Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • guilt free E bike, for a big un?
  • ton

looking for a full sus e bike, for weekend fun.

at present i ride between 100-140 miles a week commuting. when the weekend comes i am fubar to be honest.

i dont feel like going out for a mtb ride.

so i thought, buy a e bike, just to use for pure fun on a weekend.

some thing big and burly and fun.

any idea’s appreciated.

i might add, i dont like the look of the kenevo thing, but love the look of the cube e bikes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No guilt.

Focus Jam2 would be what I’d look at. 2018 range is solid, and their Jam suspension is excellent.

Battle of the e-MTBs: Focus Jam2 VS Specialized Turbo Levo

Have just seen some of their 2019 stuff which looks even better!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Commute on the e-bike?

For guilt free you would of course need your own clean power gen for charging it 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

Sounds like you want a Kenevo 😂 but if you really don’t like them, as above, Focus….

Bregante

Scott e-genius 920 looks like it would be a giggle

Tracey

We demoed the Kenevo and the Turbo Levo in Finale last year and decided that the Kenevo was too much bike for most of the stuff that we wanted to ride in the UK so bought a Levo Expert for the four of us to share.

Its been so much fun and is capable in all we have wanted it for.

Its been that good after finding a good deal we bought another this afternoon.

The guys at Bike Verbier were raving about Orange ones they were using when we were with them a couple of weeks ago

oldtennisshoes

Turbo Levo Expert here too – fantastic bit of kit!

davosaurusrex

Vitus E-Sommet.  Burly, bargain, great spec and geometry

seosamh77
    Free Member

seems the levo punts out about 650watts in turbo

escrs
    Free Member

Had a Levo Expert for a year and liked it alot

Now have a Kenevo and love it! such a nicer ride than the Levo, complete overkill for most of the UK but it can handle downhill and XC no problems, found my Levo a little short on travel for me in places like BPW and a few downhill places i ride

The Kenevo is a bit more forgiving

A couple of people in my group have Focus Sam2’s

Seem like great bikes, double battery set up for longer rides, 170mm of travel

One of the most important things about an e-bike is getting the right dealer, some are terrible and clueless if you have an issue, others are great, very knowledgeable and offer a same day service on repairs/motor swaps etc…..

Once you decide on what brand of e-bike you want then research the best dealers, i do a 100 mile round trip to mine as he is regarded as the Levo/Kenevo king

bikenski
    Free Member

Cube stereo 160 – handles everything that technical alpine rides can throw at it. Rides a little more like a ‘normal’ bike than the Kenevo (according to friends who have tried both).

singlespeedstu

Another vote for the Kenevo.

Being able to ride a 180mm travel bike uphill as quick as I can ride an light weight XC hardtail is just brilliant.

With all the weight and that much travel the grip it seems to generate is an eye opener, both downhill and techy climbs too.

lowey

I demo’d 3 at Ard Rock. Haibike, Spesh Levo and a Pivot Shuttle.

The Pivot was far and away the best all round package IMO. Not cheap, but brilliant.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jam2 Drifter.

None of the photos do this justice, the blue is STUNNING in the flesh.

ton

focus jam is grabbing my attention. i like the idea of 2 batteries for longer rides.

trying to find somewhere i can get a test ride on one.

anyone know anywhere?

and that looks nice Flash

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ton, my LBS has them (as well as Levo/Kenevo) in, but it’s in that there South, and I’m not sure if your vaccinations are up to date!

The Drifter is a 2019 so not in the shops yet (I think!).

doomanic

I like the look of the Fantic 180mm travel bikes. The 630Wh battery is good too.

You won’t go wrong with a Kenevo though.

jamj1974

Ton.  You’ve paid your dues and then some.  No guilt needed.

scotroutes

Commute on the e-bike?

+1

kayak23

The Jam 2 is a great bike.

I borrow my mates one now and again. Took it for a long spin in the Long Mynd recently. The ability to add a second battery is very valuable I think. I can’t imagine a single battery having enough range, especially if you’re heavier and ride in a hilly area.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M9qNM9]Focus Sam ebike. Stiperstones[/url] by kayak23, on Flickr

Not sure where you live Ton, but if it’s anywhere near Warwickshire then you’re welcome to have a razz….on my mates bike. 😁

forge197
    Free Member

Firstly should be no guilt using an e-bike 😂 it’s still riding, it’s different riding for sure, it still burns calories and gets the heart rate up and more importantly gets you on the trails and fresh air.

I’ve done three different demos now across, Trek, Haibike, Lapierre and Cube.

Most enjoyable has been the Cube really got on with this bike the SL160 most fun of those I rode overall.  Also preferred the Bosch motor over Yamaha I tried.

Should add really is worth demoing a few as they do all feel quite different in terms of handling, any draggy that can be felt, and what they feel like when it switches off power over the max speed, and power modulation for slower bits and hill starts.

DickBarton

Why guilt free? It is a bike and you are riding it…shouldn’t have any guilt about that.

ryder
    Free Member

I have an e-genius 710 for sale with less than 300 miles on the clock. Not sure if allowed to post links to ads but it is on ebay and the EMTB forum site. Would be willing to talk price on the EMTB site as no commission to pay. It is up at £3500

johnstell

No guilt, just more altitude and kilometres in less time. 30k’s and 1000m of climbing in less than 2 hours… not a problem. Keeping up with your fresh mates when you’ve got nothing left, also no problem. If you just want to get out and not work for it you won’t enjoy.

I think the trick is being to modulate the assist, as too much takes the victory away.

Go and enjoy guilt free but keep your regular bike too.

outdoorsnapper

No guilt. You still have to pedal any (legal) e-bike, and I’ve still found myself gasping at tops of tough climbs – the difference being I have ridden them in one go rather than several bites at the cherry.
    I’ve had a Cube Stereo Pro 140 on loan for a few weeks (for more see upcoming editions of Outdoor Enthusiast and Totally Active). It rides well but the design creates several mud-trap areas. Lacks a dropper post but of course you can add one. I personally find the motor noise annoying particularly when riding solo.

Might be worth renting one for a day to see how you get on? Grizedale Mountain Bikes has Spesh Levo’s. My better half rented one for a ride round Hodge Close and Grizedale and it was excellent – and impressively silent!

chipster

Tony, I’m toying with the idea of going electric, for my 60th, next year.

It looks like our nearest Focus dealer is Cyclesense in Tadcaster. Or Evans.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on. 👍

joebristol

Is it not also worth considering an e-bike for a commuter to ease the legs during the week and then ride a normal bike for mtb? Might work out cheaper that way as commuter e-bikes seems generally cheaper than e-gnarpoons which seem to cost many thousands of pounds.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Or consider just going full ebike,it is an amazing thing just riding it every day of the week!

Tracey

Tony

It may well be worth the drive to JE James in Rotherham as I’ve never seen as many different brands under one roof.

They couldn’t sort us out this time with another Levo as they were out of stock in my size and Specialized didn’t have any more

Had to drive to Halifax in my lunch break to get one in the size I needed.

welshfarmer

One of my riding buddies has a Moustache (bike not facial hair) and not only does it look great, but it rides fantastic. Nice colour too. This is the bike my mate rode every inch of the way up the Llanberis path on Snowdon, including the steep bit after the railway bridge!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You say that as if it’s an achievement but with electric assistance it really isn’t .

seosamh77
    Free Member

You say that as if it’s an achievement but with electric assistance it really isn’t .

perhaps not, but I bet it was blinking fun! 😆

singlespeedstu

So there’s no skill involved in riding up steep stuff if you have a motor then?

geex
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter either way Stu.
    The guy achieved his goal. therefore it was HIS “achievement”
    Aint no one gonna take that away from him.
    Especially not some random keyboard stabber from STW

Oh… christ… I’m only procrastinating on here because I’m missing my broken Ebike.
    I’m off out to attempt a 1/2 mile manual on my 4X bike and probably walk back up the hill.
    Wish me luck, it’s pretty windy out

I rode up a hill I’ve never cleaned before on Saturday, with electric assistance. It was fun.

I rode out of the top grinning, rather than gasping for breath, sweating and depleting energy for the interesting bits of the ride

takisawa2

Go for it Ton. They look a right laugh.

ton

got a trek powerfly booked for a day, from wheelbase.

trying to find a focus to test ride is proving hard.

fancying a cube 160mm thing deepdown

Tracey

Should be a few to demo here

https://www.jejamescycles.com/cyclefest

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘guilt free E bike, for a big un?’ is closed to new replies.