• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • GT Jump – Street/Jump bike on trails?
  • Earl
    Free Member

How does a street/slopstyle/jump bike handle on trails? (easy blue)

My daughter has taken a fancy to this one. Size wise the top tube would be at the higher end of what she would use for a trail bike. And its a 26″ wheel.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/2016/bikes/mtbmx/bump-26

kraken2345
    Free Member

It’ll be able to do it but won’t be as enjoyable as an xc hardtail etc. Jump bikes are made strong and heavy which is great from a durability standpoint but they’re a bit pig ish when riding longer distances. The other thing is that it’s hard to tell from the pictures but a lot of cheaper dj’s that come with gears have horizontal dropouts which make using a derailleur an annoying endeavour.

If it’s more trail centre routes that she’ll be doing then in my opinion getting a more well rounded bike, maybe with hydraulic discs rather than mechanical which can easily be found for a similar price, that’s a more jack of all trades option is better. How old is she?

A more rounded hardtail would still be good for smaller jumps/drops in skills area etc and be a lot easier going/more fun on blue and up xc type stuff. The one area I can’t really advise is on alternatives as I haven’t been in the entry level hardtail market for 3-4 years but my first xc hardtail did everything from grizedale paths to pyrenees lift assisted dh resort runs with some upgrades over the years. Biggest I ever went on it was a 30ft jump, maybe 10ft high to flat by which point I moved onto a full suss.

tthew

Cheap coil spring fork. Though you don’t say, assuming your daughter is young and light it won’t move much as it’ll be designed for someone quite a lot heavier.

tomhoward

It’ll be awful.

Heavy, forks waaay too stiff, harsh ride, saddle will be shit for more than a 10 min pootle. Tyres won’t be much cop on anything other than bone dry hardpack, huge chainring so she struggle on climbs.

Get her a mountain bike, not a jump bike. Unless she wants a jump bike to learn jumps on..

Earl
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

I didn’t realise heavy heavy strong were the main features of that type of bike. I was only looking at the ett and head angle (69deg) measurements and they looked acceptable. My daughter was only looking at the colour!

I take here riding Bristol AC and FOD every couple of weeks in the summer. Otherwise its riding to school or a few miles around the harbour. Hence I wondered if she could get away with a non-dedicated xc bike.

I’ll continue my search – but like a few have found on here 13/14″ bikes/frames are not widely available.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘GT Jump – Street/Jump bike on trails?’ is closed to new replies.