Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Grey/coloured UPVC windows – would you?
  • RustySpanner

Having all our windows replaced and these have been mentioned as an alternative.

I’d never heard of them before a quick image search suggests they might look better for longer than white UPVC.
    Decent quality hardwood is out of budget (part of a big renovation).

What do you think, decent idea or a bit naff?

Will be going on a mid 70’s dormer bungalow, so we’re already abandoned any pretence at credibility, tbh 🙂

Ta in advance.
    ‘Which porch/bathroom tiles’ threads will follow shortly 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t – think Avocado bathroom suites 20 years after they seed a good idea. White is safe.

RustySpanner

A very good point. 😐

mike399
    Free Member

I think the grey ones could work, but I would be very cautious with anything coloured. You can’t just repaint them if they start looking grubby, or worse, start to fade unevenly?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve fitted blue recently. Yes it was an ultra modern looking thing but they look good. Are they grey foiled or actual profile?

wrightyson
    Free Member
    stumpyjon

Be no different to foil wood effect, the industry has been using them for years. Probably more dirt reppellant than naked uPVC. You also get your windows done to any colour via 2 pack painting, it’s pretty durable. Coloured windows have been around for years, people painted there wooden ones. Dark grey is quite common for powder coated aluminium frames.

globalti
    Free Member

If you ever decide to sell you will probably have eliminated 50% of buyers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cant look any worse than white.

– really it cant.

Mugboo

What about softwood windows with hardwood bottom rails? Ours are 5 yrs old and although ready for a lick of paint on the beading (I will painting the whole window), they are perfect.
    That way you can always go white in the future.

Harry_the_Spider

We had wood effect UPVC at our last house. They looked way better than white and only cost a bit more.

Brushed nickel handles are classier than shiny yellow metal ones too.

Marmoset
    Free Member

It depends on what colour the rest of the building is TBH. Darker window frames tend to look better on light buildings IMO, admittedly these are usually the aforementioned aluminium frames but it could work.

st

Yes.

A job I worked on a littlewhile back had them as a cheaper alternative to aluminium (city centre apartments trying to look contemporary on a budget). Over 189 apartments I thought it looked smart.

I hate white upvc on the basis that once the edge has been taken off the finish by UV and weathering they just look grubby all the time.

I’d be wanting to look at them at home when our new build windows start to fall out of the openings properly.

br
    Free Member

Planning restrictions?

Bregante

I’m definitely looking at grey when we can afford it. We live in a white rendered 30’s property and one of the other similar houses locally has grey powder coated aluminium ones and it looks great.

parkesie
    Free Member

Purple anodised windows?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I think they look smart with the correct render/brick combinations. Much better than white PVC. I’m not sure if these are aluminium or pvc but it will give you an idea of how it could look.

And with some darker render

ajc
    Free Member

White or some tone of grey, yes. Strong colours like blue? Well just take a look at all the hideous blue and red windows on buildings put up in the eighties. You would only regret it. It is very easy to ruin a building with the wrong windows. Both colour and profile are important.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You don’t like my blue windows then? Marmite I suppose!

qwerty
    Free Member

I wuz told the dark upvc expands alot more than white.

timidwheeler

The grey look a bit institutional for my taste. Fine for a council building or prison but a bit industrial for a home.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

The grey looks really good. We’ve replaced the front windows of our house with them and a large double french door. Our house is yorkshire stone. Everyone that’s seen the windows comments about how much better they look than the old white pvc.

Price wise ours windows are 2.5M wide and it cost roughly £125 extra per window for the grey finish.

jfletch
    Free Member

You don’t like my blue windows then?

Following on from the “tarting up a house” thread…

There is a perfectly decent house for sale near us but it has blue gutters. Not selling!

wrightyson
    Free Member

This one sold but its not your average house, see the link if you like.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Grey/coloured UPVC windows – would you?’ is closed to new replies.