Viewing 2 posts - 161 through 162 (of 162 total)
  • Gregg’s Vegan Sausage Roll: Redux
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just rather there seems to be a lot of fuss about “no meat” but from where I stand (which isn’t exactly a position of significant interest) very little fuss about the ethics of the thing.

Any ‘fuss’ about ethics would likely be met with more eye-rolling, pre-emptive accusations, argumentation and protest than that encountered when a vegan product is simply advertised for consumption. That said, plant-based ‘meat-alternative’ companies such as Impossible Foods are making a big splash on purpose, and their whole ethos is visible in all of their marketing and mission statements/s, right down to the packaging. What else could they do?

When you say ethics it for some reason made me think that

1. The ethics of animal-exploitation are arguably/currently in some ways distinct from

2. the ethics of Global climate change and sustainable food-provision.

‘Vegan’ (ie […] a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.

and ‘vegan’ (reductive definition of a dietary term, ie food without animal products in the ingredients) are in some ways becoming distinct?

Which of the two (1. and 2.) do you believe is currently having ‘very little fuss made’? And is this lack of ‘fuss’ in question at point of advertising, point of production, or point of purchase/consumption? Sorry if this sounds like a survey Q but I’m pretty interested in this stuff (no shit🤣)

*their animal welfare policy isn’t bad all things considered.

Bold claim. Is it better or worse than their mycoprotein-welfare practice? I half-jest.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Further to Cougar’s Morrison’s pasty review, I since got to try my third pasty and the experience was interesting.

First off – it was sourced from the Bude store, N. Cornwall, so got to test one on a friend/local/lifelong (trad, meat) Cornish pasty-aficionado. A tough subject!

Findings:

– The test-subject/pasty-lover loved it. Went through grief (at it not being meat upon presentation), first-taste, denial, disbelief and then nomnom noises.
    – As previously found – slightly under-baked which is perfect for reheating in the oven.
    – Slight variation as expected from in-store baked goods. ie this one was a little more graveyfied than other two I’ve had.
    – Reheated in oven is the way to go. Have since brushed top of pastry with a little veg oil and or Oatly cream before reheating (for glaze/extra fatstardness) <——Top results.
    – I prefer more black pepper and swede but that’s me/down to personal taste and this goes with most pasties I’ve had.
    – Pleased to see some gravy-leakage from the pastry. Always attractive. Mmm. Leakage.

To summarise – I find they are an ace, tasty, filling meal as supplied, yet improve to next level/authentic on reheating (until the crust is slightly crisp). Better even than so many meat-filled pasties on taste/texture alone. Sadly all these snacky foods are doing me in, so will have to be firm and wave farewell to pastry-based products for the foreseeable. If (OTOH) you’re thin, tuck-in 🙂

PS – Big-up, Mozzers for winning my fat vegan snack for a meatlover challenge. Nothing else comes close IME*

Pics:

*Except samosas. Oh ye gods. Samosas.

Viewing 2 posts - 161 through 162 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Gregg’s Vegan Sausage Roll: Redux’ is closed to new replies.