• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aP.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Groupset trickledown
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

Shimano have announced Ultegra 11spd, so how long do you reckon it’ll take until we see 11spd 105?

shermer75
    Free Member

It seems to happen pretty quick these days, maybe next year?

Mister-P
    Free Member

The normal Shimano cycle would mean that 11 speed 105 would be 2015 product, launch mid 2014.

ahwiles
    Free Member

can anyone tell me how/why this is an improvement?

Northwind

1 louder innit.

boxfish
    Free Member

One faster than 10 speed innit

Rorschach
    Free Member

You get 16 in the 11-25 or you can have an 11-25….with an emergency 28 tacked on top.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve been running 11 speed campag for about 3 years. The only real improvement is you have a tighter block cassette, so smaller jumps between the cogs. Or you could run a wider cassette than normal (say 12-25 instead of 12-23) and have the extra cog fill in the extra space.

binners

eyerideit
    Free Member

Well I’ve got nine speed so it’d be two faster/betterer for me – innit.

ahwiles
    Free Member

binners: my thoughts exactly.

it’ll just mean ‘one more click to get to the gear you want’

redted
    Free Member

The biggest gripe for me is that it requires a dedicated 11sp freehub body, not great when you think how many people have shelled out for pairs of trick aftermarket wheels in recent years. I can see road disc brakes being slow to catch on too for this reason too.

clubber
    Free Member

redted – I’ll bet that most bikes are bought complete which means that the issue of existing wheels is a non-issue…

It might well mean though that you don’t see them on the road racing circuit in the UK as much as the sportive/recreational one though.

it’ll just mean ‘one more click to get to the gear you want’

Or it’ll have exactly the same gaps but a wider range. whether that’s useful depends on what/how you ride.

Edric64
    Free Member

So my 7 speed cross bike is out of date then ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The biggest gripe for me is that it requires a dedicated 11sp freehub body, not great when you think how many people have shelled out for pairs of trick aftermarket wheels in recent years. I can see road disc brakes being slow to catch on too for this reason too.

Yea, but they’re roadies, anyone buying £2k wheels isn’t going to moan about £1k goupsets.

eyerideit
    Free Member

If you think it is, it is. Doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks does it?

Mister-P
    Free Member

From my understanding the new freehub body is the same size as a Campag 11. So if those trick wheels can be converted between Shimano 10 and Campag then there is more than likely a Shimano 11 body that will fit. I know this is true for DT Swiss 240 and 350 based stuff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

No just other options are available, part of me is interested in a bigger range cassette but not in bigger jumps between teeth.

aP
    Free Member

But the current Campag free hub takes 9, 10 & 11 speed cassettes and has been around since 1997.
    I’ve got a set of wheels that started with 9 speed, went to 10 in 2005 and might go to 11 next year.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Groupset trickledown’ is closed to new replies.