GRRRRRRRRR Still fecked off with my garmin! Will not connect to my laptop!

Home Forum Chat Forum GRRRRRRRRR Still fecked off with my garmin! Will not connect to my laptop!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • GRRRRRRRRR Still fecked off with my garmin! Will not connect to my laptop!
  • snaps

Which model Garmin? I had to use device manager on my PC before my Oregon would work properly & it stiil shows up on my drives list as Garmin mass storage device (I think the PC just see's the Oregons memory card)

racing_ralph

garmin etrex vista (b+w) version not colour.

Helios

Is the programme you're running looking for the right com port? Mine used to look for the Garmin on every port it could think of except the right one…

gusamc

mmm

my settings are
    Manufacturer: Garmin
    Mode: Serial
    Port: COM1 (presumably you would use 4 but why not try 1)

Wapoint Name Length: 8, Points per track: 500, waypoints per rout: 100

Digimap

It's a serial device. If your PC has a serial port then put the USB adapter lead away and use the serial cable that came with the GPS. If you don't have a serial port then you MUST install the USB adapter driver. Some USB adapters work (prolific U232, pfranc, garmin), some don't.

Now go to the Garmin website and do a firmware update. Garmin use a pretty resilient app to do this and it will tell you which COM port you are connected to. If the garmin firmware updater can't work it out then you have bigger problems.

Now you know the GPS is configured OK and you know the COM port. Enter these into your mapping software and disco. If you are using TrackLogs then download 3.14 beta as it automates all the GPS settings. If you are using something else then shame on you, ask them instead.

duckers

What version of Windows are you using
    What softwrae are you trying to use your eTrex with?

racing_ralph

Bought a USB cable so no silly connector with a serial end to contend with. Followed the instructions to the letter. STILL TIMING OUT!

Baud rate is set at 9600 on both the GPS and Com port, everything is "as it should be"
    COM port is com port 4, nowt else running (com port 3 is taken by something)

HELP before it gets launched on to monsal viaduct!

racing_ralph

Windows xp and memorymap

duckers

Start memory map, under the "GPS" menu option select "GPS Setup", then configure as necessary…. asDigimap says try using USB and serial.

If you are using Memory Map all you should need to do is go to GPS>GPSSetup and make sure Garmin & USB are highlighted, in the top two boxes. That's all.

Premier Icon gazman
    Subscriber

eff me i`m having same probs with mine do you need to have memory map to use gps? mine is etrex h and i have not tried using it since january cos it got on my well you know what i means, gaz

racing_ralph

#
    Duckers – Member

Start memory map, under the "GPS" menu option select "GPS Setup", then configure as necessary…. asDigimap says try using USB and serial.
    Posted 45 minutes ago # Report-Post
    #
    ChatsworthMusters – Member

If you are using Memory Map all you should need to do is go to GPS>GPSSetup and make sure Garmin & USB are highlighted, in the top two boxes. That's all.
    Posted 37 minutes ago # Report-Post

fellas i know that – it is a com port problem.
    The settings are as follows on both the comport and memory map (the garmin is set to "GARMIN" mode)

gusamc

Hi

??? you're using USB aren't you so shouldn't you use a USB port and set Mode to USB ??

Mine works as above with serial cable on com port 1.

Smee

Have downloaded and installed the usb drivers from garmins site?

racing_ralph

no to the usb thing – the usb cable is a serial to usb converter all in one

But looking at that you've got it set wrong. On the GPSSetup screen you are showing Garmin and serial. You should use the drop down menu and choose USB. That will grey out the COM port box. At least it does on mine.

Edit, posts crossed. Just try setting it as USB, you never know what might happen!!!

racing_ralph

i do – **** all – it does not work as a USB device

clubber

No it definitely needs to be set to serial on the old ones. The garmin cable is just an integrated USB to serial convertor.

Drop me an email and I'll email you the driver that worked for mine.

gusamc

Suggest finding friendly local with working setup and seeing which bit of yours is broken – ie does the cable definitely work ??

Why not use a serial cable – they seem to work ??

racing_ralph

i do not have a serial port on my laptop.
    The current cable is fresh out the box today
    the other 2 do not work also – looking like a problem with unit or laptop

boblo

Coupla extra points to watch:

My Etrex H has a 3 digit waypoint name limit. If the limit is set to more than this in the GPS settings in MM, it screws the transfer up. Not sure what the limit is in your model? The GPS settings limit in MM should be the set to the same number.

I presume you're licensed? GPS->GPS Settings->License Without licensing, I don't think you can transfer data?

boblo

FWIW, I couldn't get my serial/USB converter working either so I reverted to an old lap top with a pukka serial port. Might have another go with one of the drivers recommended here.

racing_ralph

memory map is the only legit software on this laptop!!

Have you registered Memory Map? I don't think it will work until you do.

racing_ralph

what does it say before your post dude?

uplink

Have you tried what digimap up there suggested?

Go to the Gamin site & try to update the unit – it will figure out what connections you have [if you have a valid connection]
    You can then write these down & set MM to the same

racing_ralph

it won't connect to garmin updater

uplink

What does it have under com port in Device Manager?

racing_ralph

firmware update failed as it can't find the unit

mattsccm

sometime I have the same problem. I was told that USB adaptors can create a "virtual " com port. Mine ran on 99!!!!
    I ran a driver and all was fine . Having said that I have 2 adaptors. Both work perfectly on other devices but 1 will not work on the Etrex although it copes with my 72. Try another cable

what does it say before your post dude?

Doesn't say you've registered it. I was sympathetic at first, now I just think you're a pillock.

clubber

Guys, I'll repeat. For the old units even the official garmin cable is basically a USB to serial convertor with a serial cable connected but it's all in one piece. Usually the USB plug is bigger than normal. . If you plug the USB cable into the computer without the gps attached you'll see that xp sees something connected – the USB serial convertor. This is what the driver is needed for.

Mine's exactly the same as ngee and works but took some playing around to sort it out.

racing_ralph

what did you do in the "playing around"?

BTW chatsworthmuster – i may be a pillock but at least i know the convention for entering a phone number!!

clubber

Playing around = drivers and working out which Serial/com port the converter was registered as.

racing_ralph

done that afaik 🙁

druidh

Are you using the right Serial/USB adapter driver? Going by the screenshot, that's the Prolific driver you seem to be using, but what make/chipset is the adapter?

racing_ralph

its the driver that came with the cable

Junkyard

CHange of track here
    Can your computer communicate with the gps outside of memory map?
    Try that instead.
    Start menu>Programs>accessories>communication>Hyper terminal
    prog opens
    Drop dowm nemu choose port for device (comm1 etc) this then greys out the phone number>click ok

Does it find the GPS if not using all port choices something physically is (probably) not working and possibly you?

Hope this helps

If yes (launch memory map/Close hyperterminal (reverse order not sure which if it matters) attempt to connect now.
    If not no idea sorry.

You wanna buy a GPS60…? Its very nice.. and its yellow..
    😀

racing_ralph

hyperterminal did not work – grr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘GRRRRRRRRR Still fecked off with my garmin! Will not connect to my laptop!’ is closed to new replies.