Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gripshift and Shimano 10 speed compatibility?
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

Assuming that because Shimano ‘9-speed’ front shifters are compatible with ’10-speed’ stuff that I can use a gripshifter on the front mech?

Anything I need to watch out for? Looking to run 2×10 but make room for an underbar dropper post lever…

asterix
    Free Member

but why would you want to use gripshift with that – it just isn’t as good a system as the shimano trigger levers – I have done both and have worn my hands out with gripshift in muddy conditions

njee20
    Free Member

Because they’re lighter, more tolerant of gritty cables, easier to do multiple shifts, easier to shift without changing grip etc etc. It’s not really as straight forward as one being better, GS has a good following and a number of benefits.

On the OP I’d not be too sure to be honest, the 10 speed Grip Shift are indexed, unlike the old ones which had 8 clicks for the 3 positions the new ones just have 2.

If you can use a SRAM 2×10 trigger with a Shimano front mech then yes it will work, but I’m not convinced it will be perfect.

GaryLake
    Free Member

You’re both wrong, it’s so I can run a dropper post remote under the bars where the LH trigger shifter would be. I’m running 2×10 on a more winch and plumet bike, so front shifting performance is not really an issue as I’m in the bigger ring 90% of the time.

Decent access to the the dropper remote however, is more of a concern.

Anyway, because Shimano 9-speed LH shifters work with shimano 10 speed front mechs, and SRAM and Shimano 9-speed were always compatible in terms of front mechs, I assume a 9-speed LH gripshifter would work too? Not looking to buy the new 10-speed specific SRAM stuff as I suspect it won’t be compatible.

njee20
    Free Member

As you said in your OP, I was just suggesting some of the reasons folk may run Grip Shift.

Bear in mind that if you run a full width grip (or near) you will actually lose bar space with Grip Shift, you can’t run your brake levers nearly as far outboard – should be fine if you’re a 1-finger braker?

But yes, you should be fine using a 9 speed GS shifter, certainly I used one with a 10 speed road double mech and it was fine – marginally shorter throw than an MTB one, but not an issue.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Sounds cool, I was going to run a stubby grip with it, something I’m willing to compromise on if this works out. I am in fact a one finger braker too so should be fine.

Cheers!

asterix
    Free Member

Because they’re lighter, more tolerant of gritty cables, easier to do multiple shifts, easier to shift without changing grip etc etc.

OK, I’m not convinced by that – but it doesn’t matter what I think and I understand why you want the dropper post control

njee20
    Free Member

Why are you not convinced of that, most are absolute facts…

DanW
    Free Member

Nobu is a reputable seller on ebay who has 10 speed gripshift for Shimano if you decide you would like both front and rear gripshifters. Otherwise, run any 9 or 10 speed left gripshift and a trigger on the right. There is also a guy in Germany who modifies nicer looking 9 speed SRAM gripshifters to accept 10 speed Shimano mechs but I can’t find his contact details.

Hope this helps a little

DanW
    Free Member

P.S. I would also echo Njee’s comments on gripshift’s awesomeness. I would also add that the large diameter inner sections make a nice change of hand position some times while climbing

shortcut

The answer to the question is yes! Any front mechand gripshift will work.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Haven’t really thought about running the right Gripshift tbh – it’s mainly Enduro I’m thinking of and it’s interesting that Brian Lopes for example downgrades to SLX shifters as he finds himself prone to accidental double shifts on the multirelease XT and XTR ones.

Just wondering if gripshift might be a good idea in terms of maintain proper grip on the bars while shifting.

DanW
    Free Member

Accidental shifts with gripshift is an absolute myth so don’t let anyone convince you it might be a problem! 🙂

That said I don’t know how you can have trouble misshifting with xtr either like Mr lopes 😕

GaryLake
    Free Member

That said I don’t know how you can have trouble misshifting with xtr either like Mr lopes

If you’re shredding the gnar big time 😉 it’s perfectly possible to press the shifter all the way and drop two gears instead of one… SLX doesn’t have multi-release so you can only ever shift one gear.

njee20
    Free Member

That said I don’t know how you can have trouble misshifting with xtr either like Mr lopes

I do it all the time, I have to really consciously try not to double shift on my XTRs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gripshift and Shimano 10 speed compatibility?’ is closed to new replies.