Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • GT Karakorum – what do I like about it?
  • ThePilot
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of mtbs. HT and FS – both alu – and I like them both. But there’s just something about my 1990ish GT Karakorum. I never ride it off road anymore – it’s rigid – just onroad but there’s just something about the frame that I love. Is this the fabled steel ‘twang’ I’ve read about? And if so what modern frame would be similar/better? Cheers in advance.

juiced
    Free Member

i like gt geomtry. Mine feel pretty compact with nice short rear ends. Probably a result of their bmx background. They may have been a nibble responsive ride at a time when many were producing great big things.Also have low bb’s. Look at frame shapes now and maybe there’s your clue 🙂

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Is it the orange and yellow one? If it is, it’s shite and I’ll take it off your hands…

ThePilot
    Free Member

Cheers juiced, yeah, maybe it’s the geo rather than the material used. Dunno, good point though.

Yep, bullandbladder, it is. No need to take it off my hands though but thanks for the offer.

st

Orange and yellow, that’s a ’92 isn’t it? I had a ’91 in splatter red which was repalced by a black version of the ’93 which was nicked.

Loved them both.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My brothers 94/95 Tequesta was awesome. Until some scrote nicked it. Liked my Zaskar too… got a bit of a soft spot for mid 90s GTs.

Moses

I still like my 96-97 dark blue splatter Karakorum, which replaced the pale blue Tequestea that was nicked. Mrs M rides it around town these days, it’s comfy and fun. It’s got Mary bars rather than the original bullhorns, though

st

Early 90’s GTs were my thing, the second Karakorum was as fancy as I got while all my mates seemed to be getting Zaskars (gits). As a kid I think I even shed a tear when my Dad told me it had been nicked off the back of the car while he was packing for our Summer jollies.

That was replaced with a custom powder coated and chromed Marin Pine Mountain which I though was ace to start with but was ultimately never as good as the GT.

MtbRoutes

Something like this?

organic355
    Free Member

|I had one of these that was nicked too 🙁

bigyinn
    Free Member

I had a lovely ’96 Zaskar LE which was trashed when some sill driver knocked me off it. Still miss it and its lying in my mums garage for the last 10 years.

lunge

I still want for a Xixang, though i would take a Zaskar instead.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

My Karakoram was my most favourite bike ever (although could be because I owned in my teens when summers were sunny and work involved shoving a few newspapers through letterboxes!).

Anyone got one for sale? 😉 (like the one in organics pic)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My brother had just spent a lot of time and energy recreating his 1993 GT Tequesta

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149955&sid=7f9c4153c3e7d8cd2957a8ff126e76df

binners

I’m in the process of getting rid of my 199-something GT Timberline Singlespeed. I’ve not riddden it for months and I need the room. Yet somehow I can’t quite bring myself to do it. Don’t know what it is about it, but I love it!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Binners: It isnt by any chance a 97 in Ice Titanium is it?

I used to have one and it got nicked. I want one back now!

binners

Its a 1998 i think. Reynolds 525. It was a tatty burgundy colour when i bought it. So I nitromorsed it and had it powder-coated black. Its retro-tastic with Pace RC36’s on. I love it, but its going to have to go. I’ve just got more bikes than room at the moment

Interested?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘GT Karakorum – what do I like about it?’ is closed to new replies.