Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Grips, soft and nice… i know, it’s subjective…
  • weeksy

I have used several pairs of these here Giants since getting them on my old XTC29er.

But they don’t make them any more… So looking for alternatives.

HAve a pair of these which i hate. Lizard Skins Northshore Lock-On. These were not terrible, but not great, Lizard Skins Danny Macaskill Lock-On.

So, what do i want to try next ? I like soft and compliant more than firm. I like a little give, so not too flat a profile. Diameter, i guess slightly larger than thin, but not massive fat ones.

These are likely to go on the Zwift/turbo bike for now, but in summer that bike will go outside for some commuting duties too.

SirHC

DMR Deathgrips, Specialized Enduro XL. The former is softer, the latter is a bit stiffer.

muggomagic

Fabric 50:01 magic grips are very comfortable.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

STW just did a few articles (up on the “real” bit of the site) about grips

Yak

Supercaz gripz are the comfiest lockons I have found. Not esi soft, but not bad. They don’t take tree hits well though.

transporter13
    Free Member

Odi longnecks

mark90
    Free Member

+1 Deathgrips. I run small soft with my little hands, sounds like you’d be best with large soft.

weeksy

Fabric 50:01 magic grips are very comfortable.

I think these are winning currently for purchase.

Akers

ODI Elite Pro Lock-on are the best I’ve had to date in terms of hand/arm fatigue.

honourablegeorge

+1 for Deathgrips

bungalistic
    Free Member

Gloved riding or Gloveless? I like my Deathgrips but they are not the best for riding gloveless, I have the soft thin version too. They do get better as they age mind.

The new ODI’s are supposed to be good check out Wil’s review.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Oury Lock on are the softest i have found

weeksy

Gloves, every time.

Looking at the Death Grips, i’m not feeling them, it’s them square pattern bits i don’t seem to like and they dig in…

So we’re still on Fabrics, although Ergon are looking nice too. This bike will only ever be a commuter or turbo, unless there’s a breakdown with the T130, it will never see dirt. HT/dirt are a no for me.

ajantom

Silicon Grips? ESI (or other brands) are really comfy, and whilst they’re not lock-ons they grip on the bars like poo to a blanket. Been really happy with mine over winter.

Bigmantrials

I have a set of ODI F1 Vapour on my Rigid 29er and really like them in that application, I am keen to try them on the FS bike too, but I am running Renthal Ultra Sticky push on’s at the moment.

ODI F1 Grip Review – STW

The ODI’s are push on so will require a little more effort to fit, but this does give you extra depth of rubber/foam compared to lock ons. I spray a little bit of black spray paint down the centre of the grip, push them on quickly and they have barely moved since.

PrinceJohn

ODI Longneck – in non lock-on variety.

oldfart

Lock on Odi Cross Trainer, not Ritchey foam grips for a tenner, job done 😎 As you say subjective.

Bagstard
    Free Member

As above, ODI longneck, non lock on.

russyh
    Free Member

Weeksey,
    I grabbed a handful of one of these whilst in Slam69 this week: They had a few set left at a super cheap £8.50 Nice and soft, but a little too wide for me (i like a thin grip) No annoying outside lock ring either….

https://slam69.co.uk/fabric-semi-ergo-silicone-lock-on-grips-30142-p.asp

Looked like good value, i certainly would buy a pair if i was looking for something comfortable.

fathomer

weeksy
    Looking at the Death Grips, i’m not feeling them, it’s them square pattern bits i don’t seem to like and they dig in…

The square bits go at the bottom so only your fingers should be touching them or is that what you mean? If so, fair enough but I’ve never had the issue. Oh and I’d say Deathgrips as well 🙂

weeksy

Why not then Russy 🙂 For that price, i’ll risk them and they’re on their way now 🙂

spawnofyorkshire

Joystick Binary – on offer at Blacks at the moment.
    Great grips, softer than Deathgrips. O like them both gloved and barehanded
    Otherwise the Oury’s as recommended above.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Recently picked up some Fabric slim grips for my 29er. Really happy with them.

tall_martin

Chromag wax grips on my mtb’s.

Not lock on,but comfy, soak up a bit of trail buzz and not slippy in the wet.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BTOOFLOG/on-one-half-bob-lock-on-foam-grips have a nice amount of give, they feel great over my “chewy” set of Knuckleballs.

DezB
    Free Member

Was going to offer my Death Grips cheap – they’re too fat and squashy for me! I’ve just got some replacements. But I see you’re sorted.
    (Ah, just remembered the Renthals on jr’s bike need replacing, so Death grips are not for sale, sorry 😀 )

You can have these instead

leahnp
    Free Member

+1 for ESI grips, comfy with or without gloves and there is a chance of find a matching colour for the frame.

TheGingerOne

Another vote here for ESI Grips

Kryton57

I lime ESI’s but there are a pain in the arse to get on IMO.

Anyone know of some ESI-alike lock ons e.g lightweight?

Edit – answered my own question – KCNC lockons at 47g

jedi

I’m about to try odi aire dreadlocks. Feel lush

cokie

I really like the Hope grips.
    Sticky and soft.

Crag
    Free Member

Lizard Skin Charger non lock-on.

Cheap as chips and the comfiest grips I’ve tried.

BearBack
    Free Member

. ESI’s but there are a pain in the arse to get on IMO

Did you try their recommended install? Isopropyl, slide them on, done.

I have a set on a 3rd bike now. Shredded ends but still functional

Posted for some Ergons ge1 Evo factory over deathgrip large soft for the winter bike as I want to see if I can get rid of my wrist pain on without having to actually do any physio exercises 😉
    Haven’t installed yet though but subjective reviews are favourable.

Poopscoop

@Weeksy, I have just had a pair of those turn up a couple of days ago!

I’ll go look at where I got them from. I ordered them as I can’t get the same grip as those but with only one lock on, instead of two…. Which I prefer and they DON’T make anymore! Lol

EDIT: Got them from Tredz, yes, they are in stock! £13.40…. I didn’t pay shipping and used the £5 code as I bought some other bits too!

I agree btw, excellent grips, so, so comfortable. It’s just I would prefer to buy the single ended lock on ones is all….

Kryton57

Did you try their recommended install? Isopropyl, slide them on, done.

Yes I have some high % IPA – I’m scared of pouring it all over my carbon frame though.

weeksy

Interesting poops, I’ll have a looky.

Been busy fixing both bikes after I dropped a chain on one and snapped it, along with throwing a mech and shifter in the bin on the other.

mudfish

Way Way Way best IMO is the Renthal Push on ultra tacky. (you’ll need wire and maybe glue).
    Next I’d say is the Renthal Traction lock on ultra tacky.
    They “hold” to your hands nicely and stop you needing to grip so hard

Poopscoop

weeksy

Subscriber
    Interesting poops, I’ll have a looky.

👍

weeksy

https://slam69.co.uk/fabric-semi-ergo-silicone-lock-on-grips-30142-p.asp

These arrived quickly and well packaged so most happy.

Feel great. Also like the 3mm Allen head bolt instead of the weird 2.5 many use.

Will test them tomorrow on Zwift, but yeah, I’m liking the feel up to now

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Grips, soft and nice… i know, it’s subjective…’ is closed to new replies.