Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Grips for Wee/Mac Ride
  • legend
    Free Member

Was out with the wee man in his WeeRide on Monday and before too long his hands were absolutely freezing. No surprise given is was 9 degrees, cold wind and he wasn’t for wearing his mitts*. However he was also holding onto the bars, that were also absolutely freezing so no wonder his hands were a funny colour. I see that MacRide sell (foam?) grips, but was wondering if anyone here had bodged something? They would be on a fatter area of the bar than grips normally are, so not sure what would wrap around. Maybe just slice a grip open and cable-tie in place with the opening facing away?

*Massive Blenki/GW fan. (Need to find some mitts/gloves for a 16month old that allow him to actually hold things and keep wind off)

sweaman2
    Free Member

I just wrapped some road tape around the bars in the appropriate area.

beagle
    Free Member

Carbon bars don’t get as cold.  Excuse for the other half right there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    legend
    Free Member

Well bar tape is an annoyingly obvious solution! That’ll do nicely thanks

atrthanks
    Free Member

Mine won’t wear gloves, but does like sticking his hands in his pockets.

epicyclo

Bar mitts are wonderful things.

geex
    Free Member

it’s understandable. 😉

I used a thin wrap of self-emalgamating tape inwards of my brake levers for young uns to hold onto the bars more comfortably while I teach’d them the basics of wheelying from the comfort of their weeride seat.

it’s thinner/narrower than bar tape but still insulates/grips well

geex
    Free Member

Ps. 25.4 bars FTWee of hand

The other thing I’d do while riding (on easy bits where you don’t need to be over the brakes) is to take your hands off the grips and just hold on lightly over the wee one’s hands

legend
    Free Member

Got 25.4mm on the go, so he can hold on quite well. Tape of some description is definitely going to be the winner. Don’t have to hold on, I was doing no-handies the other day and letting him steer – he wasn’t great at it tbh 😛

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I wrapped mine up with some thin pipe lagging and secured with a mixture of cloth and electrical tape. Bodge tastic but no complaints.

The wee man is now also wearing gloves. Be careful as kids will get cold fast when not pedalling.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think I can post this photo to the thread…..

sweaman2
    Free Member

ps – for gloves these are the best. Used by Sweajnr to -15C skiing as well.  The extra long zip makes getting them in and thumbs actually useful isn’t a complete battle.  Ours are on our 3rd season in Canada.

https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/junior/36421-baby-zip-long/100100/

geex
    Free Member

So learned to steer for me pretty well. Give the wee man time he’ll be asking you to ghostie him soon enough ;).  The last summer she was still in it the wee nutter made me take her over the funbox at GT.

legend
    Free Member

He’s only 16months – it’ll be a while before he’s asking anything 😀

Got plenty snowsuit kinda outfits so it’s really just the hands (those Hestras look good) and face that are going to be cold through winter

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Grips for Wee/Mac Ride’ is closed to new replies.