Groupset trickledown

Home Forum Bike Forum Groupset trickledown

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Groupset trickledown
  • shermer75

It seems to happen pretty quick these days, maybe next year?

Mister P

The normal Shimano cycle would mean that 11 speed 105 would be 2015 product, launch mid 2014.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

can anyone tell me how/why this is an improvement?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

1 louder innit.

boxfish

One faster than 10 speed innit

Rorschach

You get 16 in the 11-25 or you can have an 11-25….with an emergency 28 tacked on top.

whatnobeer

I’ve been running 11 speed campag for about 3 years. The only real improvement is you have a tighter block cassette, so smaller jumps between the cogs. Or you could run a wider cassette than normal (say 12-25 instead of 12-23) and have the extra cog fill in the extra space.

eyerideit

Well I’ve got nine speed so it’d be two faster/betterer for me – innit.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

binners: my thoughts exactly.

it’ll just mean ‘one more click to get to the gear you want’

redted

The biggest gripe for me is that it requires a dedicated 11sp freehub body, not great when you think how many people have shelled out for pairs of trick aftermarket wheels in recent years. I can see road disc brakes being slow to catch on too for this reason too.

clubber

redted – I’ll bet that most bikes are bought complete which means that the issue of existing wheels is a non-issue…

It might well mean though that you don’t see them on the road racing circuit in the UK as much as the sportive/recreational one though.

it’ll just mean ‘one more click to get to the gear you want’

Or it’ll have exactly the same gaps but a wider range. whether that’s useful depends on what/how you ride.

eyerideit

Shimano have announced Ultegra 11spd, so how long do you reckon it’ll take until we see 11spd 105?

Edric 64

So my 7 speed cross bike is out of date then ?

The biggest gripe for me is that it requires a dedicated 11sp freehub body, not great when you think how many people have shelled out for pairs of trick aftermarket wheels in recent years. I can see road disc brakes being slow to catch on too for this reason too.

Yea, but they’re roadies, anyone buying £2k wheels isn’t going to moan about £1k goupsets.

eyerideit

If you think it is, it is. Doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks does it?

Mister P

From my understanding the new freehub body is the same size as a Campag 11. So if those trick wheels can be converted between Shimano 10 and Campag then there is more than likely a Shimano 11 body that will fit. I know this is true for DT Swiss 240 and 350 based stuff.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Edric 64 – Member

No just other options are available, part of me is interested in a bigger range cassette but not in bigger jumps between teeth.

aP

But the current Campag free hub takes 9, 10 & 11 speed cassettes and has been around since 1997.
    I’ve got a set of wheels that started with 9 speed, went to 10 in 2005 and might go to 11 next year.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Groupset trickledown’ is closed to new replies.