• This topic has 52 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by csb.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Greggs Concierge
  • grtdkad

They don’t make a big song and dance about it. They just do it. Every single day. And have been doing for years

^^this^^ is so important.
    Thing is, I knew the Greggs daughters many many years ago. Nice normal kids.

Back in Newcastle in the 70s and 80s Greggs had an “outlet shop” for ‘seconds’ on the West Road in Fenham. Tough area Fenham back then. But Greggs ahead of the time being generous and philanthropic to be selling mis-shaped stotties and pasties at a fraction of RRP.
    There were always queues down the street when my bus passed on the way to school.

Drac

Forgot about that.

kelvin

That’s some tedious link.

You are charmingly naive Drac. Please, never change (or move area).

Drac

I’m not just realistic to know that’s now what Chewkw meant.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If that’s not what he meant, what did he mean?

kelvin

Just google ‘fried chicken trope’ Drac.

Although, as a ‘real person’, I’d like to make it clear, that I also like the occasional cheeky KFC.

tjagain

It was effing obvious what Chewy meant! Only pretty mild on the scale of racist twaddle but obviously so

Drac

Fatties and/or the ‘chavs’.

I know about the fried chicken trope Kelvin seen enough people share that crap YouTube channel of the kid eating at different venues and the origins of fried chicken.

piemonster

Have to admit I read that post much the same as TJ

jwray

I lived on the street next to that Greg’s seconds shop in mid 80s. We lived off the dodgy shaped stuff they sold there. And yes, queues 30 min before delivery times were massive.

Pretty sure it’s still going.

kelvin

Was there one in Rusholme? I used to get 10p iced buns from there as a student. Might have been another baker.

jwray

One I knew was on west gate road, down the hill from the general hospital

It great to hear they still do their bit like that.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It is way deeper than just that kid reviewing chicken shops on YouTube.

But I guess we’re just letting it slide and mild racism is ok on STW now.

Drac

It is way deeper than just that kid reviewing chicken shops on YouTube.

FFS! That was one example.

But I guess we’re just letting it slide and mild racism is ok on STW now.

Yeah that’s it. 🤦🏻‍♂️

v8ninety

Reading Chewkw’s post and coming up with the ‘fried chicken trope’ possibly says more about the reader and his/her internal biases than it necessary does about Chewkw’s intentions, which are, at best (and as always) unclear.

you know the ones that always go for KFC/McDonald.

If he’d have said just ‘KFC’, or ‘fried chicken’ then the criticism may have been more valid, but including McDonalds leads me to believe that he meant the ‘Chavs/ working class types go to Maccies/KFC’ trope, rather than any race thing.

I could be wrong, but I’m inclined to give the benefit of the doubt, rather than scream ”racist! Burn him!”.

tomhoward

Chewkw’s intentions

To get a reaction.

Drac

Precisely V8.

chewkw
    Free Member

Just to clarify I meant Chavs ok … 🙄

I have no idea about KFC/fried chicken is a race thing.

csb

At the end of each day the local Greggs comes and delivers all the unsold food from the day so the kids have all got lunch the next day. They don’t make a big song and dance about it.

Well, they have got some work to do to overcome their ‘paedophile heir’ shame. PR department earning their money.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Greggs Concierge’ is closed to new replies.