Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Grips for the alps
  • portydave
    Free Member

Hi folks

I use superstar size zero grips, and they are fine for everything, except when I went to the alps for the first time last year I got pretty bad hand cramps.

What are folks thoughts for improving the situation? Thicker and/or softer grips, and if so which ones, or just MTFU?

Cheers

jedi

portland design works are my fave grips by miles

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Maybe give the ESI chunky grips a go, also the extra big superstar grips are pretty big if you have long enough bars.

kayak23

Every time I go on biking trips with daily, sustained downhill action, I end up buying new, thicker grips to try to get some shock absorption.
    My current halfway house are specialized Grappler
    which they’ve now discontinued.

Spesh Enduro or spesh Rocca
    grips are well cushioned so will go for them next time.

iolo
    Free Member

Just take what your used to.
    New grips might be awful as it’s personal preference.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Yoink

RobHilton
    Free Member

Grips add weight :mrgreen:

Softer forks/faster rebound might be the answer

Less braking/more pumping might be the answer

Much less death-grip might be the answer

legend
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    Just take what your used to.
    New grips might be awful as it’s personal preference.

This ^

Even replacing grips like or like feels crap until they’ve been worn in for a while. Certainly wouldn’t go thicker or thinner than the sort of grips I like, and are used to using, over here.

Shock absorption is one thing, and completely secondary to having the grip that fits in your hand properly

sofatester
    Free Member

I went to the alps for the first time last year I got pretty bad hand cramps.

Think this might have something to do with it.

Ride more rough trails, get in the gym to strengthen your upper body and MTFU.

Or just buy some new grips as we all know spending money on your bike makes you betterer!

batfink
    Free Member

Odi Rogues are nice and squishy…. although if you have tiny girl-hands they might be a bit big for you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like you did loads more riding than you were used to. Look at setup on the bike too, was the fork to harsh? Were you holding on too hard?

Running some ESI foams (fixed on with window cleaner – leave 24hrs without touching) and they are great but that is more to do with some niggles my fixed thumb rather than anything else and the fact they are easier to chop for grip shift.

Edit: after that same advice as tyres, 2

weeksy

Ebay £4 foam grips. Best grips I’ve ever bought. Cheap, cheerful and soft 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thicker grips will help you to stop over-gripping (ie too tight) which leads to cramps/tennis elbow type strains. As @mikewsmith posted on a typical Alps holiday we are riding much more than we are used to and on harder, rockier ground.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are your brakes good?

I only get arm pump and locked fingers when I’m clamping down on inadequate brakes in the vague hope of slowing down.

eg. Formula RXs on a DH bike riding the Pila to Aosta run last summer.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

FWIW, I tried the ESI chunky grips and found they made my hands sore, despite the recommendations and the fact I’ve got pretty big hands. I much prefer Ruffians and my new fave Race Face Half Nelsons.
    I’d 2nd the option of don’t change just before a big trip but it might be worth playing with the bar angle a little and making sure controls positions are as good as you can get them. Are you wearing arm armour? I used to find that having anything even slightly tight round my fore arms caused arm pump pretty quickly.

turbo1397
    Free Member

+1 for odi rogues.. 😀

Northwind

Probably had Rogues on mine, nice and squishy. I like my ESIs but they’re a wee bit delicate. I will use whatever is on the bike, this year. Last thing you want to do is change to something untested though

spawnofyorkshire

Someone on STW put me on to Oury mountain grips about a year ago… love them
    Squidgy and comfy but surprisingly good grip when wet

I’m just about to hack a pair for my flat bar road bike. They do a lock-on version as well

weeksy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131219346817?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

These are the ones I bought, contoured too so really nice, soft but not too soft and quite bulky. took me an hour or two to get used to them, but super now 🙂

bland

I’d second oury lock ons, having had the same problem previously with cheap superstar grips the oury ones solved it! Just remember to remove your wedding ring as I blistered to buggery due to forgetting to take mine off!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just remember to remove your wedding ring

also helps in the local bars 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Grips for the alps’ is closed to new replies.