Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Grumpy roadies
  • dingabell
    Free Member

I know I’ll probably annoy just about everyone who’s ever ridden on tarmac, but what is it with grumpy roadies? It may be just me, but whenever you pass any mountain bikers and say hello, you nearly always get a cheery smile and a hello back. Most will even stop for a chat. Whenever a group of lycra clad, tour de france wannabees comes screaming past they look at you as if you’re a mud spattered alien who isn’t fit to clean their racing shoes. I’m sure there are some cheerful roadie types out there, but in general they don’t even seem to be enjoying themselves very much. Is road biking all about training and getting from A-B as quickly as possible? Come on roadies. We’re on the same side really. Give us a smile.

RealMan
    Free Member

oldgit
    Free Member

Is road biking all about training and getting from A-B as quickly as possible

Yes 8)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Must just be you. All the roadies I meet are friendly and give a nod of the head/wave if they aren’t dying of exhaustion.

druidh
    Free Member

A grumpy roadie earlier today…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh dear Druidh is bound to get lambasted soon you’ve spoilt it for those that can’t keep away from their ‘puters!! DOH!

richc
    Free Member

normally grumpy as they are killing themselves, not obessing about cake.

Pooley
    Free Member

Nice one druidh. He can’t even look happy, when he’s happy!

Dougal
    Free Member

SPOILERS SPOILERS!!!! GRRRR!!! ETC!!!!! HAHA!!!

It’s July, there are loads of over-serious mamils out at the moment, great for evening training when you’re feeling a bit rubbish. Come August the bikes will be back in the shed.

uplink
    Free Member

You should see Evans when he’s not just won a stage 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Griepel has a face you want to punch!

oldgit
    Free Member

Just been chatting with a club mate about his new training programe sent by his coach. And about the squad we’re racing Thursday in preparation for a big race on the 8th August. So yes that’s what we do. First and foremost road bikes are for racing. But you can just ride them if you want.

But sure it’s sometimes hard to wave and smile back when you’re concentrating on keeping a number two from making a bid for freedom after a particulary hard session 😯

ahwiles
    Free Member

consider a normal pothole.

if you’re riding a mountain bike it’s just a bumpy bit of road you ride over.

if you’re riding a road bike it means certain death.

consequently, roadies can’t always wave back. even if they want to. they’re rather busy avoiding a painful death.

and it’s very hard to smile when you’re busy avoiding a painful death.

or so i find…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP, I am guessing that roadies have correctly identified you as a bell end.

kilo

A grumpy roadie earlier today…

Well done, one very grumpy roadie here now.

donsimon
    Free Member

We’re on the same side really.

Some of your mtb mates would disagree.
    I think you’ll find that most roadies do acknowledge your existence, you simply haven’t developed the ability to see it. 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

i acknowledge most mtb,ers wehn im out on my roadie bike, so (what they think in their heads is another thing = why is that woman roadie smiling at me (lol)…. they just dont know im an MTB,er too….im disguised on my roadie bike….. by the time ive whizzed past the MTB,ERS they,re thinking ::: “oh crikey thats elaine anne the green flash of the orange bike” (normally)…lol 😉 :mrgreen: 😉 :mrgreen: 8) 😆 😛 :mrgreen:

michaelmcc
    Free Member

]

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Seriously. Why does this have to come up so often.

A few things to say about it. But you are really that needy that you need people to say hi back to you?

I do wave or say hi to most bikers, doesn’t matter if im on the road or mtb. Sometimes when i’m on the road bike, i’m just too tired from my spin to notice or care about other riders, i just want to get home and eat. Other times i might be trying to stick in a high effort zone and concentrating too much to care about others as well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

When out on my MTB and I see roadies they all look grumpy and ignore me. Last weekend out on a road bike they all acknowledged me even tho I was not in the uniform of team / club kit and helmet.

It really was quite obvious.

I of course just scowled at everyone as usual

antigee

boring, deadening, dull, tedious, tiresome, wearisome

fattatlasses
    Free Member

They’re only jealous ‘cos the latest mountain bikes are technologically superior to their twiglet bikes 😉

Coleman
    Free Member

Boring. Done to death. If I see you on the road I will verbally abuse you.

elaineanne
    Free Member

you’d better not verbally abuse me….i,ll be forced to use my stinger on you…lol 😉 :mrgreen:

Squidlord
    Free Member

Would it be simpler for everyone if the mods just stickied this thread? Instead of someone having to start it every. single. day.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Some people don’t want to say hello/wave regardless of what they are doing, they’re just naturally grumpy buggers 😆

sc-xc

Someone waved at me the other day. I didn’t recognise him so didn’t wave back.

aP
    Free Member

I much prefer the typical Peaslake DHer welcome to road cyclists – “Here come the **** roadies. ****”
    Much better than being ignored by someone whilst actually riding.

elaineanne
    Free Member

we all need to carry a mr bean on board with us sticking the thumbs up hello sign..lol mite brighten the grumpys up alittle (mr bean life size cardboard cut out.. 😉

dingabell
    Free Member

Ok, we’ll put this to bed now. This is the first time I’ve ever been on this forum so didn’t realise it was such a common topic. It was just an observation of something which happens nearly every time we go out. I get the point. Too busy trying not to die in potholes to nod your head. Fair enough. It’s a good job all mountain bikers ride down glassy smooth tracks or no one would give anyone the time of day. Nuf said. I’ll try to not wind anyone up next time.

Haze

Why are people so bothered about this?!

steve_b77
    Free Member

dingabell – Member
    Ok, we’ll put this to bed now. This is the first time I’ve ever been on this forum

Cracking opening gambit there then dingdong 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

dingabell – dinae worry laddie. a lot of sensitive souls on here and especially the grumpy roadie ones tend to be a bit sensitive

qwerty
    Free Member

Read BIKE SNOB and all will be revealed to you regarding the various specimens of cyclist that lurk on a saddle 😉

Pieface

I was running today and said hi to a MTBer who blanked me.

pedalhead
    Free Member

thanks for the spoiler, druidh 🙄

elaineanne
    Free Member

i said hi to two donkeys whilst MTB-ing…guess what :they were more than happy to say hello 😉 :mrgreen: then one of them got abit jelous of the other and tried to bite my tyre through the fence… 👿 😉 :mrgreen:

dingabell
    Free Member

I forgot to mention that this doesn’t include the majority of girlie roadies. They seem to be far happier on their bikes. So maybe it’s just a “bloke” thing.

partyboy
    Free Member

Cynic-al hit the nail on the head.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Grumpy roadies’ is closed to new replies.