Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Green download arrow in Firefox – how to get rid of it?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

Just upgraded Firefox from 18 to 20. Now when I download, there is an annoying large green arrow that intrudes onto the viewing screen instead of the download box sitting quietly at the bottom.

I have removed the green arrow from the menu in irritation but then cannot see how downloads are doing – is it possible to get the download box back or some other method that does not employ the annoying green arrow?

Thanks

Cougar

I’m not sure about this ‘green arrow’ business, but you should be able to show / hide the download window with Ctrl-J.

“Download box” sounds like a plug-in to me, though; or at least, not default behaviour.

Cougar

That said, I appear to have missed updating this box, it’s still on 19.0.2. Hold the line please, caller… (-:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

my green arrow disappears well before the download’s finished and just has the little arrow on the toolbar – I wonder if yours is staying because it’s no longer got a bar to go to 🙁

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Well, it could well be me, but I could not get the download window, just the irritating arrow.

I reverted version back to 18 as I download a lot of small files and its already driving me nuts with the green flashing. Thanks for an answer by the way, appreciated.

If control J works on v20 let me know as I have reverted to the previous version of Firefox for now.

Cougar

HOLY CRAP that’s ugly! Wow.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Oh, so pleased its not just me that thinks its rubbish. I am not usually impatient with new programs but I just saw it and knew it would drive me nuts seeing it all the time.

Cougar

^J now opens a “Library” window, which seems to be some sort of bastard hybrid of downloads, history and bookmarks.

Colour me unconvinced so far. I’ll report back when I actually download something.

scaredypants

if you left click on the toolbar button it shows recent downloads and then the “show all downloads” option opens the old-type box

what’s ugly coogles ? I hadn’t noticed many changes but then I’ll never make a copper

(edit-I see, the box is now your ugly hybrid – colOr me couldn’t give a shit)

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Its not so much that its staying, its that its flashing a lot. I download a lot of tiny files so it appears for a new download every time I pick out the new file to save to drive – every couple of seconds or so, due to my usage/manual triggering of downloads.

Cougar

Toolbar button? Oh yeah, I didn’t see that. Is that the superhero-sounding Green Arrow of the OP’s, then?

Curiouser and curiouserer.

scaredypants

you on some high-bandwidth pronathon ?

Cougar

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/find-and-manage-downloaded-files

This article describes what information is displayed, how to access your downloads, manage your files, revert to the old downloads window, and set downloading options.

scaredypants

cougar, a big arrow briefly pops up when you start a download – I guess I’d be cross if that was happening all the time, and obscuring some lady’s officer Dibbles or something

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Thanks scaredypants. If I remove the toolbar green arrow button (see no other way of disabling it yet) how can I get the show all downloads to display still? Or will it keep flashing the green arrow regardless of removing it from the tool bar?

I got so annoyed I reverted to prev version so cant test it now.

Wish it just flashed in the toolbar or something instead of intruding right into the page.

Cougar

Also,

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2688791

Starting in Firefox 20, downloads are displayed in a pop-up panel attached to an icon on the navigation toolbar. For details, see the following article.
    https://support.mozilla.org/kb/find-and-manage-downloaded-files

If you’d like to disable this feature in favor of the old Downloads window, perform the following steps.

Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter.
    Press the big button to bypass the warning.
    In the search box, paste browser.download.useToolkitUI
    In the search results, double-click browser.download.useToolkitUI to set its value to true.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Ah, I am not the only one complaining
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2682857

scuttler

Green Arrow tells your missus you’ve been at teh pR00ns

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I think I will just stick with the older version for now as I had no issues with it.

Cougar

Well that was five minutes of my life I’ll not get back, then.

toby1

Chrome has one too, it doesn’t really other me though, been seeing it the nightly builds for ages now.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Sorry Cougar, did not mean to sound ungrateful. Its not been a good day for me so bit short tempered with the new upgrade. When I started doing the internet search and seeing the hoops to jump through just to get rid of a poor design element it was a bit the final straw to the day really.

Appreciated you helping. Maybe I will feel more up to playing with the program later in the week.

Cougar

I know, I’m only yanking your chain.

When in doubt, assume an implied smiley on my posts.

logical
    Free Member

Try This or this or maybe even for the corporate iWhores

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Green download arrow in Firefox – how to get rid of it?’ is closed to new replies.