Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Guards on a bike without mounts (Endurace CF)
  • submarined

Yup, another winter thread…

I bought an Endurace CF Disc a few months ago, ticked all the boxes, but I conveniently ignored all the advice people gave me about getting a bike with guard mounts. Because I wanted the Endurace.

Within 2 weeks of starting to commute, I’m now rueing that decision.
    So, what is there available in terms of guards that will fit the bike? I’m not too bothered about the front, but I’d like a less damp arse.
    Crud Mk3s have been suggested?
    The bike has no mounts, no bridges, square stays, and a bolt through rear, so, errr, simple.
    Any suggestions appreciated!

wildc4rd

I really like the Widget Components clip on’s. I use them on my Contend winter bike.

Paul@RTW

Crud’s “o’ring on / zip tie on” guards, whatever they are called work ok on my Cube and Allez, neither of which have much clearance or dedicated mounts. They rub a bit sometimes but the ‘yank and release’ trick usually settles them back to silent running…ish.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Always found Cruds decent on my road bikes, easy to fit and do the job.

Much prefer SKS Raceblades to Crud. The Pro version looks like the one you want.

http://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/raceblade-pro

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

Raceblade Pro

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

What tyres? If it’s 25mm I’d go with Raceblade longs rather than raceblades, much more coverage, but still not as good as chrompastics or bluemels.

If it were me, and there was enough room around the front mech I’d fit proper chromoplastics using p-clips and/or zip ties. You can attach them to the fork by putting one big zip tie around the leg just above the dropout, then a small one through that and the mudguard clip.

Hated crud’s. There’s good reason my every good mudguard looks the same, and Crud’s look different.

Premier Icon TiRed
    Subscriber

n+1.

Raceblade Long if there is a brake bridge.

Will you ignore advice here too?

APF

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

Raceblade Long if there is a brake bridge.

There’s a clue in the OP 😉

The bike has no mounts, no bridges, square stays, and a bolt through rear, so, errr, simple.

damascus

This idea is a bit left field but…….

Has anyone tried making some eyelets with sugru yet and running normal mudguards?

No idea if it works but I’ve used sugru for a lot of stuff recently and been really impressed with how resilient it is.

It’s either an inspired suggestion or the fumes have gone to my head. I’ve got eyelets otherwise I’d test it 🙂

Saccades

Crud MK3, worked well last winter, took 5 mins to dust off the shelf and refit this winter.

Premier Icon TiRed
    Subscriber

n+1 then it is! Or something attached to the seat tube.

It’s why I have TWO cross bikes, one turned into a very nice to ride winter bike with mudguards, the other errrr, stayed as a cross bike.

submarined

Sorry, lack of updates. Thanks for all the advice people, much appreciated. Raceblade Pro XLs ordered (via a process of ‘stab a finger at a screen and see which one it chooses’)
    Unfortunately N+1 can’t kick in here. Specifically because the Endurace replaced a road bike that had mounts. That I just sold 😮 and replaced with another MTB.

Will report back on ease of fit and effectiveness. Looking forward to lack of skunk tail.

mattsccm

Thread about this a week or two ago featuring a Pickenflick.
    I use p clips at the back and at the front the SKS brackets that use the QR skewer on one side and a bit of Mechano to the brake caliper
    r bolt on the other. 3M Velcro under the fork and on the guard.
    Race blades etc and not much use. They do not drop low enough to really keep your feet dry and at the back to keep your mates dry. SKS better and they need extending to.

submarined

Update: Well, they’ve ruined how my bike looks, but the rear is great. Front, however, not the best. Projection behind the fork is good, stopping a lot of the gumph from the road hitting my legs and feet. However, as soon as I pick up speed the front wheel just flings it out of the front of the forks. I’m guessing there isn’t really a solution to this? Half tempted to play about with an RRP type ‘fender’ on the front. It can’t look any worse than it already does.
    It also doesn’t fit the chunky carbon forks very well. Hmph Maybe I should make a hybrid with a front from another set.

wait4me

Be very careful using clip on guards if you’ve got a carbon frame. Found this out the hard way, and I’m far from the only one who’s had a trip to the carbon frame repair shop because of them.

submarined

Do tell? Caught in the wheel and spun round?

wait4me

No. They rub. I put protective pads on the frame but didn’t notice when the black pad on the black seat stay next to the black guard fell off. Took them off in spring to find hole in frame. Also heard of them doing same to the underside of the fork. As I say, be wary. I bought a Boardman CX for this winter. So all’s well that ends well!

nerd

Would using some biketape / helitape under the mount stop this? Or would it rub through the tape then the frame?

Endurace – nice bike! I have the non-disc version from 3 years ago. Haven’t ridden much due to 2 children arriving in that time, but when I do get to ride it I think “this is the nicest bike I’ve ever ridden” 🙂

submarined

There’s plenty of high quality helitape on the frame, I’m not concerned about that 🙂

Yeah, it’s a lovely bike, so comfy and the perfect road all rounder for my inflexible middle aged physique!

submarined

Right, the rear one is great.
    The front, in the other hand, is shite. I suspect mostly due to not being able to fit properly on the chunky forks.
    I appreciate it’ll be a faff when taking the wheel of, but does anyone know if there are eyelet type brackets available that slip between hub and dropout? I’ve got a plan for the top mounting.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Guards on a bike without mounts (Endurace CF)’ is closed to new replies.