Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Grinding down volume spacers?
  • benjamins11
    Free Member

My bike came equip with quite a large volume spacer (Scott Genius with a Fox float DPS shock). I find it too progressive with the stock one, but too linear without any. To buy a pack of spacers is £25 – has anyone just tried grinding down a big one to a small one?

clubby

Done it with Rockshox fork tokens and it worked great. Shock spacers are a bit more shaped to fit the air canister and washers. Not sure it’d work grinding them down.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I did it. There was a moulding void in the centre that I had to fill with Araldite, but other than that it was no problem. Just make sure you don a neat job.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

There’s a few people now selling individual 3D printed ones on Ebay. I was in the same predicament.

oliverracing

I 3d printed one myself after the cut down one split and started to rattle. I Also printed some for my forks but they were a lot easier as a simpler shape

benjamins11
    Free Member

Thanks guys, will give it a go – I guess the worst that can happen is that I have to buy a set of spacers for £25, unfortunately there is nothing on ebay that is suitable at the moment and dont have access to a 3d printer.

weeksy

To progressive and too linear? You been watching too many pinkbike videos?

For the love of God, you’re not Dan Atherton. Lol

benjamins11
    Free Member

To progressive and too linear? You been watching too many pinkbike videos?

For the love of God, you’re not Dan Atherton. Lol

No I’m not hence why I need suspension that works. With the big spacer the sag was set up correct but getting about half the travel out of the bike, no token sag correct but bottoming out very easily. Its not being a tart to try and get it set up properly.

weeksy

It surprises me that it can’t be decent as it comes. Maybe that’s harsh and based upon my own lack of ability. Dunno.
    But just feels at times like people read what pros say and then mimic it.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Im no riding God or wannabe Dan Atherton believe me. Its a high volume shock, specced with a high volume spacer, which doesn’t make much sense to me. Its the first bike I’ve had with 150mm of travel yet I was finding it didnt feel any better than the one i used to have with 130mm. Effectively what was happening was that I was setting sag correctly then using about 30mm of travel over the sag – just bobbing around in the middle of the travel (i.e. too progressive). I decided to take the spacer out – feels loads better, but unless I set the shock up so hard that I haven’t got the correct amount of sag I’m blowing through all the travel even on relatively gentle stuff and its maybe a little wollowy (i.e. too linear). Hence why I’ve decided that I need a spacer just maybe a lovwer volume one. I guess stock tuning for a range of weights and riding styles is hard for the manufacturers to achieve.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Grinding down volume spacers?’ is closed to new replies.