Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Greg Minnaar Tour
  • beagle
    Free Member

Anyone been? Any good? Any insights I wouldn’t get from re-listening to a podcast interview?

heebyjeeby

Went to the one in Leeds this evening…all pleasant enough but couldn’t help feeling a bit shortchanged.

Not massively insightful and came to an abrupt ending then it was over.  No q and a and little audience interaction.

He seemed nice enough no more no less

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

As above. Not sure how many he has done before and for sure public speaking is not easy, probably more nerve wracking than being in the start gate!

A bit of and intro, outro and q and a would gave been better.

timbog160

I enjoyed it. He’s clearly still learning and it was a little clunky. I liked how he gave some insight into the people around him – nobody can achieve at that level without it being a team effort. I suspect he might actually be better on a podcast as he’d be more relaxed.

DrP

Me and a few of my local lot have been to see Hans Ray, Steve Pete, and due to see Minnar soon…
    Will be interesting to see how they all compare!

Hans was really good… Peaty was a bit boozed up I think, but was funny!

Looking forward to Greg!

DrP

andyr
    Free Member

I went to the Gateshead one on Sunday. I thought he was still getting into the hang of public speaking but still good. Really enjoyed it, we even got the added bonus of Danny Hart on stage for a bit of Q&A between them. We’re in for some anglo-saxon man love after next years races apparently (blame the French). Agreed it would have been nice to have an audience Q&A but at least he was signing stuff at the merch stand in the interval.

reluctantjumper

Going to see him Thursday, have seen Hans and Peaty before so expecting similar to that. Saw Hans at the beginning of his tour and he was obviously still feeling his way but Peaty’s was the last show in Cheltenham and he’d got it figured out by then so it flowed better. I’m not expecting a laugh-out-loud comedy show so as long as there’s interesting stories I’ll be happy.

bigwill
    Free Member

Saw him the other night in Newcastle , I enjoyed it you could tell he hadn’t had much experience of speaking on stage, he came across as a genuinely decent person and there were some interesting insights, but at times it felt a bit disjointed. he is definitely better at living it than talking about it. Still worth the £20.

beagle
    Free Member

Thanks All 👍

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Glad to see he is getting better, he did Stirling first and was rubbish! So nervous, content was all over the place and he rambled on about mm adjustments in his v10 swingarm length for ages.

Peaty & hans reay both did similar talks in stirling as well and were significantly better.

reluctantjumper

It was as bigwill said, he’s not a natural public speaker but he came across well and got the audience laughing and into what he was saying. Did loads of autographs/selfies in the interval and afterwards too. My brother-in-law and sister work at the theatre and both said he was a genuinely polite and humble person to work with, not always a given!

cyclelife
    Free Member

The realisation that DH racing is a short career has led the likes of Peaty and Minnaar to look for income in their “retirements”. Unfortunately, Peaty has branded a load of shite products with his name which he expects us to buy, he may get a bit more out of managing the “The Syndicate” for SC but please don’t expect me to pay to come along to listen to his boyish, alcohol based musings on his career or any of the other “lads” getting in on the bandwagon.

Rob Warner on the other hand seems to have found his feet as a commentator and has spared us most of his antics on the race circuit!

Speeder

please don’t expect me to pay to come along to listen to his boyish, alcohol based musings on his career

Thought he was pretty good when I saw him in Malvern on his tour.

BoardinBob

don’t expect me to pay to come along to listen to his boyish, alcohol based musings on his career or any of the other “lads” getting in on the bandwagon.

You must be a right laugh at parties

russyh
    Free Member

I enjoyed the Peaty talks, I am hoping Greg’s will be just as enjoyable.  I don’t expect them to be polished after dinner speakers.  I hope it’s an enjoyable evening out listening to a legend of the sport I love to follow and participate in.

trumpton
    Free Member

Rob Warner has only spared us of his antics since he has done redbull tv and toned everything down. When he did freecaster before redbull things were a bit different and often involved alcohol!

JAG

I enjoyed the Peaty talks, I am hoping Greg’s will be just as enjoyable

This ^ is what I think.

Peaty did a good job. I wasn’t expecting a professional, polished after-dinner-type speaker and I didn’t get one! What I got was a genuine bloke sharing stories from his career – which is what I wanted from him and what I expect to hear from Greg too :o)

tails
    Free Member

The realisation that DH racing is a short career has led the likes of Peaty and Minnaar to look for income in their “retirements”.

Lots of other sportsmen do similar, ones who should have earned far more than bikers. Also there is a recent interview on vital between him and loic where he talks of making his money last, so I’m not sure he’s pissedit up the wall. He’s always come across as a nice chap, dont see what the problem is.

cyclelife
    Free Member

No problem with it. I just won’t be going 😉

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I have a spare ticket to see him in Bath tomorrow evening (17th) should anyone want to go.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

…bump for lunchtime crowd

malv173
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Peaty’s talk. Great to hear the big dpg’s story in his own words. Quite a few laughs and a touch of emotion as he’d not long lost his dad.

I’m going to see Greg this evening in Buxton. Should be interesting at the very least. An evening with friends, listening to a legend of the sport talking bikes can’t be a bad thing!

nickc

Same here, meeting some friends there, Thai dinner booked, looking forward to a great evening

twistedpencil

Well that was a good night. Met the Syndicate team past and present, my lad was starstruck by Greg and Loris, and Greg was a proper gent remembering my lad from the pub at the half time interval.

Saw some magazine editor as well but was too shy to say hello 🙂

LAT

BoardinBob

You must be a right laugh at parties

Cyclelife

No problem with it. I just won’t be going

😁

chrismac

Thought about going but was disappointed by the hans rey tour so going to give it a miss.

rascal
    Free Member

Seeing him in Loughborough tonight. Should be good.

chrisyork

Yes went to see the Leeds one, he’s always been one of my favourite riders!

I don’t think it’s fair to knock him, he’s admitted he finds public speaking the hardest and is always learning and I actually loved hearing just how involved he gets in bike design and changes. When you ride that bike you can think Greg Minnaar’s had a big say in this!

I’ve seen Peaty’s talk and pretty much know what to expect, they’re bike riders not entertainers or Rob Warner but it’s that respect they get for how hard they work…. recommend that, then go home and watch Vision from Veronique Sandler!

chrisyork

Also I went down at the interval and he was just there, shook his hand, had a brief chat and wished him the best….just a top bloke!

rascal
    Free Member

Saw him last night.
    Clearly public speaking doesn’t come naturally but his story is interesting so he pulls it off. I couldn’t get up and talk about myself in front of 150 people that’s for sure. Lots of blokes at the end drooling over the old v new V10s by the stage – I was one of them 😉
    Met him afterwards and chatted about Wales v SA next weekend…not sure where he’ll be but he’s going to try and catch it. Top bloke – bloody tall too!

gregburnham

Went last night in Leamington, was an enjoyable evening. As others have said, it’s clear that he’s new to public speaking, but engaging and interesting none the less, and certainly got more and more comfortable as the night went on.

A really good insight into what it takes to be that good, for that long. Definitely recommend it…

scaredypants

Hans Ray, Steve Pete, and due to see Minnar

Sometimes those tribute acts can be pretty much as good as the real thing, hey ? 😉

scandal42
    Free Member

Not entirely sure why you would get someone who is so poor at public speaking to do public speaking.

I thought the whole thing was shabby if I’m honest.

No introduction, just straight into it as though we’d already had a 10 minute warm up.

No proper ending, just finished the last thing he was talking about and pretty much walked off.

As a standalone show it was not worth the entry fee.

chrisyork

Can’t help thinking that you’re missing the point, he’s not an actor and doesn’t confess to be….. if you listened to the downtime podcast he even said he’s learning lots about public speaking….he does his talking on the bike and the way he rides it if you ask me.

For me it was the opportunity to have an icon of MTB taking you into his world and I just wish that Loris was there for the Leeds one too….some uk people have been very lucky!

Lionheart
    Free Member

Having been I can see some people’s points above. Always impressed by him so we were looking forwards to it. He’s one of my favs on the DH circuit, age, experience and as said above a gent. Clearly not a public speaker but a good effort. Points that came home to us: left school at 14 to become a full time cyclist (how does anyone else ever catch up?!), hard as nails or when he has his competition head on, he feels no pain – coming in top five at a WC with an off and finishing with compound fracture, (again cycling mortals would be in an ambulance!), lots of support from others, family remortgaging house, friends and contacts helping out, how he rode unsuitable and often too small bikes bloody quickly (Can’t ride better bikes half that speed) and last and not least his involvement in bike development. And a ps, no sign of him slowing down, pulling out etc.. talking so enthusiastically about future tweaks to bike and keeping fit to be up there in the top five!

russyh
    Free Member

Well I thought he was great, delivered much more than the ‘lads, lads, lads’ content of Peatys (which I also enjoyed differently). But then I went in expecting to hear from a Downhill racer, not a polished after dinner speaker! I thought he was charming, with some understated cheeky humour.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Greg Minnaar Tour’ is closed to new replies.