Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Guiding companies: Do you engage in trail maintenance?
  • Spin
    Free Member

This occurred to me today when I saw a company advertising guided trips on the classic Torridon loop, a piece of trail that is really starting to show the strain of increased use.

Given that the business relies on the trails and the use of them leads to increased wear and tear do guiding operations have a moral responsibility to engage with trail maintenance?

Not pointing a finger here, just curious about views although my own feeling is yes they do.

matt_outandabout

As a CI at an outdoor centre, I took this seriously (as did most of my colleagues) for all the sports we did. Not just trail/path/bank damage, but just being a good neighbour.
    We would avoid areas prone to damage, use a variety of venues, look after ‘our’ venues with steps or paths or even throwing some grass seed down in one instance. Spreading load was more effective than trying to get sorted on maintenance. Our gorge walking path ‘moved’ each year. The staff tried to use different locations for walks/camps/games.

Biking wise, our centre that did a lot did have staff that went out on some dig days in staff time, but they mainly used 7-stanes or our own property. We also went out with National Trust and our DofE volunteers on a good few mountain paths (our main damage load) each year and did works such as repair, improving drainage and tree planting.

shifter
    Free Member

Interesting question. I assume in the Alps there’s a cut of the lift pass that goes to the trails, like a % goes to piste bashing in winter. Outside the lift areas? No idea, though I suspect that as they’re trying to attract biking tourists the local taxes will contribute.

nasher
    Free Member

My guiding company is in Italy, but I spend roughly 5 months and approx 6k euros building and maintaining trails.. Many other guiding companies do the same

However some areas/countries are quite relaxed about trail work, other areas can be incredibly strict on what you can/cannot do..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ady @ riviera bike certainly does, needs to keep a good relationship with the local hunters.

grum
    Free Member

Just been out with Switchbacks in Malaga and they said they do regular trail maintenance/building/clearing.

The local DH riders were very friendly which suggests they’ve got a good relationship.

Spin
    Free Member

All very heartening responses.

grum
    Free Member

Surprised to hear about the Torridon loop getting knackered – we never saw a soul when we were up there.

Spin
    Free Member

Not knackered but definitely showing the increased usage.

montgomery
    Free Member

Interesting question, one I’ve pondered myself (but more from the viewpoint of whether guidebook writers/publishers contribute a share of their profits towards mitigating against the sometimes vastly increased footfall/wheel traffic they generate).

Spin
    Free Member

of whether guidebook writers/publishers contribute a share of their profits towards mitigating against the sometimes vastly increased footfall/wheel traffic they generate).

I believe many do.

chakaping
    Free Member

definitely showing the increased usage.

Would you mind expanding on this?

scotroutes

At least one guiding company has been leading trail repairs on that loop in Torridon. However, like many trails, it has now developed a certain “honeypot” status so it’s too expected that it will deteriorate.

km79
    Free Member

In a similar vain, I’ve always wondered if coaching/guiding companies need to pay a separate fee to take clients out to the likes of Glentress as opposed to just the parking fee? Due to them involved in a commercial activity.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Given that the business relies on the trails and the use of them leads to increased wear and tear do guiding operations have a moral responsibility to engage with trail maintenance?

as a boring pedant I would point out that most maintenance will come under CDM2015 and that you need to identify the key post holders and write a Construction Phase Plan before they lift a spade

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Guiding companies: Do you engage in trail maintenance?’ is closed to new replies.