Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Grrr. Stupid signs/street furniture in cycle lane.
  • midlifecrashes

Streetview linky

My son managed to clatter into this stupid sign in the middle of the cycle lane this morning and then hit the deck. Don’t know if he was drafting his big sister too closely and not seen her chain gang type hand signal or whether he just wobbled a bit too close to it. Mashed the end of his finger and the nail will be coming off, messed up his second day at new school.

It’s always annoyed me that one, as if you pass to the right of it, you’re supposedly in the pedestrian side of a divided path, pass the other side and the lamp post is a bit close for comfort. Anyway, how about posting pics of even stoopider cycle facilities?

bencooper
    Free Member

Things like that all over the place in Glasgow. One thing that impressed me in Wales recently was that the council used offset signs a lot – the two poles were off to the side of the path, with a cranked arm to hold the sign above the path.

scotroutes

TBH I’m more concerned that those Union Jacks Flags aren’t the right way up!!

Edit: and you do know that publicising your kids route to school on the internet is just asking for some thief to come along and steal them? You’ll be spending the rest of your week in Cash Converters trying to track them down.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Plenty of “cafe this, cafe that” signs in cycle lanes in Lunnjon…
    Clouted one with my ankle early on, youch.

Oh and “builder boards” them red/yellow things they stick over paths, roads, lanes, anywhere they feel…

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Sorry for your lad. Heads-up next time, though, eh?

It’s not a cycle lane. In fact it doesn’t even look like it’s a continuation of the Segregated Shared-Used Path right there… Sign refers to the bus lane in the road.

Still, it’s a dumb place to put a sign. See Warrington Cycle Campaign for many many more bad examples of what not to do with street furniture and/or cycle lanes.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Thankfully cycle lanes don’t exist in the FoD but when I have come across them with mobile signs in them I throw the signs off the cycleway.

lemonysam
    Free Member
    gazc
    Free Member

lots of posts like that on a cycle path near me – proper slalom to get through them! unfortunately trafficky type engineering CAD monkeys will just plop them wherever on a plan without any consideration of the people who use them, not helped by site fitters on site who stick em wherever the plan says without hesitation/thought of questioning it

ormondroyd
    Free Member

The sign should simply say “you’re about to hit a dull grey pole”

midlifecrashes

Lech Walesa says “Who are you calling dull?”

franksinatra

That Warrington Cycle Campaign site is brilliant! Look at this gem in Derbyshire

stgeorge

Sorry he’s hurt and it is a strange place for a sign, but it’ll teach him to look where he’s going, hopefully.

(Could have been a small child and associated face he knocked into the road!)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Grrr. Stupid signs/street furniture in cycle lane.’ is closed to new replies.