• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by chip.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Guide for 30t on 1×10
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

So I was waiting for hopes new chain device but as with most of these buggers its minimum 32t. Just waiting to hear from them to see if I can get away with it, if not can anyone recommend something for me or am I facing a future of moving up a couple of teeth?

ISCG 05 btw.

gringo

MrP AMG any good? Goes down to 28T

iain1775
    Free Member

Race face or on one 30t narrow wide and a clutch mech?
    Shop around and probably a similar price to a chain guide

darrenspink
    Free Member

Yeah got a on one 30t. Maybe I should look at a clutch mech or even a zee. Chain only seems to come when I jumping on lowest sprocket.

iain1775
    Free Member

XT clutch mech £40 at Ribble
    Or £35 at on one if your happy with long cage (see separate thread)

CalamityJames
    Free Member

E13 XCX have two size options, the smaller goes down to 30t. Top only guide though, but that is usually sufficient.

bumper
    Free Member

I used a hope finger chain guide on the 29er with a 30t. Worked a treat, stuck a bash on too which made it 100% safe.

andyjh

Got a Raceface 30t n/w and x9 clutch mech on mine and it’s not dropped a chain once yet 🙂 Been running this setup for at least 4 months and covered approx 300 miles of varied trails including a weekend at Afan. Wouldn’t bother with the guide and get a clutch mech would by my suggestion.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Ta chaps. Have my eye on a zee short mech now tbh. Seems ot will the same job as a xt clutch. Tell me if im wrong (if not drunk).

Saying that, might buy a hope trex in the future.

kimbers

fwiw raceface narrow wide didnt hold my chain as well as the superstar one

clutchmech helps loads and on my hardtail its fine, on my full suss i need a chain device, was using amn mrp 1x but wasnt quite right as it only officially works for 32t

in the end got a 32 n/w and a 40t expander clutch mech with rad cage- prefecto!

robarnold
    Free Member

Wolftooth 30t ring with Zee mech and 11-36 XT cassette here.

My bike has ISCG05 tabs and also has a direct mount front mech plate. I use the E13 XCX direct mount top guide that easily goes down to 30t. In fact it would cover the chain ring better were it not for the chainring spider not being so prominent and the guide having to clear it (XT M775 cranks) I dare say with a direct mount chainring like the new RaceFace offerings you could run the guide with a 28t also.

Never dropped a chain on a ride using this set up for over a year, I race the local downhill series on the same bike and fit a DMR lower guide for that extra bit of security but it’s for peace of mind more than anything else.

Hope that helps

darrenspink
    Free Member

Thats mate that does.

philxx1975
    Free Member

I was after a narrow wide ring from that UK co but couldn’t get one just ordered a hammerschmidt as it seems NW is a bit of a solution with the same problem, a lot still complain they’re losing their chains and the one company’s product that doesn’t suffer this ,you cant actually buy it

Road bikes are so much less troublesome, does make you wonder why the cash gets spent on mtb.

continuity
    Free Member

A hammerschmidt?

That’s like the worst solution ever?

chip
    Free Member

I am running 1×10 with a 34t ramped middle ring up front with xt shadow plus mech on my supposed parts bin winter bike.
    I have a few standard rings knocking about that I wanted to use up rather than fit a narrow wide.

Superstar and moove bikes were both showing no stock of there cheap seat tube mounted guides so made up something myself as a quick fix using a DMR (I think) clamp thingymajig £3 from CRC and an old bolt found in a drawer and a nylock nut.

Works a treat so I will just leave it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Guide for 30t on 1×10’ is closed to new replies.