, tophat knobs, 54 pups

I can’t justify all three so if any of these interest you let me know and I can send pics etc.

tyger@talk21.com cheers Paul

Ro5ey
    Free Member

It’s gotta a be a double neck !!

A 12 string Strat neck above the 6 string Tele

plumber
    Free Member

Tyger – I assume they are not left handed?

plumber
    Free Member

Rusty spanner clearly knows his onions – like it 🙂

tyger
    Free Member

Ah no – sorry all Right Hookers 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I can give opinions on wood and internal structure for classical guitars should you decide to play an actual instrument 😛

plumber
    Free Member

Junkyard,

I’d be interested in a classical lefty if you know where to get a decent one

BobaFatt
    Free Member

if it’s singletrack inspired, it’ll have to be bigger than all the other guitars, be coffee coloured, have four rings for every dot on the fret board, have some sort of midi output and a KAOSS pad for the IT bods and have enough sustain that it never stops…….ever

Failing that something along these lines

Stripped back jazzmaster with p90’s and a single volume control, no other electronics

maxtorque

Surely you just want to sling 6 strings over a spare filing cabinet?? 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

I designed this body shape a while ago, have always wanted to get it made (maybe without the pickguard though) but can’t justify the cost and I think I’d mess it up doing it myself! It’s kind of a mix of my Les Paul and Strat bodies. Bit like a PRS but slightly pointier!

CountZero

I’ve fancied a custom guitar for ages, based around a Tele. I also like Les Paul Junior guitars, so my design would be a sort of synthesis; Tele body, but with the upper body as it joins the neck mirror imaging the lower, so there are double symmetrical cutaways, ditch the ashtray tailpiece and have the sort of tailpiece that the hollow-body Tele has, symmetrical scratchplate, with an EMG humbucker at the neck, and regular type pickup at the tailpiece. Ash body, maple neck. Clean and simple, and light.
    Actually, a hollow-body f-hole Tele with double symmetrical cutaways would be nice, too.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Exactly what Boba Fett says, you can’t beat a Jazzmaster without the tone circuit. Tone circuits are the biggest load of cock to infect electric guitars since the original Jaguar bridge!

CountZero

A quick search turned up this:

Fender Thinline. I’d prefer symmetrical scratchplates, but this is close to my ideal.
    This, even closer:

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junkyard,

I’d be interested in a classical lefty if you know where to get a decent one

Just get a “righty” and restring it as they dont have a cut out [ or anything on the body [ no idea what you would call that plastic bit on a ellecy guitar the black bit on tom’s drawing or above] so they are entirely reversible.

grievoustim
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member
    Exactly what Boba Fett says, you can’t beat a Jazzmaster without the tone circuit. Tone circuits are the biggest load of cock to infect electric guitars since the original Jaguar bridge

don’t agree. I’m always tweaking my tone knobs 🙂

CountZero

Thinking about it, that Black Cherry Burst Thinline, without the scratchplate would be perfect, just put a clear adhesive scratchguard, maybe helicopter tape, on it and I could happily live with that. Pretty guitar.

manitou
    Free Member
    uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’m a Strat guy so I’d go for something strat shaped and outrageously flamed or quilted like a Warmoth Soloist

Or even better like this John Suhr Modern

julianwilson
    Free Member

hipshot tremelo innit! 😀

oh and a pearloid scratchplate and matching machinehead buttons.

Gweilo
    Free Member

Tyger this 54 Strat you have is it a 1954 strat or a pawn/custom shop series or something else with 54 pickups in it?

Apologies if I’m being thick.

I currently have a Clapton Strat with vintage noiseless pickups, ash body, maple neck soft v profile (tele like in its feel) mid tone boost and gain on circuits, which I’m not sure I like

MrNutt
    Free Member

grevioustim, I used to think that but…

then I fitted a “no-load” pot, now I’m dumping all my tone circuits in favour of shaping the tone with a string of analogue pedals and the amps tone settings.

CountZero

Uponthedowns: nice! Love the colour of the Warmoth, but prefer the design and wood of the Suhr. Beautiful instruments, those.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

roasted birdseye maple neck. mahogany body set neck telecaster brass saddles and nuts Orange drop caps. through body. flamed maple top. vintage cream hardware. bare knuckle pickups.

chipps

I’m still a few years into getting round to building up a custom body I had made (about five years ago now!) – mostly because I haven’t finished sanding the body and finishing it.

Anyway, it’s a Strat shape, but semi-solid (with an F-hole) and then it has a neck humbucker and a piezo bridge. I reckon I can get some decent sounds out of it when I finally finish it. I’ll let you know how I get on.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘GUITARISTS – Collaborative guitar design on STW’ is closed to new replies.