Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Grippy soles
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

These look a bit OAP/special needs but got some of these from Canada – they don’t sell them over here.

Funny looking but extremely grippy in ice (we got a bit stranded last year at the top of our steep drive) – used a lot by the Canadian post people:

Dodgy boots not included.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Nice find. I’m just waiting for the ‘DIY ice shoes’ where people have put wood screws through the soles of some old trainers. ‘Just as good as the ones you buy guv’ 😉

I just walk around in my biking winter boots with pointy toe studs in. Though I’ve been considering some french ring crampons for my walking boots 🙂

wwaswas

ScrewFix do these;

I nearly bought a pair but working at home I tend not to need to go out much when the pavements are icy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I spent ages looking for them as I REALLY don’t want to get stranded again (baby no 2 on the way in Feb). Couldn’t find anything decent in the UK so had to import some. Maybe a bit OTT but they are pretty well made. They come with 100 spar studs too.

ADH – I considered similar but would probably have ended up stabbing my feet! At a push you could jog with these on (should the need arise…!). Plan to keep them stashed in the Landy.

crazy-legs

I bought some Yaktrax last week, they’re the cheapest of the studded shoe covers but they’re like gold dust at the moment.

Was in one outdoor shop and while I was there about 4 people came in asking for them. I got mine in Cotswolds Outdoors on Deansgate in Manchester, they were down to their last 40 pairs, they’d had 600 delivered the previous week!

Fantastic bits of kit, you can run on snow and ice no problems in them.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Crazy – they sold loads of them when I was last there too (Truro branch)!

I think the ones I got last a fair bit longer but they all do a similar job.

Rich
    Free Member

Microspikes are very good!

Good enough for use in the hills until things get too steep.

Dolcered

my mum has been sporting a pair of these since the snow started, she is 71!

i think the royal mail issue them to the postmen.

iDave
    Free Member

I just screwed some 3.5x13mm screws into a pair of merrells – work a treat and leave no trace when unscrewed

woody2000

Pair of old socks over your boots works too if you’re a proper cheapskate 🙂

maccruiskeen

and if ice is a problem on the drive – ash from your fire (if you have one obviously) can be quite good, doesn’t melt it but sticks to the surface

trail_rat
    Free Member

Grivel ice spikes here

30 quid in Cotswolds

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I make up a sugar syrup, mix in some sharp sand and simply coat my bare soles in that.

Probably handy for the barefoot runners.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mac – our drive is 120 yards long. Needs at least 30kgs of grit to clear it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Grippy soles’ is closed to new replies.