Guitar strings and tuner

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Guitar strings and tuner
  • hammy7272

Planning to dust my acoustic off and get playing again.

Any recommendations for good value strings to get going again? Also I would be after an electronic tuner.

Any good online tutorials. I used to play grade 6 at school on classical. I like mellow stuff and a few chords just to relax and enjoy the sound.

Any tips of getting back into it would be appreciated.

Edukator

Assuming it’s steel strung then Martin custom light 11- 52. Any heavier and bends become impossible for my fingers. I’m using 10-46 electric stings on my acoustic at present so it can be played like an electric but the intonation on the G string is obvioulsy miles out.

Think of a tune you like and there’ll probably be a Youtube tuto or better stil the original artist playing it live.

hammy7272

Great thanks, yes steel. Any good online shops?

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

YouTube is the obvious starting point as there literally millions of tutors on there. Most are free too so that’s a great way of starting out.

Strings, I use 11-50 bronze wound from d’addario and that’s a nice compromise between feel and sound.

Tuner, plenty of them but you can get Apps on your phone that are pretty good, most are free with the inevitable Adverts. Or buy a sonic tuner that doesn’t require sound, it works on vibration pitch £15 from any decent music store.

Premier Icon metcalt
    Subscriber

I’ve recently done the same thing, I’ve found watching Andy Guitar and Marty Schwartz good for tutorials and getting back into it. Otherwise searching for the song you like followed by tutorial on YouTube usually brings up a few results, or as Edukator says finding a video of the artist playing live is great.

I picked up a cheap tuner from Gear4music, one of their own brand ones. Think it was around a fiver and other than a little hesitation in picking up the top E string works pretty well. String wise (assuming steel) I like D’Addario Bronze Custom lights (11-52, Purple Packet), usually around £8.

I also found that just picking it up each day has helped me greatly, if I’ve just put something in the oven I’ll try take the time waiting for it to sit at the kitchen table and practice or if I’ve got a spare ten minutes I’ll just go through a couple of songs I know.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

just get some midweight strings and a guitar tuner app on your phone

hammy7272

Nice one. Great tips. What would mid weight be please?

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

11-50’s or 12-52’s

anywhere around there.

Have a look on the packets, most have the words “light/med/heavy” on them and thereafter it’s more what the brand wants to proclaim or coatings etc.

Premier Icon ajantom
    Subscriber

Martin Silk and Steel are my go to acoustic strings. Lovely tone, and quite easy on the fingers compared to some other strings.

11-47 would be a good set to start off with…
    https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/sets-c865/acoustic-guitar-c33/martin-silk-steel-m130-folk-acoustic-guitar-strings-11-5-47-gauge-p260

Edukator

Here’s what an acoustic sounds like with 9-52 strings. The solo in G at 1:33 is slightly speeded up because no amount of vibrato stops notes on an acoustic dying fast. The Am noodling at the end doesn’t realy work without a second guitar providing backing. It’s based on Noel gallaghers performance for Irish TV in about 94. The solo is taken from an Oasis concert in Scotland with some help from these tabs
    https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/oasis/live_forever_tabs_170939

I’ve used Am throughout rather than Am7 which I don’t like the sound of

mariner

Best tip I found is buy a guitar stand don’t keep it out of site in a case.
    That way you can just pick it up whenever you have a few minutes and do make it a rule for a minimum of 15 minutes practise every day. It easily turns into longer once your fret fingers can stand it.

Do try a tuner first or read some reviews. I have a cheap one that came with my acoustic but impossible to read the screen on a sunny day.

ji

Get an app on your phone for a tuner, and get Songterr app as well – loads of really good music of all types, with tab and real music options often as well. Makes learning that complex solo a bit easier!

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

You may not be able to afford a Martin guitar, but if you stretch a little you might be able to afford Martin strings, and they are worth it IME. Get 11s.

I have a Snark tuner which is very nice and quite reliable since you clip it on, and it reads vibrations from the guitar rather than through the air so is less sensitive to position, but I rarely use it. I get better results and gain more understanding doing it by ear.

Ed – you need to work on your rhythm 🙂

AdamT

Gstrings app on phone for a tuner and +1 for songsterr. Has basic chords and also more complex tab that it can play back to you at variable speed.

Premier Icon joelowden
    Subscriber

I use the Pano tuner app . It’s excellent.
    I use d’addario exp 16’s which, although expensive, last a long time.

For a tuner I use a Snark which clips onto the headstock. Keep it on the guitar and get into the habit of using it every day before you play.
    For strings I use Martin Acoustic SP phosphor bronze mediums which are 0.13 to 0.56. Martin catalogue number MSP 4200. You can get a three pack online for about £20.00. If you play every day change them at least once a month to every six weeks. I dont have a gorilla grip but I find mediums are easier to get hold of and fret cleanly and they also have better tone than lights. but if you are starting out then go for lights and work up as you gain strength.

Justinguitar on youtube is a good place to start. Try to avoid jumping between youtube tutors as you will only get you confused. For paid lessons Trufire are good. Or if you have some favourite songs or pieces you want to learn find a youtube instructor that explains the arrangement and also provides the tab. Someone like Lick and Riff is good.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

A metronome would be a fine xmas present! 😆 need to make that click swing!

And, dare I say it, tuning. Either that or the guitar neck is a bit out. 🙂

Snark +1. Left on guitar doesn’t get lost

Jakester

I use Planet Waves NS Micro tuners – they cope with both guitar and bass and seem pretty accurate to me (compared directly with a pedal tuner for reference). Nice and small, and don’t fall off like the Snarks etc do (at least, did with me!). Only problem is on some headstocks you may find it difficult to find somewhere to put it – on two Fender-style electrics, it was no problem, and a Yamaha bass, but I struggled to get one to sit properly on my Warwick bass owing to the carved volute.

mikey74

The Fender tuning app is the best I’ve found so far.

hammy7272

Great advice. Thanks I like the simple idea of having it out in a stand.

Edukator

Either that or the guitar neck is a bit out.

That’s what happens when when you put thin strings on an acoustic. The scale length needs increasing far more than you can achieve by changing the bridge. E, A, and D are OK on intonation. G is a country mile out because it’s plain steel rather than wound, so I tuned it on the fifth fret which makes it a little bit out elsewhere but the best I can do. B and E get a bit higher as you go up the neck. It’s not an issue if you play only chords but here the solo is all above the 12th fret.

The rhythm on the first verse isn’t great but I think I’m in the groove by the second. Check out the electric version to a backing track on the other thread.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.