Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Grindy sticky Hope bearing
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I am replacing the drivetrain( just in time for winter I know) and servicing my rear Hope Pro 4’s one of the bearings on the drive side is grinding a bit, not too bad.

Do I replace or is there a work round to get a bit more out of it?
    Rather than buy 4 new ones, I can buy the one, worth it?

Cheers in advance

Northwind

You could clean it out and grease it and get a bit more use out of it but it’s not really worth the hassle tbh. Especially since Hope’s own bearing kits are such good value.

IME with Hope, because the sealing’s pretty poor they all tend to wear at more or less the same rate so I’ve usually replaced all at once but still, there’s no sense in replacing bearings that aren’t worn so if you open it up and find the others are fine, leave them in and save the bearings for some other time. It’s not like say a DT 240 where the 2 outside bearings wear as fast as Hope ones, but the inside ones can last way longer.

Poopscoop

You could pop the seal off mate, degrease/clean and repack with waterproof grease.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

How about a spot of penetrating oils to get into the bearings?

wwaswas

How about a spot of penetrating oils to get into the bearings?

it’ll just flush any remaining grease out.

pop the seal off and flush it out with degreaser, rinse, allow to dry, repack with grease and refit the seal.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

How easy does the seal come off?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just pops off with a pin/needle.

I pack new hope bearings with Mobil XHC222, but once they start to go rough, it’s not worth it IME, just change it, as NW says they’re not expensive.

asbrooks

IME experience once they start to grind it won’t be long before they start to squeal. My rear wheel was doing the musical rendition from close encounters last night. Just change them it’s not difficult to do.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Cheers everyone so far,
    I have just tried adding some grease on, flipping off the seal, reaasembled. Now worse than before.

So before I buy the set of bearings, what tools do I need, I can find the support tool, but I cant find online, the bearing press tool to push them back in with as per the video.This is the most important part of the whole process. I am not sure about the bit of wood I used.

wwaswas

tbh,, if it’s a job you’ll only do once every 2 years you’ll be better paying a bike shop to do.

It’s a pleasure with the right tools (and a frustrating ‘will I stuff them up’ experience without) but you’ll end up spending £20-£30 on the various drifts you need.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Yep I get that, however theres quite a few fellow riders in our Chapter who have Hope Pro 4’s, so a few loans and advice will result in some pints that may outweigh the investment.

Any one got a link for the tool that presses the bearing in?

nixie

The hope tools aren’t presses. You use them to support the bearing as you tap it in.

This has the part numbers for the read hub tools and which you need.

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/documents/RearHubServiceTools.pdf

The front is the same tool for pro2/pro2 Evo/pro4.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Cheers all, actually Johnny at Hope has been fantatsic( as usual) and sent me that link. This is why I buy Hope.

Well i have caved in and am buying the whole lot….

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Got the tools, the bearings and in 10 minutes all done and running smooth as smooth can be.
    Well worth the purchases.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Grindy sticky Hope bearing’ is closed to new replies.