Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Guided trips in Italy
  • lucky7500

It’s already the time of year when I, and probably everyone else, start attempting to book trips for next year. I quite fancy somewhere in Italy this time and am looking for recommendations, ideally for guided weeks. I hear a lot about Finale obviously, and Lake Garda sounds very interesting but beyond that I’m open to ideas.

zomersetglider

Depends on what sort of riding you are after.

If you like a day riding relatively quiet steep techy fast singletrack, rarely climbing and hanging out in a Land Rover Defender, eating pasta, pasta, pizza, and pasta, swimming in the Med afterwards and drinking beer….Finale Ligure would tick the box.

The guys at Finale Freeride look after you, their guides are chilled out, top riders with a good level of relaxed guiding & pleasant company

I’ve heard the Dolomites are good.

Aosta on the Italian side of the Alps is supposed to be very good, thinking of getting out there next summer.

lucky7500

If you like a day riding relatively quiet steep techy fast singletrack, rarely climbing and hanging out in a Land Rover Defender, eating pasta, pasta, pizza, and pasta, swimming in the Med afterwards and drinking beer

I do like the sound of that a lot, but slightly perversely to a lot of people, I do enjoy a bit of climbing as well. Particularly if it means getting to different trails, scenery etc. Ultimately I just like riding but do like a bit of variety.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alpin
    Free Member

Canazei/val di Fassa. Good lift network and plenty of climbing up to me natural trails. A few days with the lift and a few days pedaling up.

Pila/la Thuile also very good. Also lots ots of big mountains.

Finale is also great. Lots of shuttle companies, but you can also find some big all day rides without them. Added bonus of there being the beach.

Lake Garda is a bit of a German mecca … Trails are generally steep and rocky. Not really what I would call flow. Generally quite technical.

Vinschgau and /or Bozen is a good bet, too. Some lifts, some shuttle companies. The area at the end of the valley around Reschen is top.

alpin
    Free Member

Or a bit left field.. . Apuane Alps in Tuscany. Ridgeline is a British run company there. Big back country days plus shuttle runs.

GolfChick
    Free Member

We did rivierabike and a place called molini. It’s not a Million miles away from finale. The riding was fab, technically challenging and fast and fun at the same time. I didn’t like the church bells constantly and I’m a light sleeper so that meant I didn’t sleep in very much. I also didn’t like the way they handled our varied group, yes it was a mixed group with lots of couples so I sort of understood why they thought it would be okay for us to ride together. However, once they ascertained my level wasn’t the same as theirs then I feel something should of been differently. As it was there was lots of waiting and we didn’t do some trails because of the skills gap. However I don’t think that would affect or bother other people so I’d still recommend.

alpin
    Free Member

As it was there was lots of waiting and we didn’t do some trails because of the skills gap.

This is exactly why I try to avoid riding in groups. I prefer to ride alone or with people that I know can keep up with each other.

Saying that I’ve worked as a guide and know what it is like to have a vastly mixed ability group …. Half of them are bored and the other half are run ragged, tired and stressed about trying to keep up. That’s usually when accidents happen.

lucky7500

Thanks all, lots of interesting ideas to think about in there!

Golfchick, I often travel alone and skill level is something that I worry about so it’s always good to have first hand experience.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

you could do finale, take an uplift at 0930 then pedal for a bit , linking trails, down to the village again for a 2:30 uplift and the more schralping and shredding. you get a damn good workout and loads of descending

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Guided trips in Italy’ is closed to new replies.