Greenman festival regulars step forth.

Home Forum Chat Forum Greenman festival regulars step forth.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Greenman festival regulars step forth.
  • Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Slight hijack, but if anyone wants a little person’s ticket (5-12yrs) I have one going spare.

Unfortunately DD already has a ticket so he can’t use it.

deadlydarcy

Wee man not coming? 🙁

EDIT: there’s a GM forum where you might be able to shift it – sometimes people on there looking for them.

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

It’s my first GM festival, I’m going for two reasons:
    I missed Wilderness (it’s local)
    I want to see PJ Harvey
    I heard it’s ace
    But never having been would like to know all the little secrets you have- the little raves, the best bars, the weird, the mundane, whatever.
    Please PM if you don’t want to share with the general googling public.
    Thanks

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber
    CountZero

Greenman isn’t that big, I’m not at all sure it has much in the way of best bars, little raves, etc, although there might be some tucked away, I’m not interested enough to be wanting to stay up until stupid o’clock just to get shitfaced with a bunch of people I don’t know being deafened by music I don’t like.
    It does have some late-night stuff going on, to be sure, Charlotte Church ran one last year, but it’s a very compact festival, not like Glastonbury which is the size of a city.
    This year is only my second, but I enjoyed last year so much I booked my ticket at the end of August as soon as early bird tickets were announced, just because there’s so much great music in a site that’s dead easy to get around fairly quickly and easily, there’s a great beer marquee and there’s good food available everywhere.
    I suggest you have a shufti at this site and print off a set of pages when they give they go ahead; although the little lanyard with all the times and venues you can get on entry is invaluable, the clashfinders sheets give a much better idea of how artists overlap.
    http://clashfinder.com/s/gm2017/?user=0bkdy7.py
    Currently it’s showing that Sleaford Mods and The Shins directly clash, which is annoying because I’ve seen neither and want to see both, but it’s almost inevitable that something will.

smiffy

I’m waiting for the “Last Waitrose before Green Man” sign to appear at Llanfoist, as it does every year.

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

Last Waitrose you say…

CountZ- I realise it’s not massive, but two other similar size festivals, No6 and Wilderness have stuff off piste, that was what I was wondering.
    I like drinking with people I don’t know as well.

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

How does it fair after rain?
    Friday looks a bit wet, then okay sat and Sunday.

milky1980

The site holds up ok to a day of rain but any more than that and it gets a bit sloppy, the soil is a mix of river mud and sandstone so it can be solid in one bit and gloop right next to it. If the river is up after a few days rain in the mountains the lower field can get waterlogged due to the rising water table. It’s been pretty good there recently so you should be fine.

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber
    CountZero

Quick PSA, Clashfinders are now giving the go ahead to print the final listings for the weekend.
    Mine are printing right now.
    Weather looks pretty good, bit of fine rain early morning on Thursday and Friday, afternoons looking really rather good for lounging around, eating, drinking great beer and watching some top-notch bands!

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

Nice one.
    Thinking of taking the tip bikes for a little morning pootle before getting on it in the afternoon.

CountZero

My Clashfinders printouts are now liberally covered with yellow highlighter! 😀

Premier Icon jkomo
    Subscriber

Mine is printed and laminated.

deadlydarcy

First time for me this year – certainly not my last. Can be hard work popping from stage to stage to catch different acts with a sleeping child in tow so mostly for us it was the Far Out stage and the Mountain Stage. It’s an utterly beautiful setting – with the Black Mountains as a backdrop to the main stage. We had an excellent weekend – saw some great acts and met some really nice people. Not bad company too. 😉

Weather was kind till last night but it didn’t dampen our spirits for Sleaford Mods who were bloody excellent.

How’d you find it jkomo?

CountZero

Really enjoyed it again, the weather could have been kinder yesterday, but The Shins and Peej put on superb shows, and I discovered some new artists which cost me a few bob on CD’s in Rough Trade.
    Hurrah For The Riff Raff, were very bit as good as I hoped they’d be, then to top it they did a thirty minute set at Rough Trade, and Alynda their singer signed a CD for me.
    Saw Adrienne from Big Thief do a short set there before the main set, Siobhan Wilson opening on the Mountain Stage, then at a signing, then at Rising, and the remarkable Gaelynn Lee at the Walled Garden, amazing voice and fiddle playing.
    Field Music were a lot better live than I thought they’d be, missed Sleaford Mods, I really wanted to see The Shins and Peej, and there wouldn’t have been enough time to get to Far Out and back, I’d have been stood at the back for Peej, whereas I was right at the front.
    Such a great festival, I’ll be booking my earlybird ticket on the release day for next year!
    Have any issues getting out of the car park, dd?

deadlydarcy

Did hear rumours of it being hard work and big queues out of Orange. We were in blue and out of there by 11ish so we were ok. Stopped in Abergavenny for a bite and a coffee and moseyed back to Bristol. Tent drying out in back garden – properly rained on us just as we were folding it. 😡 But at least just rain – managed to avoid it being too muddy.

Bloody great festival though. So much going on there.

CountZero

Yeah, Orange was a bit slimy! I didn’t have any issues, but there are two exits, the upper one seemed to be causing issues with low-slung cars because it’s a bit rutted and cars were just getting stuck. They had one of those little 4×4 buggy things sat there just in case. Lower exit was much easier, although one bloke in front of me used too much right foot and just got wheelspin, so had to have three blokes rock the car forward and get moving.
    Should have stuck it in second!
    Fortunately I started a bit later, and took my smaller bits and bobs back to the car on my trolley, shrink wrapped in place, then went back for the tent and groundsheet, by which time the sun came out.
    All that rain still got under the tent, but the groundsheet kept it all nice and clean.
    I’ll have to see if the garden’s big enough to set it out to dry properly!
    As you say, bloody great festival, dead easy to get to, and it’s becoming my default festival now, it’s just exactly the right size.

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

The only time I have been to the Greenman festival was in my tractor to tow vehicles out of the camping fields after a particularly wet year. Not a bad days work to be fair 🙂

CountZero

There was a bloody great tractor and trailer in the Orange car park when I was going back to my car, but I think it might have just been delivering hay bales to dry up some of the slop.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.