• This topic has 118 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Grounding/Earthing Technology used in the Tour de France
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What if youve got plastic pipes/pushfit stuff …that wouldnt be earthed then would it?

But surely the water within the pipes would be?

mrjmt
    Free Member

tinas – have you done it? What reading do you get.
    I get the same reading whether I use a radiator or a earth in a plug socket. Trying to get to all the sockets in our house is problematic, but you think it’s worth checking?

Please stop.

Everthing that is earthed in your house is at an even potential. If it wasn’t then there would be no point in earthing anything.

Measuring an AC voltage between you and earth means nothing and I’m scared you’re going to electrocute yourself following some terrible nonsense spouted on this forum!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

tinas – have you done it? What reading do you get.
    I get the same reading whether I use a radiator or a earth in a plug socket.

The earth in the plug will be connected to the piping , hence the same reading.

Trying to get to all the sockets in our house is problematic, but you think it’s worth checking?

No idea, it was a logical deduction rather than a qualified answer.

I’m scared you’re going to electrocute yourself following some terrible nonsense spouted on this forum!

I think the average STW can deal with un plugging and plugging sonething in. Let’s not get melodramatic.

GrahamS

What if youve got plastic pipes/pushfit stuff ...that wouldnt be earthed then would it?

Any of your sinks, pipes or radiators got one of these on them?

That would be an earth clamp. Just touch that or any metal connected to it and you’re done.

mrjmt
    Free Member

What if youve got plastic pipes/pushfit stuff …that wouldnt be earthed then would it?

No, and because its not, and the plastic will be slightly capacitive, you could be building up a huge charge in your plumbing. Good lord, imagine what could happen if you’re stood on the grass naked when you turn the outside tap on!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Back in the early 1990’s I helped out a mate who started a Marketing/Sales company and he used to sell Ironisers.
    To add gravitas to his adverts he use to quote all sorts of scientific data and publish it in the advert(s). If you can remember that far back these ironisers were/are supposed ot either positively or negatively charge the air around them.

All I could see they did was gather dust effectively.

He made a small fortune selling out of the Daily Papers (Mail/Telegraph/Times etc.)

He sold bunches of Flowers too.

GrahamS

Also…

^^ This is the apostrophe key.

If you use Grave instead then your messages will look like this.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Hang on, I think I may have solved this…

Do you sleep on some cheap ‘erotic style’ polyester silk sheets?

miketually
    Free Member

Do I need directional water pipes for this to work correctly?

njee20
    Free Member

Been trying to find out what they key that isn’t an apostrophe is called!

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s a grave accent.

DrP

The trouble is, there’s a big element of “personal suggestion” in lots of “paid for” remedies.

No one (well, rarely anyone) will come in and say that the chiropractor they’re paying £40 a time for has done chuff all to help.
    Why?
    Because no one wants to admit to themselves, either knowingly or subconsciously, “gosh, I’ve been wasting £40 a week for 6 weeks, and yet am no different – aren’t I silly…”
    The same happens to a degree if you tell someone that a pill you’re giving them will make them better – they don’t want to disappoint you so will ‘lie’ and say it helped.

Of course, this effect is strongest in subjective measures – it’s pretty hard to ‘think’ your blood pressure or cholesterol lower, but if I’m feeling tired, then pay £160 for some “magical shoelaces”, I can reassure myself that I’ve now more energy.

That’s not to say that if it helps someone feel better about themselves it’s inherently a ‘bad’ thing, but the marketing (lies) behind such claims can be dangerously misleading.

DrP

treemagnet
    Free Member

Cheers GrahamS, at least I’ve learnt something today. (got to remember to avoid that one …didn’t know there was another) 🙂

If any of this helps just one person, then that’s gotta be a good thing?

I know I’m not the only one to benefit from this, good to hear it`s helping others in the biking scene and would be good to hear your comments from anyone who’s willing to check it out and test it.

Just don’t go using it with when there’s lightening about! 😉

cinnamon_girl

Of course if it was prefixed by an i the fan bois would be queuing at midnight and gushing and willy-waving on here. 😉

Oh yes, bet most of them have never been near a chiropractor but quite happy to get all vocal and shouty on a forum.

Men. 🙄

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh yes, bet most of them have never been near a chiropractor but quite happy to get all vocal and shouty on a forum.

I get quite shouty at chiropractors, if that helps?

GrahamS

Cheers GrahamS, at least I’ve learnt something today. (got to remember to avoid that one …didn’t know there was another)

There are apparently three on your keyboard.

good to hear it`s helping others

That one is also wrong. That’s an acute ´ not an apostrophe ‘ but at least it doesn’t screw up the formatting 😀

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/apostrophe.html

If any of this helps just one person, then that’s gotta be a good thing?

Agreed – especially if it saves them wasting their money on quackery 😀

ampthill

Great thread

I’d love it to be true

maybe I enjoy camping as I’m closer to ground potential….

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

it occurs to me that the health benefits of the grounding process would be significantly improved through the use of directional cables, as that would prevent any excess static electricity in the ground being absorbed back into the body.

I reckon I can see a niche marketing opportunity here – I’m off to Patent the idea right away 😆

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Erm, excuse me. I still appear to be ‘grounded’ to the lawn and can’t ‘un-ground’ myself, it’s blowing a gale, chucking it down with rain, my headache is back and now, bizzarely, my foot really hurts.

I’m now not so sure about this earthing nonsense…..

ocrider

I think I’ll get one of these grafted to my ankle. Jobs a good’un.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Anti-Static-Rubber-Prevent-Sickness/dp/B005O7VWO2/ref=pd_cp_auto_0

brakes
    Free Member

ironisers were/are supposed ot either positively or negatively charge the air around them.

All I could see they did was gather dust effectively.

my ironiser is also my wife. my dehumidifier however has an ‘ioniser’ function which claims to make dust gather and fall to the floor by firing electrons into the air. if I stand too close to it, will I get arthritis? if I put my hand near it it tingles a bit – have a I discovered the Higgs-Boson?

thepurist

I applied for a job as an Earthing practitioner but got rejected. Apparently I had too much potential…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Well, thanks a lot! Now you’ve definitely infected the entire Earth with your various joint problems. I’m never touch the Earth again unless its via a correctly oriented Diode.

jumble
    Free Member

This would explain a lot to me. I feel more and more terrible as I spend more time on the rollers. But once I get off and touch a tap then I slowly start to feel better.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This would explain a lot to me. I feel more and more terrible as I spend more time on the rollers. But once I get off and touch a tap then I slowly start to feel better.

Dehydration? I get the same effect lying on the ground for prolonged periods of time in hot weather, taps cure it then too.

thepurist

On the contrary I find that a sudden unexpected earthing after being on my bike often results in extreme, sometimes prolonged discomfort.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

This type of tap always makes me feel better

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

invisible page 4, needs earthing

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Do you think you’ve lost an electron?

Are you sure?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m positive. ….

faz083
    Free Member

i wonder if you need grounding on a trollevator?

Jamie
    Free Member

And it is free

So how do you have customers?

nealglover
    Free Member

Always nice to hear from someone with a commercial interest in Hocus pocus bullshit to find out if it really works.

Awesome.

That’ll do for me.

Scientific proof if ever any were needed 🙄

JCL
    Free Member

I just use an old electric blanket I got from a car boot with all the insulation pulled off. The results have been shocking so far.

DrP

Re standing on the grass, yeah that was passed down by father in law and from his parents etc, maybe not scientifically proven, but that doesnt mean it cant work

Is it the fact that you’re standing barefoot on the grass, or is it the fact that you’re NOT rushing back from a shite day at work, frantically stuffing food in your chops and screaming at the kid to get in the shower and stop watching tv, whilst you delete emails without reading them in case they need create more work and worry that night, whilst your headache grows and the wine looks more appealing, and the sun hasn’t brushed your skin for the past few weeks and you realise that even if you went to bed an hour ago, you still would only be getting 5 hours sleep so there’s no point going to stand on the grass bare foot as a)it’s raising and cold, and b)you may as well resign yourself to another bad nights sleep sooner rather than later….
    Perhaps it’s not what you’re doing that makes a difference, more that fact you’re in a position to do it….

DrP

drain

Loving this thread, Cheesey Feet’s posts especially! 😀

roverpig

Yes the science is junk. Small sample sizes and no properly blinded studies. But the same can be said for every study “proving” that 29ers are faster than 26″ bikes and plenty of people bought into that one.

grum
    Free Member

Haven’t read the whole thread, but OP the fact that you perceive these things to have a big effect on pain suggests to me the pain might be largely psycho-somatic in the first place. That’s not meant as a snarky comment btw. Meditation/visualisation techniques may be a big help.

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Grounding/Earthing Technology used in the Tour de France’ is closed to new replies.