Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ground / Wall anchors and chains.
  • phil5556

I want to upgrade my garage bike security. At the moment I’ve got an Oxford wall anchor and a couple of chains that we sporadically remember to lock around the bikes.

Looking for recommendations please for anchors and chains, at least Sold Secure Gold rating I think.

I want 2 separate ones for e-bikes and then another for a pair of gravel bikes.

Any offers on anything at the moment?

Cheers!

weeksy

Pragmasis.

nixie

Pragmasis Double doofer. Cheap it is not but at least you can move it with you.

z1ppy

Pragmasis Torc for me, when I bought a bigger diameter chain, it wouldn’t fit through my old kryponite ground anchor!
    Pragmasis sell chains too, though I bought an Almax chain (cheap off ebay 2nd hand).

I know the OP is probably already aware of this but many ppl bulk at the cost of this type of kit. I bought this chain and ground anchor back in 2015, the cost if you spread it out over the last 8 years (& the next 8..) has been minimal.
    Don’t stint on security

snotrag

Pragmasis.

First thing I did when I moved house was get two of these hulks securely resin/bolted into the garage slab.

Along with this chain and lock:

https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P16-x.x-SS65

Which is absolutley huge (I underestimated quite how huge!) and could be used to moor a medium sized ship.

Worth every penny.

snotrag

1 anchor per side. I installed the security first, worked out where the bikes end up, then built the bench etc round/over them.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Pragmas
    PS. In terms of physical security ( as opposed to insurance stipulations) forget about Sold Secure ratings, they’re bullshit.

sharkattack

I’ve got a Hiplok Ankr which I’m happy with. No visible bolts and is unreachable behind the bikes anyway. Can usually be had in a sale somewhere.

solarider
    Free Member

Pragmasis here too. Very robust and reassuring. Steer clear of the really thick chains as they are very heavy and inflexible to thread through bikes without causing damage or inconvenience to you. You want your set up to be easy for you to use, otherwise there will always be the temptation not to lock it every time. Much like riding carrying a helmet, the chain won’t do much good unless it is used.

As well as the metalwork itself, use location as another line of defense. If the ground anchor is hard to access, the chain is suspended above ground and swinging freely and the padlock is out of reach, it makes things doubly difficult to access with an angle grinder.

When we built the garage we sunk a ground anchor right in the corner and about 2 feet down into the concrete. Being in the corner, now that the garage is full it is really hard to get to. The chain runs across the wall and is difficult to pin down and the padlock is beefy and difficult to reach.

If you call Pragmasis, they are generally really helpful at offering advice on the most secure set up.

Coupled with strong access security, cameras, a dog, security lights, an alarm and good insurance, there isn’t much more left for me to do except pray!

ton

i got 2 of these for 10k of bikes. y anchor concreted into the floor works with em. work ace until you have to lift em.

https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P22RL-x.x-RoundLock

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Steer clear of the really thick chains as they are very heavy and inflexible to thread through bikes without causing damage or inconvenience

Agreed. Manhandling ski baggage for 4 for a 6:15 flight or unlocking 4 bikes early in the morning are two things guaranteed to put my back out.

Especially if any of the bikes have 32 spoke 26″ wheels. Bloody nightmare.

phil5556

Cheers all, I’ll get something ordered in the next couple of days.

PS. In terms of physical security ( as opposed to insurance stipulations) forget about Sold Secure ratings, they’re bullshit.

Yes it’s for insurance purposes, although with the insurance we’ve just taken I don’t think it actually stipulates they have to be chained in the garage but I thought it did. Might as well get one with a rating incase future insurance requires it.

spooky_b329

Halfords sell a half decent floor anchor, I think it’s about £35 and twice as big as it appears on the website. Cycling UK discount of course

phil5556

Sorted this out today, I know all the recommendations were for Pragmasis and BIG chains but I went for a pair of Hiplok Ankrs (largely for the ease of fitting and can be moved if I reconfigure the garage) and another couple of the Oxford chains that I already had.

The chains are as big as I’d want to regularly have to wrap around the bikes so this set up means we’ll actually lock them up.

I might move the angle grinder into the house though to not make it too easy for them!

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I’ve also got a Hiplok Ankr and matching chain.
    Must move the cordless SDS drill to somewhere less visible…..

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sorted this out today, I know all the recommendations were for Pragmasis and BIG chains but I went for a pair of Hiplok Ankrs (largely for the ease of fitting and can be moved if I reconfigure the garage) and another couple of the Oxford chains that I already had.

Wow, how utterly bizarre.

phil5556

Wow, how utterly bizarre.

OK so this comment hit home, I now have Pragmasis chains with their round lock thing 🤣

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.