• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Green patios
  • rossburton
    Free Member

In the spring I pressure washed our patio which was turning brown and restored it to a lovely limestone. Now, it’s going green already. Obviously another pressure wash will only last so long, especially over a Cornish winter, so can anyone recommend anything to actually keep the mould/algae away?

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Algon organic path/patio cleaner is good

madxela
    Free Member

Mild bleach solution, followed by a PVA sealant. You will still need to do it annually, but looks better for longer.

legend
    Free Member

Not Swarfega patio cleaner….. which smells suspiciously like Muc-Off

binners

We just spray this stuff all over our stone path. Christ only knows whats in it, but the speed with which it kills anything organic is staggering 😯

wwaswas

Binners garden:

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Alkem algae cleaner followed by Propel sealer

cloudnine
    Free Member

MMC pro moss killer..
    Cleans and inhibits regrowth.

trailwagger
    Free Member

wee on it!

footflaps

Christ only knows whats in it, but the speed with which it kills anything organic is staggering

Using up old stocks of Agent Orange….

timmys

Anyone have any advice for removing lichen (black spots)? Pressure washing doesn’t touch them. The other thing I tried was Jeyes Fluid which also did sweet FA.

rossburton
    Free Member

Our window cleaner has something that can get rid of lichen as he did a single tile as a “free sample” so now we have a single clean tile which looks rather odd.

I’m pretty sure it’s a rather strong acid.

windyg
    Free Member
    cloudnine
    Free Member

Be careful putting acids on a limestone patio as it may stain or discolour it.. just saying

Murray

Stain / discolour / dissolve!

selkirkbear
    Free Member

Percarbonate (Vanish laundry destainer) in very hot water and apply with a deck scrubber

spooky_b329

As cloudnine says…if you are thinking of any sort of chemical or cleaner (even organic) test a strong solution somewhere first! Its natural stone so check first.

There are horror stories of people turning their expensive paving orange with the wrong type of cleaners. You can even stain them by using lawn fertiliser, watering it in and then walking it across the patio.

I just use a patio cleaner attachment on the jetwash, once every six months or so. I always wait for a manky rainy day and just suit up in wellies and waterproofs.

CHB

No chemicals here, just one of those spinny hovercraft type patio cleaners on the Karcher. Easy peasey and much better than using the lance.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Green patios’ is closed to new replies.