Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 313 total)
  • Groups riding CRANHAM WOODS
  • correctiveroger
    Free Member

I am initiating an MTB liaison group between land owners / managers and MTB groups that regularly ride in Cranham Woods, Gloucestershire. We have Cheltenham & County CC and Bigfoot MTB on board so far. If you ride with a group in this area I would really appreciate hearing from you. We are working towards ensuring that the current trail network remains ad Natural England want it closed down. Constructive dialogue is underway though and we urge riders to stay away until we have more news. Cheers.

monsteryeti
    Free Member

We ride as a 5-6 man group twice a week up there (leave it alone during the winter) we would be keen to get involved if it helped. Proper mediation is whats required, well done for bringing everyone together.

tang
    Free Member

I have ridden solo in those woods since 1985. As has my riding mate. Mail in profile so please ad to list. I live in Nailsworth now but went to school in cranham and via work know a lot of the landowners in the area.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Mmmmmm not sure this will work, I can’t see natural English nature commission being that interested tbh. That said anything is worth a try, email addy in profile. 😀

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Lookmanohands. I have contacted NE and the land agent and both agree that they are prepared to work towards a compromise. If,we show maturity, responsibility and keeness to do our bit then it’s our best chance. Better than shrugging shoulders and doing nothing.

Kieran

I ride up there both solo and as part of a group, will help in any way possible.

v666ern
    Free Member

correctiveroger – maybe worth a sign up in the royal william or the george with your contact details just to let others that arent on here know?…typical i just moved to witcombe and now they close down my trail…will have to do house stuff instead then! 🙁 🙄

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Monsteryeti – any chance you can provide me with your email address to keep you in the loop as this situation progresses?

monsteryeti
    Free Member

milesg_01 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Thanks

correctiveroger
    Free Member

A small database on rider contacts is building up nicely. As fara as I know Chelt & County CC and Bigfoot are the main MTB clubs that would ride in this area, however if you know of others, please let me know. Anyone know of the local group “hotsingletrack”?? Know any riders who are in their club??

v666ern
    Free Member

are you getting the adverts for hot singles in your area mixed up with bikes! 😆

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Unfortunate club name they have…. They are a MTB group, just need one of them to get in touch.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Maybe these large groups are the problem in Cranham not the remedy.Alot of people ride cranham from out of Gloucestershire and dont use STW.May work but you might end up with a greater ban than we have now.
    If it works whats the next thing!!You have to be a member of CC or Bigfoot to use the trails?

“I would let sleeping dogs lie.”

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Natural England have already admitted that on one hand they need to protect the area, but have a duty to encourage access to the countryside. I can assure those following this that having spoken to them and received contact from the land agent for the area that the door is not shut and it is in our interests, and their interests to find workable solutions. These solutions must account for all riders and as far as club membership goes I think that encoragement to join them might be promoted, it won’t be a necessity. The best tool we have is forming a comprehensive liaison group comprosing of both sides. On our part I need as many rider contact details as possible so I send out information relevant to riders at short notice.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

correctiveroger, I have just this month joined CC-CC and I ride in the woods most nights in the summer and once a week in the winter (unless it is a total bog as it kills the trail).

There is 4 of us that ride up their frequently and I can get details of them to you if you like?

I have been riding up there for over 15 years since I was a kid so if you need any help then my addy is my profile.

I know that MTB Swindon are regular visitors and also some Bristol and Malvern based clubs.

Loving your work by the way.

davesmate
    Free Member

I’m from MB Swindon. I’ve ridden up there with bigfoot but we’ve always steered clear of the place for club rides due to the issues surrounding access. I’m pretty sure the rest of the club will back me when I say we’ll do what we can to help.

Contact me at chris at mbswindon dot co dot uk

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Cheers to Dimmadan & Davesmate.
    Quick update on progress. Reps from Bigfoot & CC-CC meeting next week to discuss the issue and then CC-CC has its AGM on Wednesday where this issue will be brought up. Then… a site meeting with CC-CC, Bigfoot, Natural England and the Land Agent at the end of the week. I hope by then we will get a feel on how the future looks but the fact that we have got this far in such a short period is encouraging. Our rider database is still growing and soon I will send out updates via email as well as on here. Looking forward to some riding Sunday and getting away from the keyboard..!!

stroudoffroadsquad
    Free Member

I ride with a group up there, there are usually around 15 of us, get in touch if i can be of any help, cheers

jameso

Good work Roger. Keep us posted.

correctiveroger
    Free Member

stroudoffroadsquad can you please post or email me your email details so I can keep your group in the loop?

andywill

There is a small group of us that visit Cranham a few times each year. My email is, andrew at williams-net dot co dot uk

correctiveroger
    Free Member

By Friday 18th I will be able to update you on the first meeting we have with Natural England and the local land agent for Cranham Woods area. Thanks to all those informing me of their use of this area and contact details. If you are just a bunch of mates that ride there I still need at least one person in your group to give me an email address for updates. Part of our proposals for future management will probably rely on having a good contact list of local riders for effective communications. Cheers.

jameso

Hi Roger, if you mail me I’ll pass it onto the non STW-dwelling bike shop guys in Stroud. They were the guys who got the now waymarked singletrack in Randwick ok’d.

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Were the Randwich trails arranged via the National Trust?? Thanks for being a contact on things Cranham.

v666ern
    Free Member

Thanks roger add me in please bigvern52 at hotmail dot com

optimisticprime
    Free Member

There is a small group of us from Cirencester that ride there in the week or at weekends. contact monkeywright(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk I will pass on any info to the other poeple I ride with.

shaunthesheep
    Free Member

Rodger Hi

please add me to the list as I have been known to frequent these woods since 1998 on 2 wheels as well as on foot.

Keep up the good work

s.vizor@blueyonder.co.uk

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Interesting development on the trail today. A guy I know was riding the “Teachers” twisty track that goes down quite steep. He came a across an old balding chap with glasses deliberately putting branches on the track. May be the legendary Jim Bowen people keep describing there?? I think the old chap got quite a scare being cought in the act and the rider chased him to ask him what he was doing and did not get aggressive. Reply was that cyclists shouldn’t be here etc. This will be great ammunition for our liaisons as it shows dangerous occurences WILL happen unless we get this access issue sorted and agreement to ride the tracks is agreed. Meeting with Bigfoot tonight.

jameso

Were the Randwich trails arranged via the National Trust??

Hi Roger,

I’m not sure, I’ll get in touch tonight and ask. One of them works for Stroud Council planning dept so has some useful contacts but I can’t remember if he was involved at Randwick. Is it ok to pass on your email if he wants to discuss directly?

Thanks
    James

correctiveroger
    Free Member

James. Pass on my email with pleasure.
    Corrective at blueyonder dot co dot uk

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Has anyone copntact Graham Foot at Slam69 bike shop as he was the person who built the majority of the trails up in cranham.

May give you a very good sounding board. Plus he still rides up there on Sundays when he gets chance away from the shop.

Also, Shrine, Teachers, RaceTrack and The Wall are all really really wet and are cutting up something cronic at the moment. Was up there the other day for a walk with the dog and it’s turning into a winter bog.

For the sake of keeping the trail is good ish condition please consider riding elsewhere over the wet winter months.

correctiveroger
    Free Member

Dimmadan. I have popped into Slam69 and chatted with Graham so he is aware of the issues and knows I am heading up liaison. Having some best practice arrangement of staying away during the winter months is something being considered. My only objection is the frosty periods we sometimes get when the tracks are much better in the winter. Solutions and best practices need to be simple and easy for riders to interpret so may be making the woods a “no go” area for a few months in the winter is the best policy. We couldn’t enforce, but just promote to shops / clubs / riders on our contacts list.

mrmo
    Free Member

Roger, and what have been saying on club rides last couple of winters!

Goz
    Free Member

The chap seen on teachers appears to be the same fellow I bumped into in the summer of 2010, same description, he was wearing trousers… a little on the short side , sensible shoes and was carrying a newspaper delivery bag.Thought he looked a little odd and out of place.
    Also what about the issue of roofing tacks on the trails? im sure Natural england would be interested in that and the harm to wildlife.

tang
    Free Member

yup thats jim b. We have picked loads of tacks off the shrine (and a few in my tyres!)

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Ah Jim bowen is alive and well then! I think half the problem is the construction of new trails, this is what EN or worried about.

farscry
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden in Cranham once but it was excellent. It would be great to see if we can get to some sort of agreement with the landowners and Natural England.

Though my work, I have access to professional ecologists who deal with SSSIs, SACs etc regularly. If it would help, I can speak to those guys and see what the best approach might be in terms of creating sustainable trails or ensuring the existing ones aren’t detrimentally affecting the existing habitat.

Let me know.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Agree that when it is frozen up there it is more fun and less distructive than in the summer so I do ride/slide it 😆

Jim has never gone away, he just moves around the Cranham, Painswick and Birdlip woods as I see him quite often (but not since August).

I have spoken to him a few times when I have been out with some other riders and he seems really nice. Sometimes he has his dog and wife in tow and not always wearing glasses. He is retired so will normally be found up the woods mid week late morning early afternoon setting us some nice obstacles. And he drives a white car (can’t remember what) so if you see a car parked up be aware of traps on the trail.

I think the new DH additions may have increased the exposure of the “secret trails” up there and is not a good addition.
    Plus the little punks that ride it on the weekeds have no respect for XC riders and leave litter everywhere. Including a 12″ lady pleasuring device hanging off a tree branch!!!

mrmo
    Free Member

I think the new DH additions may have increased the exposure of the “secret trails” up there and is not a good addition.
    Plus the little punks that ride it on the weekeds have no respect for XC riders and leave litter

You may see this, i may see this, but to the general public we are mountain bikers. I am a little concerned that Popes wood may be brought into this discussion. To be fair if they use that as an example of how mtbers respect their environment then we haven’t a hope.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Few years ago i pick up 100s of nails of the shrine mound.Even if we get permission to ride dont think it we stop Jim might make him worse.
    Only ridden in there 5 times this year.think in the last 3 years they have got to hammered.Portway is still ok.Much more fun down the FOD and less hassle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 313 total)

The topic ‘Groups riding CRANHAM WOODS’ is closed to new replies.