Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Guitarist content – pedalboard – what do you use?
  • plumber
    Free Member

I need to make myself a pedal board to house……………..erm…………pedals

So do I go down the gorm route –

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ikea+gorm+pedalboard&hl=en&pwst=1&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&ei=yKhMT5qTLsWp0QWx7fHMAw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CCsQ_AUoAQ&biw=1311&bih=612

or do you use something differenter?

I want to make something so don’t want to go the premade route if I can help it

THanks

Plum

skaifan
    Free Member

I used to use a piece of 10mm thick foamex with black felt mount filmed to it. Now I use 1 pedal.

Trampus
    Free Member

Google ‘Pete Cornish’ and be inspired! 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I have a Pedalboard.com board and gigbag in the loft which I’ve been meaning to do something with. Anyone want it?

Tom-B
    Free Member

I got given a Boss BCB 60 just before xmas so am using that atm. You can’t fit many pedals in it though-I’ll be getting a custom one made at some point this year. The pedal train ones are pretty sturdy from what I’ve seen.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A couple of the guys I play with have a flight case, as thin as they can manage, with their pedals mounted on, I think, 5mm plywood inside. Makes for really simple transport for gigs and rehearsals, not to mention keeping pedals always protected from stuff, things and dust.

trail_rat
    Free Member

went to a gig recently to support a mate and one of the support acts was this emo group – i swear the guy had 20 pedals if he had 1 – he spent the entire set strumming then pressing about 3 pedals before taking another swipe at the strings.

we found it quite hillarious – they were terrible as well.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I used to use a really complicated array of pedal boards (digital and analogue) and I used to spend the whole concert/rehearsal dancing around like a gibbon constantly pressing all the pedals. These days I just use one of these and a Marshall pre amp.

lodious
    Free Member

….you don’t need a pedalboard for lonely Boss overdrive ;-(

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

None, I use no pedal board at all,live or in the studio. A board allows you to hide behind all the effects on it thus disguising the fact that you’re not very good.

Try playing for a few days without any fx,not even reverb or tone controls….. just a straight line through the amp, and for the first few hours, you’ll sound s**t, simply because the fx make you lazy and sloppy,you’ll then actually have to start playing properly to sound any good.

Tom-B
    Free Member

A board allows you to hide behind all the effects on it thus disguising the fact that you’re not very good.

For some maybe. For others it is an important part of their sound. I use overdrive, wah, delay and tuner for any rock/blues gigs that I play-I’m fairly confident that I’m not disguising any technical shortfalls…….then there’s the setup that I use when playing live Dubstep/Electronica on Bass-impossible to do without an array of pedals-I currently use 7 and will be up to 11 once I’ve got the spare cash.

grum
    Free Member

None, I use no pedal board at all,live or in the studio. A board allows you to hide behind all the effects on it thus disguising the fact that you’re not very good.

Yeah, like Muse – they can’t play their instruments can they.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Well, I don’t particularly rate them anyway …..:)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A board allows you to hide behind all the effects on it thus disguising the fact that you’re not very good.

Jimmy Page’s pedal board:

Jimmy Page (check out Jack White’s face at 25secs; beautiful!):

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVfLTasv_Fc[/video]

(Yes, Page plays acoustic brilliantly, also)

grum
    Free Member

Well, I don’t particularly rate them anyway …..:)

Whether you like them or not, they’re almost certainly better musicians than you 😉

bigblackshed
    tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Don’t rate Jimmy Page very much either to be fair( good showman to be fair), oh and by the way, I do like them, I just don’t rate their ability particularly highly and frankly they aren’t certainly better musicians than me,I work on a daily basis with world class musicians and session players who can play them into the ground without breaking a sweat, though I suppose for rock/pop musicians they are better than average. 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

MDF with holes drilled in it, zipties through holes holding pedals, rubber feet to stop it sliding everywhere, put it in a Maplins metal briefcase:

Total cost ~ £30.00

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Don’t rate Jimmy Page very much either…

So you’d see yourself as a better player?

Lifer
    Free Member

Links to your work tadeuszkrieger?

Money/mouth

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Never said I was better than Page, just that I think he’s overrated……:) as for providing links to my work, I know where I’m coming from and frankly can’t be bothered, and why should I give my work name up ? I don’t intend to use it here as I quite like my anonymity thanks 🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

Snigger…..I too am a professional musician-Matt Bellamy is a bloody amazing guitarist, so too is Jimmy Page. Sure there are a lot of amazing session players out there who are very good too but calling Matt Bellamy ‘better than average for pop’ is just a bit daft.

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai both use pretty big pedal board setups. A guy I know called Dave Ital who is a session player uses a very nice effects setup. Pat Metheny-imo one of the best jazz guitarists alive also uses effects….

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Never said I was better than Page, just that I think he’s overrated…..

You said:

Don’t rate Jimmy Page very much

That’s not saying that other people over-rate him; it’s saying that you personally don’t rate him. So what do you mean by that? Do you think he’s average? Nothing unusual? Unskilled? Where does his playing fall short, by your estimations?

Lifer
    Free Member

tadeuszkrieger – Member
    Never said I was better than Page, just that I think he’s overrated……:) as for providing links to my work, I know where I’m coming from and frankly can’t be bothered, and why should I give my work name up ? I don’t intend to use it here as I quite like my anonymity thanks

Input discounted, let’s move on.

D28boy
    Free Member

Don’t rate Jimmy Page ? You must be some musician or an idiot !

plumber
    Free Member

Well I never expected this response from the masses so thank you all.

I have been shopping and will post up when I’m done.

Ta

Plum

‘tadeuszkrieger’ has a point I think, there are many better guitarists out there professional or not than Jimmy Page, however, they haven’t written some of the best known songs of the rock era and that is the bit that counts

(though I don’t really like Led Zeppelin myself, I aknowledge the influence and joy they have brought to many peoples lives)

plumber
    Free Member

Try playing for a few days without any fx,not even reverb or tone controls….. just a straight line through the amp, and for the first few hours, you’ll sound s**t, simply because the fx make you lazy and sloppy,you’ll then actually have to start playing properly to sound any good.

I have no issues putting myself up for judgement

guitar – cable – JTM1 – no FX/VERB/SAFETY NET 😀

oh – some drive right at the end – forgot about that oops

Three_Fish
    Free Member

‘tadeuszkrieger’ has a point I think, there are many better guitarists out there professional or not than Jimmy Page

Thing is: there aren’t. There’s no such thing as best/worst/whatever; but for crying out loud, whether you like what he did or not, Page is one of the most important and influential guitarist/musicians in modern music. His ability is no longer open for question; he proved himself fifty years ago as possibly the most prominent session player around and then as composer of dozens of massively important songs. His playing has influenced/inspired entire genres of music. If you can’t hear why he’s such a highly regarded and hugely respected player, that’s a reflection on your ears, not his playing.

D28boy
    Free Member

Thing is: there aren’t. There’s no such thing as best/worst/whatever; but for crying out loud, whether you like what he did or not, Page is one of the most important and influential guitarist/musicians in modern music. His ability is no longer open for question; he proved himself fifty years ago as possibly the most prominent session player around and then as composer of dozens of massively important songs. His playing has influenced/inspired entire genres of music. If you can’t hear why he’s such a highly regarded and hugely respected player, that’s a reflection on your ears, not his playing.

what I said but expressed better

plumber
    Free Member

‘tadeuszkrieger’ has a point I think, there are many better guitarists out there professional or not than Jimmy Page

Well done with your selective quoting, now if you read my post properly you will see that we actually agree

Regards

Plum

PS of course there are better guitarist than (insert name here), Jimmy Page is a better guitarist than me for example but I’m a better guitarist than the guy I was jamming with last night. Its not a value judgement its just a fact

chipps

As usual I’m a bit late to this. Sorry, I don’t get time to read the forum very often!

I play pop stuff and need a bunch of different sounds, so I’m happy to hit behind a ton of effects. (Besides, I’m not very good either…)

Current pedalboard:

And this is in a Swan Cases pedalboard flightcase. Weighs a ton! (Sorry the lights aren’t on. It’s very pretty too…

Previous pedalboard:

I do have a ‘blues’ pedalboard (a bit of MDF with four or five FX on) too.

racefaceec90

i only have 1 pedal (to change between 2 channels on my mustang 1 amp).i hide behind effects also (am still crap 😉

jimster
    Free Member

Do you have to let the energy companies know when you are going to fire that lot up Chipps? 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

never had a pedal board or effect in 35 years of playing and i’m still crap.

brassneck

I play pop stuff and need a bunch of different sounds, so I’m happy to hit behind a ton of effects. (Besides, I’m not very good either…)

judging by that pedal board you must be RUBBISH 😀

I like to see a TC Electronic fetishist in action – very nice setup – are those weird cables you make yourself, really thin things? – I have a bunch of those on my board, but I didn’t really notice a great increase in longevity (which was what I was hoping for)

I still mainly use an original POD with the 4 channel switch and expression pedal as a wah .. plus a couple of BOSS flangers / delays for various specific songs. What I find very irritating is that if you play a lot of diffrent venues you end up needing pedals to make an acoustic sound passable.

emsz
    Free Member

I sort Of understand where Tadz’s coming from. I Play an acoustic pretty much 99% of the time, But I can play my dads electric with a wah wah and an octave thingy and I sound like jimi Hendrix!!

D28boy
    Free Member

When he was alive or now?

chipps

Brassneck, yes, they’re George-L’s patch cables. Very thin and flexible and I used them so that I could cram all those sends and returns into the back of the TC. They don’t get moved very often, so I can’t comment on their longevity, but so far they’ve been fine. And I always carry a spare length of cable in case one goes down.

I forgot that I have a couple of other pedals not in shot – there’s a BOSS looper and a Morpheus Droptune that I use purely for one song where there’s an Ab9. I could learn it in another position, but it sounds so good in open position, that I cheat and detune the whole guitar with the pedal. I’m also using the TC to change channels on my amp, which helps save on more pedals. Not that you’d know from the pictures!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

In a moment of old thread ressurection…

I’ve been looking round for something for my largly BOSS collection of pedals to live in and was looking at the BCB-60. Then I found the Behringer PB600 which it pretty much the same as the BCB-60. A browse around the interweb finds that CPC sell the PB600 for £63:60 delivered! Seeing as my pedal PSU blew up earlier this week, seemed rude not to take a punt on the behringer at that price.

I wouldn’t say that the PB600 (or BCB-60) are really ‘gig tough’, but for home it looks ideal.

Should be delivered today, will give an update when I’ve fiddled about with it.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If anyone’s interested, I’ve been home for a while and had a chance to set the PB600 up.

Initial impressions – it’s made of plastic (I knew it was) so it’s a bit ‘plastic’, but not in a bad way and everything seems to fit in nice & snugly.

Untitled by gary_foulger, on Flickr
    It’s quite a big box it’s packaged in

It comes with patch cables, daisy chain power lead, a PSU and the worlds shortest instruction manual (1 sheet on A4 paper, but it’s all you need really) together with a big weighty Behringer brochure.

The thin panel is removable so you can tuck all the cables away neatly

…and when it’s finished it does the job really quite efficiently

The pedals all stay in place nice & securely and they don’t slip when used.

All in all a pretty decent bit of kit for the money

Apologies for the crappy phone pictures!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Guitarist content – pedalboard – what do you use?’ is closed to new replies.