Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Guide RSC Vs CODE RSC levers: any difference?
  • Stevelol
    Free Member

As title, I have Code Rs, they’re fine, but I want RSC levers.

Are the Guide levers different to the Code ones, or is it just branding on the lever? I know the calipers are different.

razorrazoo

Code R / Guide R are different (bigger reservoir) so I imaging the RSC versions are different too.  Guide Es are a  code calliper and guide lever so they’ll work. I’d want the code lever as the Guide ones don’t handle long DH runs well.

mboy
    Free Member

Quite a bit bigger master cylinder on the Codes compared to the Guide for better heat management. Guide levers work (Guide RE is an old Code Caliper with a Guide R lever) and dish out enough power, but won’t cope with heat management as well due to smaller fluid capacity.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Cheers

walleater

I’ve got G2 RSCs one one bike and my other bike came with Code R brakes. I don’t like the ‘wooden’ feel of the Code R brakes so rebuilt an abandoned set of Guide RSC levers. They work totally fine for Squamish riding and that’s the ‘Mountain Bike Capital Of The Ultrametaverse’, or something, so they should be fine anywhere else 😉 Although in all seriousness we don’t have the sustained braking that the likes of the Alps has. My G2 RSC were fine in Whistler Bike Park though, and even with rotors going blue / black they didn’t fade significantly. I always thought the larger reservoir was more to do with dealing with brake pads wear as the Code pistons are bigger, so more fluid will get displaced from the master cylinder when the pads wear down. I tend to do a lever bleed quite often anyway so a non-issue for me.
    I do run a 220mm front rotor on both my bikes which will also help with heat management though. Also more than enough power for creeping down the steep slabs that we have here.

razorrazoo

There is something materially different in the levers between Codes and Guides which enable Codes to cope better with longer descents / longer braking / heat build up.  My previous Guides were fine until I got to the Alps and the rear packed up until it cooled down (and I replaced with some Codes) – I took to a number of shops (same response from all) as thought it would be a bleed, but was told it was a common issue out there due to the lever internals not being able to cope.  If you’re just riding in the UK / cooler temps though I’m sure they’ll be fine.

walleater

I might be being pedantic, but the lever internals are the same:

Code RSC / Guide RSC / Guide Ultimate Lever Internals Kit – 2nd Generation

The Code caliper should run a little cooler though due to its size (and pad size), and the system will use a little more oil due to the Code reservoir.

binman

If you swap Code RSCs levers for Code Rs then you can unbolt the old ones and slip the new ones on without cutting the olive / hose off.

If you go for Guides, you will have to cut the olive off and change the rubber cover

Note that the Code and Guide hose fittings are different at the caliper end.

b33k34

Note that the Code and Guide hose fittings are different at the caliper end.

Edit. misread this as lever end, not calliper end).

the rubber isn’t essential, and annoyingly is different on the guide to the G2 as well

binman

the rubber isn’t essential, and annoyingly is different on the guide to the G2 as well

You are really messing with people’s OCD here 😁

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Guide RSC Vs CODE RSC levers: any difference?’ is closed to new replies.