• This topic has 45 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by accu.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Grey is such a pity
  • roverpig

What is with the fashion for grey mountain bikes? Even Orange are getting in on the act with the latest publicity shots for the Five. Wall to wall grey. Fancy a Whyte T129? Certainly sir, we have three models to choose from and for 2014 we’ve changed from a dark grey to a light grey.

FFS, mountain biking is an inherently silly activity. Most of the time we are riding round in circles, in the woods, in the mud, or we are throwing ourselves down rocky paths that we know will have us in A&E sooner or later. A mountain bike should reflect the joy and craziness of the sport. If nothing else it should give mountain rescue a fighting chance of finding your broken body.

So, enough with the grey OK.

wwaswas

there’s always been a place for grey in the mtb market;

creamegg
    Free Member

orange bikes are available in most fluorescent colours too. take your pick

ChrisL

A mountain bike should reflect the joy and craziness of the sport.

I agree. Brightly coloured bikes reflect the fun we’re supposed to be having. 🙂

The obsession with “stealth” some people seem to have is baffling, particularly as it generally doesn’t stop them from having Pro II rear hubs.

themoodster
    Free Member

its going to end up brown if you’re using it properly, who cares what colour it is under the mud?

zippykona

Ian Dury,what do I win?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I quite like the fact that people can recognise me riding my orange Soul from a mile away in Pennine mist…

roverpig

Well spotted that man. Your rhythm stick is in the post

Northwind

ChrisL – Member

I agree. Brightly coloured bikes reflect the fun we’re supposed to be having.

You owned a grey Five! And you replaced it with a grey Mojo. And a silver anthem which less face it, is just grey really. It’s amazing the chameleon hasn’t changed colour to blend in.

(prepares self for well deserved hypocrisy-related putdowns)

jam-bo

Nothing wrong with battleship grey…

roverpig

Cute dog. Is there supposed to be a bike there too?

Nothing wrong with battleship grey at all. For a battleship.

tthew

If you stoke your dog hard enough, does black and white blend to a nice grey too? 😀

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Jeebus, not even the dog can bear to look at it…

mindmap3
    Free Member

I quite like grey bikes – in fact my old Beast of the East is off to the powdercoaters to be painted grey tomorrow morning!

My Rune is black but only because I couldn’t get hold of a fluro one anytime soon but by BFe is blue with orange bits balances it out as far as I’m concerned,

I quite like a subtle coloured frame with a few coloured bits to liven it up.

ChrisL

Northwind – Member
    You owned a grey Five! And you replaced it with a grey Mojo. And a silver anthem which less face it, is just grey really. It’s amazing the chameleon hasn’t changed colour to blend in.

(prepares self for well deserved hypocrisy-related putdowns)

Ah yes, my grey Five:

😛

I would have been very happy to get a colourful Mojo, but the raw carbon one was the one available in the right size at a good price. And as you know, I was so traumatised by the loss of my orange Orange, I went and got my Chameleon resprayed from a lacklustre yellow to a glorious orange:

(Yes, I have sorted out the saddle angle since then.)

The Anthem is indeed a bit of a boring colour too, but at least it’s shiny and again it was the only colour available in the size necessary. It’s a pity, as some Anthems have been in great colours, but not that one.

wwaswas

someone fitted your door upside down.

ChrisL

wwaswas – Member

someone fitted your door upside down.

I call that the upside-down room.

_daveR
    Free Member

A grey Orange to go for the full filing cabinet look. (Said as an Orange owner ;))

I bought a black one as it was a second hand bargain. Once it comes round for a refurb it will go in something significantly brighter.

messiah
    Free Member

You are wrong.

Orange and grey can work together.

unovolo
    Free Member

Seem to be a aweful lot of cables on the front of that Santa Cruz.

_tom_
    Free Member

Raw/polished is the best colour for a bike, fact. Luminous orange or kawasaki green are acceptable substitutes though. Says me with two white bikes 🙄

fasthaggis

Good one messiah,just shows you that shades of grey can be exciting 😉

ChrisL

unovolo – Member

Seem to be a aweful lot of cables on the front of that Santa Cruz.

There’s 3 cables (2 mechs + seatpost), 2 hoses. The rest are shadows caused by the flash.

roverpig

And I thought you needed two front brakes to cope with all that power 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Grey bikes you say?

The Pinkster will be along shortly to declare his love for all things grey…..

roverpig

I guess I should confess my own hypocrisy. Here is my current mount:

In my defence I do have every intention of selling it (make me an offer) and buying something more challenging to the eye. Just as soon as I find something that rides better 🙂

fasthaggis

and buying something more challenging to the eye

Don’t bother ,you have a winner right there(or is it just the camera angle) 🙂

nigelb001
    Free Member

Grey is the new err…purple

roverpig

Don’t bother ,you have a winner right there(or is it just the camera angle)

No, you are right, she’s an ugly fecker whichever angle you choose. But then again, I think neon Fives look good, so I should probably keep quiet.

fasthaggis

🙂

singlespeedstu

Grey is the new black.
    Mango is the new purple. 🙂

2013_0323quarterhorse0026 by multispeedstu, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

The more I look at my grey Kona the more I think it’s the best looking bike I’ve owned…

Northwind

ChrisL – Member

Ah yes, my grey Five:

That is weird, I could have sworn it was the battleship grey. False memory syndrome!

roverpig

There is just no hope for some people 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Black is the new grey.

slackalice
    Free Member

Well, if we’re talking grey in the loosest sense

nickc

my new frame isn’t grey. (nearly was though)

shandcycles
    Free Member

I’m a bit partial to some grey….

Tommy’s Stoater in final build by shandcycles, on Flickr

Shades of grey by shandcycles, on Flickr

garage-dweller

Grey road bike with bright green writing
    Pink mountain bike. Now that is manly.

Northwind

shandcycles – Member

I’m a bit partial to some grey….

That’s no way to talk about Nic!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Grey is such a pity’ is closed to new replies.