Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • GT Grade Flat Bar – convert to drops?
  • dai3015
    Free Member

I’ve currently got a GT Grade flat bar Road bike (read hybrid!) and am interested to know how easy it would be to convert it to a drop bar version?
    It’s got a triple Sora set up with hydraulic discs. I was thinking that it would just be a case of finding some compatible triple version STIs and some decent drop brakes – something like BB7 or TRP spyres and some drop bars. Is that it?
    How easy is this to do? I’m happy doing most mechanicals on my Mondraker hardtail, but have never ventured into the murky world of drop bars before
    What sort of cost am I looking at?
    Or is it easier to sell up and get a gravel type road bike – but I’m pretty sure that I dont want canti brakes
    Thanks

joemmo
    Free Member

You’ll also need a full set of cables and bar tape, possibly a stem too if the one you have isn’t suitable.

It’s not a particularly tricky job but you need to make sure the STIs are compatible as you’ve said, you might need a front mech too if yours is MTB spec. The only tricky bit is routeing the cables to minimise the bend along the bar and wrapping the bar tape.

Cost wise… I dunno, upwards of £100 but you could save by doing some canny buying second hand of you’re not aiming for a deluxe build

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘GT Grade Flat Bar – convert to drops?’ is closed to new replies.