Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • Gregg’s Vegan Sausage Roll: Redux
  • Cougar

Pastie and sausage roll in the oven.

Hopefully the roll pastry will soften when warm, feels like I could knock nails in with it ATM.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pastie

Pasty.

A pastie is something completely different.

Cougar

It’s either / or. But I know where you’re going with that from when I once started talking about pasties on holiday in the US and got some Spock-grade raised eyebrows.

anagallis_arvensis

What’s for lunch?

“Veggie chilli.”

Oh, you’re vegetarian? (and we’re away…)

Funny cause just today I had

“Whats for lunch”

(Its **** dinner you moron) veggie Bolognese

“You veggie”

No

“Why do you eat that then”

I like it.

“Isnt that a bit weird”

Not as weired as you you fat salad dodger, I wanted to say.

thenorthwind

I like to think I thoroughly confused everyone at the table in a posh restaurant at the weekend by ordering the most vegetarian main course on the menu – halloumi and aubergine bake, bloody gorgeous – to follow my starter of… steak tartare – bland and disappointing.

I can only conclude that people who can’t imagine how a dish without meat can be enjoyable are severely lacking in imagination generally.

Cougar

I do find that thought process to be quite impenetrable. It’s like ordering chicken and someone going “don’t you eat beef?”

Many years ago, I went out for breakfast with a mate (Dave) and one of his mates. Dave got a veggie sausage sandwich, and to save my typing, the same exchange ^^ happened with his mate. Next time we went there, he ordered a pork sausage sandwich. Each time it was just what he fancied on the day (not because he didn’t like the last one).

Vegetarian is a restricted diet, being an omnivore isn’t. I appreciate people not wanting to eat say a veggieburger because they don’t like them, fair enough, but the notion that you can’t because you’re not veggie is just … weird.

funkmasterp

That’s bypassed weird and gone straight to ridiculous!

Cougar

ION

Sausage roll down. Tasty, but the pastry was dreadful. I wonder whether it would have been better if I’d got there at 10am rather than 4pm, it was the last one on the shelf.

Halfway through the pastY. Much better, I’m enjoying this a lot.

Cougar

… and, inhaled, that was lush. I don’t think I’m a fan of vegan pastry particularly but it wasn’t too bad and the filling was delicious. Would nom again.

bob_summers

Never actually had a pasty until this summer at Cumbria Steam Gathering. The vegan one was wonderful, hotter than the sun, just the ticket for standing in the pissing rain on a delightful British midsummer’s day.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I thought you were oot?

ie ‘Dragons Den’, ie with a particular pitcher but the show goes on. No offence, just not much into dancing 😘

, hotter than the sun

Eh, y’alright you!

cromolyolly
    Free Member

esterday you made a lengthy post about your chemical engineering friend calling everything chemicals. I wish you’d at least be consistently vague.

No, the how do you live, everything is chemicals crew is on here. I said

So I asked him how they referred to the kind of ‘chemicals’ that they made – synthetic vs pure, man-made vs natural etc, etc. He said they called them chemicals and everyone understood what they meant. All the other terms were misleading and in many cases innaccurate.

So they called food food, lunch lunch cars cars (even though everything is chemicals)
    The stuff they made they called chemicals. If one of them said that they spilled some chemicals, the didn’t mean their tea, even though everything is chemicals.

You’ve picked a word, attached some arbitrary meaning to it which only exists in your head

Actually the meanings are not remotely arbritary, they are consistent and are in any dictionary you care to pick up. I use one of the meanings and I use it consistently.

As a non-exhaustive but illustrative example, I ate a delicious, nutritious, chemical free hamburger for lunch. After lunch I used some non-delicious, non-nutritional, non-chemical free brake cleaner on my rotors. Because I try to reduce my exposure to chemicals, I used a mask and gloves and I didn’t spray it on my hamburger.

So when I said I try to minimise my exposure to chemicals, I meant the type of things that you might find in brake cleaner. To list all the chemicals I try to avoid would require STW to get another server.

So to answer the people who responded to my initial post about minimising my exposure to chemicals in food by saying are you starving cos everything is chemicals, what word would you like me to use to mean the types of chemicals in the brake cleaner vs the types of chemicals in my hamburger.
    I’ve been trying to think of a word or phrase which works. Toxic doesn’t, because almost everything in the world is toxic to someone or something in the right quantity or context. Artificial doesn’t work because they are quite real. Processed? I process food everyday in my kitchen and it is chemical free, And so on, and so on.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

ie ‘Dragons Den’, ie with a particular pitcher but the show goes on. No offence, just not much into dancing 😘

Fair enough. I was taking the michael a bit but I felt some of it got a bit personal, which makes me take the michael more.

Serious question then: Why would you choose a processed thing like vegan sausage rolls over a veggie samosa, the lebanese pastries stuffed with ground chick pea? something like that, or a bhaji? Are you not concerned that a lot of the vegan stuff available in supermarkets is pretty highly processed and as such not so good for us?

Cougar

The stuff they made they called chemicals. If one of them said that they spilled some chemicals, the didn’t mean their tea, even though everything is chemicals.

But we’ve already explored the “things made by ICI” angle with little conclusion.

Actually the meanings are not remotely arbritary, they are consistent and are in any dictionary you care to pick up. I use one of the meanings and I use it consistently.

Ah, now we’re getting somewhere. Which of these dictionary meanings are you using consistently? That’d be really helpful to know.

I ate a delicious, nutritious, chemical free hamburger for lunch.

That seems highly unlikely. No salt in it, was there?

when I said I try to minimise my exposure to chemicals, I meant the type of things that you might find in brake cleaner.

So what types of chemicals might you find in brake cleaner that also crop up in food?

what word would you like me to use to mean the types of chemicals in the brake cleaner vs the types of chemicals in my hamburger.

I thought you just said your hamburger was chemical-free?

In any case, we’re back to the same argument, you’re asking us to define your terms. “Types” of chemicals is nonsensical in this context. Organic vs inorganic? Man-made vs naturally occurring? Toxic vs non-toxic? FDA-approved or not? MHRA-approved or not? Something else?

Cougar

Why would you choose a processed thing like vegan sausage rolls over a veggie samosa, the lebanese pastries stuffed with ground chick pea? something like that, or a bhaji? Are you not concerned that a lot of the vegan stuff available in supermarkets is pretty highly processed and as such not so good for us

I wouldn’t choose any one of those over the other. Would you? Why?

How is a sausage roll “processed” whereas the other things you list there aren’t?

Is your argument simply that “highly processed” = bad? That would make sense, but things like cornflakes and Greek yoghurt are highly processed, should we be avoiding those?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

But we’ve already explored the “things made by ICI” angle with little conclusion.

Yes, then you misquoted so I clarified

Ah, now we’re getting somewhere. Which of these dictionary meanings are you using consistently? That’d be really helpful to know.

n any case, we’re back to the same argument, you’re asking us to define your terms. “Types” of chemicals is nonsensical in this context. Organic vs inorganic? Man-made vs naturally occurring? Toxic vs non-toxic? FDA-approved or not? MHRA-approved or not? Something else?

No, I’ve made it absolutely clear how am I using the word. I’m asking what word you would prefer that would make it possible for you to comprehend.
    My hamburger was man-made, and chemical, according to some. It was also artificial because it doesn’t occur in nature, but also natural because the processes used to produce it do occur in nature
    As I said previously, everything is toxic to something or someone, it’s only a question of dose.

So why don’t you tell me what chemicals you try to avoid and what group noun you refer to them by?

I thought you just said your hamburger was chemical-free?

Using my definition of chemical, the one I contend is common usage, it was. According to the but-the-whole-world-is-chemicals crew, it wasn’t.

So what types of chemicals might you find in brake cleaner that also crop up in food?

Types – that is the word we are trying to establish.
    Or did you mean specific ones?
    Or did you mean (for illustrative purposes and non-exhaustive) e.g. neurotoxins, carcinogens etc.)

That seems highly unlikely. No salt in it, was there?

There was fat, protein, minerals, all the things we need to stay alive. If you don’t take in any salt you won’t be long for this world.

The third one down in my dictionary. Yours may be different.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I wouldn’t choose any one of those over the other. Would you? Why?

Yes, because.

How is a sausage roll “processed” whereas the other things you list there aren’t?

Depends. What’s your definition of processed?

Is your argument simply that “highly processed” = bad? That would make sense, but things like cornflakes and Greek yoghurt are highly processed, should we be avoiding those?

Not my argument or my contention. Ask any one who works around or is concerned about nutrition and the like. Never heard the advice about only shopping around the edges of a food shop?

Are cornflakes and Greek yoghurt highly processed? What’s your definition of processed?

mahalo

What’s for lunch?

“Veggie chilli.”

Oh, you’re vegetarian? (and we’re away…)

why not just reply ‘Chilli’? and avoid all the nonsense?

mahalo

ive not eaten meat for a year now but i dont consider myself vegetarian. the treatment of animals is one thing but i personally stopped eating meat in an attempt to cut out pies, pasties and sausage rolls which were my biggest vice! but also fast food, takeaways and processed meats etc. always said if i fancy a bacon butty then ill just have a bacon butty. but so far i haven’t caved in and now i never fancy a a bacon butty.

never realised how good a plain old margherita pizza was before! always used to load it up with all kinds of shite – and i swear the veggie versions of chilli and bolegnese we make now is much nicer than the old fleshy stuff.

Cougar

This entire discussion is:

“I don’t eat some things.”

What things?

“you tell me.”

You’re the one throwing around terms like “chemicals” and “processed.” It doesn’t matter one jot how I (or anyone else) define those terms, what’s relevant is how you do.

why don’t you tell me what chemicals you try to avoid

I don’t, generally. I avoid meat, because I’m vegetarian, and cheese, because I’m allergic.

The third one down in my dictionary.

Now you’re just being obtuse. Why not type that out and avoid all this silliness?

Cougar

why not just reply ‘Chilli’? and avoid all the nonsense?

That’s a very good point, actually.

Even then though, it’s not always easy. I went out for a curry with work a little while back, when the food turned up my then-boss suddenly went “where’s your meat?” and then I had about eight of them going at it for 20 minutes.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Anyway, I had two  non-Greggs carnivorous  sausage rolls last night.

Murdered with indigestion for the rest of the night.

I feel vindicated somehow.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I went out for a curry with work a little while back, when the food turned up my then-boss suddenly went “where’s your meat?” and then I had about eight of them going at it for 20 minutes.

No pudding for you.

How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat?

You….yes, you…. behind the bike sheds,…. stand still, laddie!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed the pasty Cougar, don’t blame me for your shortened life tho! If it has non-organic soy in the mince then likelihood is the soy protein will have been processed using hexane. Also used in brake fluid. On rat feeding studies, a person would have to consume roughly 1.4 million veggie burgers a day to approach the levels at which rats start to show neurological problems. And that is assuming that the hexane residue would not evaporate upon cooking. When it comes to soy oil, the highest concentration that has been found is 0.13 milligrams per kg, which means that about 150 litres would have to be consumed to reach the 6 milligrams per day that the U.S. Environmental Agency has determined to be the dose where possible problems may begin to arise. Assuming the pasty has about (IME) half the amount of TVP etc as a burger just be careful not to consume over 3 million of those bad boys a day, otherwise you may get some tingling or something. IANAD etc.

About 2/3rds of animal feed is non-organic soy meal, which is also mostly processed using hexane. Globally, 98 percent of soybean meal produced is used as animal feed, you know, for meat-eaters. Sometimes worth remembering when the inevitable bullshit bingo begins (the beguine) 😉

Quorn being a fungi, I’d assume that the Greggs meat sossies have either the same or more completely safe soy in them. Could be wrong. Ask an expert.

Cougar

🤣

duckman

“On a person would have to consume roughly 1.4 million veggie burgers a day to approach the levels at which rats start to show neurological problems.”

I am up for a challenge….

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*erratum ‘brake cleaner’.

Which reminds me, one day a few years ago in the kitchen as I was spraying the beast, Mrs MR intimated that she ‘liked the scent of GT85’

I liked this development very much so will sheepishly admit to having regularly gotten the spray ’accidentally’ on my skin and clothing, you know, when fettling the old bike. Steady.

Then today this chemical holocaustsoupthing thread got me all up in a paranoid prudeypants, so I looked GT85 up:

Safety data sheet according to Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006, Annex II Revision date / version: 10.07.2015 / 0002
    Replacing version dated / version: 06.11.2014 / 0001
    Valid from: 10.07.2015
    PDF print date: 11.08.2015 GT85TM – [Aerosol]

4.1 Description of first aid measures
    Inhalation
    Remove person from danger area.
    Supply person with fresh air and consult doctor according to symptoms.
    If the person is unconscious, place in a stable side position and consult a doctor.
    Skin contact
    Remove polluted, soaked clothing immediately, wash thoroughly with plenty of water and soap, in case of irritation of the skin (flare), consult a doctor.

What would STW do? Immediately burn my undercrackers with fire and drive to ER, or wait a fortnight for locum GP? What if I’m already ‘unconscious’? What if we’re both ‘unconscious’? wtf

big_scot_nanny

This could rapidly turn into the Veet for Men review thread on Amazon – superb!

Definitely flame, its the only way to be sure…

Cougar

one day a few years ago in the kitchen as I was spraying the beast,

Shouldn’t you keep that sort of activity in the bedroom?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Shouldn’t you keep that sort of activity in the bedroom?

No, that’s where I keep the new bike. Wait, that’s not correct. Since that 1975 EUphemixuposis scare I’ve not been 100% correct. IIRC the trouble began with a rogue shipment of ‘Big D’ nuts. Apparently a long-running batch of nut-packaging cards were printed with foreign DDTees- and if you got your hands on them too often it could affect speech and short-term memory.

And short-term memory.

Try the salmon.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

eg doughnuts

What on earth do you make then with? Vegan Yorkshires don’t work*

Something reminded me of this comment – was getting a special treat for the weekend then noticed M&S doing vegan pizza and three other (some vegan, some not) items for a tenner, ie dirty fries in béchamel etc, One of the items was a tub of churros with sauce. I love donuts so gave them a guilty whirl.

Gobbed them hot for breakfast. Awesome. Checked the packaging, surprised to discover that they (not the sauce) have no dairy in them. In the oven for 8 mins (my oven is rubbish so more like 15 to get the outside a little crunchy)

Much more donut (ie fairground, hot-in-the-bag-style) than those IMO bland-tasting US style ones (Dunkin, Krispy etc) that to me seem like ‘fake’-tasting bland white bread-cake hybrids). The churros come with cinnamon sugar also. Definitely going to seek out a vegan recipe for these now and then get the frying pan out. If pre-packaged and oven-baked can be like this, then my thinking is that fresh batter fried must be even better.

Quick review (not mine) here

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Recipe for a batter using aquafaba:

1 Cup Water
    1/4 Cup Butter Alternative
    2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla
    1/2 Teaspoon Salt
    1/2 Cup Aquafaba – the Liquid Drained from a Can of Garbanzo Beans (or 2 Eggs)
    1 Cup flour or gluten-free flour mix

churros recipe

Gluten free flour mix recipe

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

While I’m at it here (apparently) are some ‘perfect’ vegan Yorkshire puds and (if true) I have to admire the author’s tenacity:

https://avirtualvegan.com/vegan-yorkshire-puddings/

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Had my 1st ever vegan *item* (AFAIK) yesterday which was the Greggs ‘sausage’ roll. Only bought it to see what the fuss was about & also had a beef & veg pasty.
    The SR just tasted slightly ‘herby’ to me & little to get exited about. (The pasty was better but still not the best I’ve ever had)

Cougar

TBH, the “fuss” isn’t that they’re the best thing ever, rather that they exist at all.

Fair play for trying it, mind.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

are some ‘perfect’ vegan Yorkshire puds

Hmmm Skeptical man is skeptical.

That said I don’t really like Yorkshire puddings, rather make pancakes instead. (but it’s oddly wonderful as part of toad in the hole).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

TBH, the “fuss” isn’t that they’re the best thing ever, rather that they exist at all.

I’d be interested to see how ethical a lot of the high Street stuff is, as opposed to just not containing any animal product. (if it’s actually ethical its a very good thing and worth the fuss, if it’s just – as I suspect – bear minimum requirement, it’s not a thing worth fussing about compared to the meaty alternative)

I can imagine there’s probably a whole bunch of incinerated orangutan and the like behind a greggs “vegan” sausage roll. All fine if you’re fine with that but it I can’t help feel its a bit like people not liking too see identifiable meat but happily chomping on a burger.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I can imagine there’s probably a whole bunch of incinerated orangutan and the like behind a greggs “vegan” sausage roll.

Must be true then.

Supposedly 100% sustainable palm fat according to their website. Although I’d like to see independent body verify this were I ever to buy them again/regularly (not happening). I asked in the shop but they directed me to the website.

I can’t help feel its a bit like people not liking too see identifiable meat but happily chomping on a burger.

I can’t help feel it’s a bit like you didn’t check before imagining, then from that imagining you go on to further assume that others don’t? Projection? 😉 knowing and having known a number of vegans and veggies including her indoors I can’t help but feel that vegans and veggies are on average more likely to be interested in ethically/sustainably-sourced food than the average run-of-the-mill mass-produced sausage-grabber? I’d be unhappy to be wrong in that assumption, but it is at least partly informed by experience. Offered here not so much as a rebuttal, more as some hope?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

product. (if it’s actually ethical its a very good thing and worth the fuss, if it’s just – as I suspect – bear minimum requirement, it’s not a thing worth fussing about compared to the meaty alternative)

That’s rather more of a tricky claim.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Must be true then

Oh I don’t mean to suggest it is. Just rather there seems to be a lot of fuss about “no meat” but from where I stand (which isn’t exactly a position of significant interest) very little fuss about the ethics of the thing.

I can’t help but feel that vegans and veggies are on average more likely to be interested in ethically/sustainably-sourced food than the average run-of-the-mill mass-produced sausage-grabber?

And I wholly agree, for the most part they are. I’m not sure Gregg’s is your average vegan though.* (this is more to do with a distinct distrust of big business to do anything but look after its share price)

*their animal welfare policy isn’t bad all things considered.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Gregg’s Vegan Sausage Roll: Redux’ is closed to new replies.