Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Grips
  • ready

I have quite large hands and the stock Bontrager grips on my bike feel a bit too thin. What do people recommend for good grips please?

vincienup
    Free Member

Best bet is going to be visiting your local bike shop and handling a few to work out what works for you if you aren’t sure.

Lock ons are almost always worth it over the cheaper slip on options although hairspray can help.

I’ve got pretty big hands and while I used chunky grips for ages because I thought they’d be better. I accidentally bought a set of RF Half Nelson’s when I got the name wrong (which are mid-skinny).   I’m a total convert, they’re much better than the big MX style things I used before.  Don’t just try what you think you want, you might surprise yourself! 🙂

bigblackshed

Oury lock ons.

Proper big man hand grips.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Uberbike do a pretty chunky lockon that’s good value. I ran these for a while but currently use ODI Rogue lockons that are thicker than normal but not quite as fat as the Uberbike ones.

docgeoffyjones

Lock ons are almost always worth it over the cheaper slip on options although hairspray can help.

I find slip on grips are often more comfortable than lock ons as they don’t have collars or a hard plastic sleeve. If you are worried about them slipping glue or grip wire them.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Lock on if you need to remove regularly slip on for comfort. As above glue on if you have any problems with slipping.

kerley
    Free Member

I like ESI Extra Chunky, just enough give.  Slide them on with hairspray and they don’t budge (even in the wet)

alpineharry
    Free Member

I have quite large hands too and also prefer skinnier grips, I use burgtec bartender grips but am also a fan of hope grips that I’ve used in the past

docgeoffyjones

Slide them on with hairspray

I tried to find some suitable hairspray but they are advertise as being non tacky/sticky

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I’m using some of the fat options from Ergon bit tricky to buy (used Amazon in the end), have hands like shovels and they work for me.

Have previously used ESI extra chunky and would concur they’re great too.

James

astormatt
    Free Member

I am a massive ESI fan. I use window cleaner rather than hairspray to slide them on.

BearBack
    Free Member

ESI recomend isopropyl as installation lube.
    They don’t move after that

kerley
    Free Member

I tried to find some suitable hairspray but they are advertise as being non tacky/sticky

This is what I use (true seventies style).  Used for many years and never fails.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Grips’ is closed to new replies.