Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Grips for hot weather
  • whitestone
    Free Member

What would the STW collective recommend for grips for very hot weather? As hot or hotter than this recent spell. ESI style foam or ODI style silicone lock-ons? Or something else?

Yak

Esi’s. You won’t be in thick gloves so go for the comfiest grip.

Bez

Er

Just some grips

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have some high temp versions of a lot of grips, just tell me the ones you like the most and I’ll see if I can get hold of some from my Aussie contacts. Bit of a special market but you happy to help out there.

bikerider3
    Free Member

I started using some Superstar foam grips, only about £5 for a pair but great for glove-less riding, plenty of grip even with sweaty hands.

whitestone
    Free Member

This is for The French Divide so 2200km rather than just a loop round the local trails.

I’ve ESI grips on the Jones bars and ODI silicone ones on the bars I’ll be using but these are quite old and have “collapsed” so I need to replace them, with something. I’ve got Ergons on my flat/riser bars but I’m actually using a set of Velo Orange Crazy Bars and I couldn’t get the Ergons off! My thoughts are that something using too aggressive a pattern would become irritable over that sort of distance.

As for like: ESI are fine as are the Ergons. Not sure if the ODIs are up to long distance. I used the Ergons on last year’s HT550 so am used to them.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

just like rubbery things innnit. all work

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I used the Ergons on last year’s HT550 so am used to them.

Stick with them if they were comfy, I can get you some with a nice sticker saying rated for up to 60c if you want for only £150 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

@howsyourdad1 – not really. If something is even mildly irritating then it builds up over time especially if your skin is softened through sweat. On the HT550 I had to wrap the brake levers (Hope) in Elastoplast as the holes in the levers were digging in to my fingers. That wasn’t a particularly warm ride either and happened on about the 4th day not the 12th or 15th.

Bez

Ah, ok. If the question is “what grips for long hours, day in, day out” then that makes more sense, though the answer to that sort of question tends to be “whatever you’ve found works for you”. I tend to find lock-ons fairly unyielding and I’d be looking for a dual compound grip with a decent diameter, but YMMV: I have big hands and always wear gloves, you might have tiny hands and ride gloveless.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Bez – true. In a way it was checking to see if there was anything obvious I’d missed. (medium hands and tend to ride with gloves)

PrinceJohn

The same as for the colder days – ODI Longneck BMX grips, soft compound rubber, stickier than a sticky thing & super compliant & comfy.

lovewookie

this really depends on whether you’re a glove wearer, mitt wearer or bare hands type ride.

mitts and bare hands I’d avoid the silicon grips as they become very slippy when sweaty. Gloved hands not so moch of a problem.

I’ve found that the old kraton rubber ODi attack grips work well and aren’t too slidy when sweaty.

jabbi
    Free Member

Renthal Ultra Tacky push ons, grippy even with the sweatiest hands, pretty cheap at £12.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s not just about grip when sweaty but comfort after multiple days’ riding. A day’s riding in this case is 15 hours or more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Grips for hot weather’ is closed to new replies.