Viewing 8 posts - 521 through 528 (of 528 total)
  • Grouse moor licencing, Scotland.
  • Premier Icon tjagain

Fair enough dissonance – I really was just trying to get away from ” all shooting baaaad” and to remember nuance with this

Where my parents used to live was a small pheasant shoot.  they planted and maintained tree cover.

Deer need to be culled.

Driven grouse moors are indefensible

.  Its not all purely black and white

Premier Icon IdleJon

I’m still trying to make sense of this, having been a casual birdwatcher all my life and never having seen 50 raptors in a week, never mind a morning:

Feeding my pheasants this morning, I saw probably 50 individual raptors including a hen sparrowhawk and a kestrel.

So, not counting kestrels or sparrowhawks we have 48 more raptors, but he rules out:

We have upwards of 70 kites here during silaging as well as multiple pairs of resident buzzards and kites. Literally dozens of tawny owls, 6 pairs of barn owls, kestrels, sparrowhawks, long eared owls, little owls, visits from the local town’s pair of perigrine’s, Ravens and an occasional Merlin and Hobby passing through.

What were these other 48 raptors? Ospreys? 😀

Premier Icon dissonance

Deer need to be culled.

Deer are also a tricky case. Since some estates deliberately do their best to boost the numbers beyond the natural carrying capability in order to ensure that their clients get to shoot something.
    Plus there is the rabid opposition to reintroducing natural predators which would also help control their numbers.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

That twitter link from Crosshair which is allegedly “science”

The posts are made by a Jo Madden, apparently linked in some way to Exeter University.  Can anyone prove that’s a real link, google was throwing up a Joanne/Joah Madden in the psychology department.

Premier Icon DougD

The posts are made by a Jo Madden, apparently linked in some way to Exeter University. Can anyone prove that’s a real link, google was throwing up a Joanne/Joah Madden in the psychology department.

“Joah Madden is an Associate Professor in the School of Psychology, working in the Centre for Research in Animal Behaviour” from here: Dr Joah Madden

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

Cheers Doug, that looks more credible.  His website looks like it was built by me whilst drunk.

Good news from the National Trust

Premier Icon CountZero

I’ve been lucky enough to see red kites fly over my house and I’m on the edge of Aberdeen.

Walking down my road last week there was a red kite circling over the houses just down from where I live. My late g/f used to get quite excited if she saw it (almost certainly the same bird) flying over the gardens across the road from me.

They’re still not very common around these parts yet, it’s taken them some time to spread across from Berkshire and Oxfordshire where they were part of the reintroduction, and native birds from Wales are now spreading across the Severn because there’s so many of them over there now. I’ve seen one around Bath, and around the Avebury area.
    Ravens are more common, I regularly see them around where I work in Westbury, and there’s a lot of open countryside around the estate, and I’ve seen a kite around there as well.
    There’s a pair of Peregrines about too, haven’t seen them lately, but I’m pretty sure they’re about, judging by the carcasses they’ve left in the storage area I look after – not foxes, I’d see them about and we have a palisade security fence all round, and one kill took place in daylight, I think while I was having my lunch, because the dead bird was lying in the open between two rows of cars where I’d been earlier, missing it’s head, and with fresh blood around it.

The next day the remains were left on the roof of a car, a few bones and feathers!

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
Viewing 8 posts - 521 through 528 (of 528 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.